Notary Rotary
Signing Central - Use it correctly!!
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to April, 2013 Index

Posted by notary/OR on 4/18/13 3:10pm
Msg #466253

It is my understanding that Signing Central is a system for notaries to check companies on payment history. Do they pay on time...or not? And the star rating is according to this information. Am I wrong? Because I find it really unprofessional the comments about the "lowballing scum" and the "a$$holes". What is this? If you made that comment then I assure you it is your unprofessionalism that is losing you work.

One star ratings because you thought they were rude on the phone when calling to request an appointment? Come on....

I am utterly amazed that people that call themselves professionals think this is helpful for the rest. Scum????? I hear that from my high schoolers........

How can we manage this better?

Reply by jba/fl on 4/18/13 3:42pm
Msg #466256

Since it is self-regulating.....need I say more?

Reply by Buddy Young on 4/18/13 3:53pm
Msg #466257

We've discussed this several times in the past. We pretty much agree that notaries need to be more consistant in their ratings of SS, Title, etc.

I drew up a rough rating system and need everyones help in refineing it so everyone can use it to rate companies. I haven't run every possible senerio through this to see how it would come out. Please refine it at your leasure and post your results. This is just a rough draft.

1.) Recieved assignment at least 2 hours before appointment.
yes= 10 points
no = 6 points

2.) Recieved documents at least 2 hours before assignment.
yes = 10 points
no = 6 points

3.) Professional and pleasant on the phone.
yes = 10 points
no = 0 points

4.) Easy to get ahold of ( you actually talk to a real live person )
yes = 10 points
no = 6 points

5.) Paid
yes = 10 points
no = -25 points

6.) Paid within 30 days ( postmarked)
yes = 10 points
no = 8 points

7.) Paid within 45 days ( postmarked)
yes = 10 points
no = 6 points

answer both 6 and 7

8.) follow up phone calls to you.
0 or1 = 10 points
subtract 1 point for each call over 1

9.) excessive instructions.
yes = 8 points
no = 10 Points

10.) needed to be reminded to pay you.
0-1 times = 10 points
More than once = 4 points

Another one you could possible add is: Paid at least average.

suggested rateing scale

92-100 points = 5 stars
88-91 points = 4 stars
83-87 points = 3 stars
75-82 points = 2 stars
>75 points = 1 stars

Refused Job because of low rate = 2 or 3 stars

Have fun with this

Buddy

Reply by Jessica/FL on 4/18/13 4:04pm
Msg #466260

I agree for the most part. There are some issues that are beyond the SS control.
1.) Recieved assignment at least 2 hours before appointment.
yes= 10 points
no = 6 points

2.) Recieved documents at least 2 hours before assignment.
yes = 10 points
no = 6 points

#1 The SS is just placing the order when they receive it. If I am sitting around with no signings until later, I am happy to take the last minute assignments.
#2 The SS is not creating the documents. This is a lender issue. The SS wouldn't be keeping the documents hostage.

Just my .02

Reply by Shoshana/AZ on 4/18/13 6:45pm
Msg #466280

Nice in theory but too complicated and cumbersome.

I did not even read all the way to the bottom!

Reply by Lee/AR on 4/18/13 3:57pm
Msg #466258

As jba/fl said, it's self-regulating...and beauty (or scum) is in the eye of the beholder. I'm totally unaware of the idea that "on time payment means 5 stars" (tho' it would be one of many factors). There can be (IS, imho) more criteria than just timely payment...like 'decent pay' or no faxbacks or no babysitting or, or, or that make a company a 5 star. A $50 co. that pays in a week--(that's a joke)--would NOT be a 5-star company in my eyes.

The number of stars is really just a quick indicator of what you're going to see when you read the comments. The comments will tell you just about everything you want to know.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 4/18/13 4:11pm
Msg #466263

I agree, Lee! n/m

Reply by Luckydog on 4/18/13 4:26pm
Msg #466265

Re: I agree, Lee!

Personally, I like to read what everyone says and take it face value. Nothing needs to be regulated, you just need common sense when reading it and pull out what is important to you.
It is not only about pay scale, it is the SS and their operations. What I do not like reading is people advertising their own agendas on the forum to solicit their business.

Reply by Louis Pescarmona on 4/19/13 1:04pm
Msg #466355

What about notaries that give deadbeats a 5-star rating because they were really NICE on the phone and they paid by Paypal. How someone pays it a test of their character. This really distorts the true picture of who these people are. Who cares how nice they were. Con artists are the nicest people on earth. I just want a company that is well organized, pays a fair fee and pays on time. Personally, if I were to accept a job and had to be paid via Paypal, I would want to keep it a secret.

Reply by MW/VA on 4/18/13 4:32pm
Msg #466266

I've heard about some of the language used on FB. While I agree that certain language isn't professional, "freedom of speech" is taken very literally these days. If you think that's shocking, why not take a peek at the "Just Politics" section. I'm sure the language and personal attacks really fly over there. ;-) LOL

Reply by John Tennant on 4/18/13 5:03pm
Msg #466271

If the give me a low ball offer and do not want to negotiate I sign on to SC and give them a 1 star. How else are their ratings going to be lowered if we do not do this. Even newby notaries would notice the lowered rating and the reason.

Reply by MW/VA on 4/18/13 8:03pm
Msg #466290

I rely on the comments rather than the star-ratings. n/m

Reply by SharonMN on 4/19/13 9:12am
Msg #466334

Re: I rely on the comments rather than the star-ratings.

Me, too. Stars are completely irrelevant in my book. Actually, so is fee offered since the fee I work for is completely under MY control. I just want to know if a company is organized and professional and lives up to what was agreed.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 4/20/13 3:57pm
Msg #466464

Re: I rely on the comments rather than the star-ratings.

That makes a lot of sense, Sharon, when they are calling you. However, if it's a matter of someone deciding whether or not to go through the hassle of signing up for that company, getting an idea of what fees they're willing to accept can be useful - and a great time saver. If it's under $1XX for edocs, for example, I wouldn't bother, as I hope is true for most - if not all - the folks on this board.

Reply by Notarysigner on 4/18/13 5:38pm
Msg #466274

what I do!

I look at how many post were made within a given week and automatically down grade them to a -10
I do read the comments and if necessary, click on the envelop and ask the person making the comment for help understanding why./

Reply by CJ on 4/19/13 12:40am
Msg #466308

Profanity.

Even though we all have Freedom of Speech, and people use profanity on FB, I still think it is vulgar, rude, inappropriate, and unprofessional. I don't like it, I don't use it, and I don't really like hanging out with people who use it regularly. When people use it consistently on FB, I hide them. There are more articulate and creative ways to get one's point across. JMO.

Reply by sigtogo/OR on 4/19/13 12:07pm
Msg #466351

completey agree. can't say I never use it, like when the car

this morning comes zooming up on my left where there is only one lane! But on this site its inappropriate, as you say, and so unnecessary. I wish people would figure out that their message is not as powerful with profanity as it is with well chosen logic and verbiage.

Reply by TamaraCA on 4/19/13 5:55pm
Msg #466393

Well Said!

Profanity is for those who do not have a vocabulary or are too lazy to obtain one.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.