Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
So let's compare background checks, folks.
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to April, 2013 Index

Posted by Marian_in_CA on 4/1/13 3:09pm
Msg #464004

In the last two months, out of sheer curiosity, I completed both the NotRot *and* the NNA background screenings. I got the NNA one back today and the results are VERY interesting. People, the one through Notary Rotary is less expensive, more comprehensive and more accurate. They are both very similar and pulled up the same type of information....but the NNA commissioned one is full of issues.

I'm going to write up something more comprehensive on this later this week... but here's a quick overview.

The NNA screening (done via Backgrounds Online) pulled up the following:

- Name and SSN
- SSN Trace (Reporting names and addresses going back about 20 years, including some attached to places I never actually lived, inaccurate addresses and the like. There's also a name for a MAN that is nothing like my name on there, reported just a couple months ago. Interesting.... because I pulled all of my credit records last month when I bought a car, and there were no red flags or weird entries.)
- Nationwide Criminal Database
- USA Patriot Act (this includes the OFAC, UN Terrorist list, and other similar lists)
- Motor Vehicle Record (Information is accurate, but there are a lot of blank spots here)
- County Criminal Court Search: (LOS ANGELES, California, 7 year search) (Note that they only pulled Los Angeles County, I live in Kern County and have for over 2 years now. I did live in Los Angeles county prior to that.)
- Nationwide Sex Offender Database

Now let's compare that to the one obtained through Notary Rotary in February (done via CrimChek):
- Name, address and Date of birth
- CRIMINAL RECORDS from 2006 to present (They checked Kern County, Los Angeles County, the cities where I live and used to live and all of the courts that cover those locations)
- NATIONAL CRIMINAL DATABASE
- MOTOR VEHICLE RECORD
- OFFICE OF FOREIGN ASSET CONTROL - TO INCLUDE GSA SANCTIONS & SDN LIST
- SSN TRACE (2004 to present, all of the addresses are accurate)
- NATIONAL SEX OFFENDER SEARCH

Now, the most obvious difference between the two is that the NNA screening only pulled up county court records for ONE county --- a county I haven't lived in for over 2 years. Whereas the Notary Rotary screening, checked in my current city and county as well as where I used to live for the last 6-7 years. Next, the NNA screening has a VERY long SSN trace covering 20 years that is full of inaccurate information, even a male name I have no association with. The Notary Rotary SSN trace covers about 9-10 years and is mostly accurate. There is one address missing off the list where I lived for 2 years, but that's not too big of a deal AFAIC.

Looking at the two, side by side... the one obtained through Notary Rotary is much more accurate and comprehensive.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 4/1/13 3:17pm
Msg #464005

Let me also add this....

The NNA likely did not search the county where I live because they have NO RECORD on the report of my current address -- not my home address (where I've lived for over 2 years) or my business PO Box. Nowhere on the report, anywhere to be found is the fact that I moved 2+ years ago. I have no idea how that's possible, since I know for a fact that all of my IRS and credit records clearly have the right information. Not to mention the fact that the information is a matter of PUBLIC RECORD because of my notary commission.

I'm not really blaming the NNA here... the report was commissioned through BackgroundsOnline at the NNA's request. Clearly, whatever sources that company uses aren't that great.

Reply by Carole/CA on 4/1/13 3:34pm
Msg #464006

Thank you for that info...I'll use Notary Rotary next time around!

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 4/1/13 3:37pm
Msg #464007

That's how I felt Carole..and got mine through NotRot

the fact remains there are some companies out there who will not accept it...and not bad companies either. Good companies, steady companies....they will not accept it. So I got both -

Now I'm covered and working.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 4/1/13 3:43pm
Msg #464008

Carole, the problem is that it can be tough getting companies to accept the Notary Rotary commissioned screening. Far too many companies insist on the NNA commissioned one instead.

The only reason I even submitted to the NNA one is because I have one particular local Title company, one that I adore who has been requiring it. I even sat down with one of the guys that run it and tried to convince him to take the NotRot one. He'd been refusing because they have a strict corporate policy to only keep NNA certified notaries as contractors. Finally, he said that he would reimburse me for the cost of the NNA commissioned screening if I could show him both and "prove" that they were at least equal. I was confident enough that they were equal that I took him up on the offer.

BTW, I'm no disclosing the company name for several reasons. First, I promised him that I wouldn't because of his offer...at least I got him to consider it! Second, it's a small, local company... however, this guy does have some influence.

In a way, I was thrilled to see the results as they were... because I can show him both reports and happily prove my point.

Reply by jojo_MN on 4/1/13 4:29pm
Msg #464013

Amazing, Right?!!!

I turned in TWO background checks to two of my main clients that refused both and took me off their vendor list after working for them over eleven years unless I got the XYZ one. I gave very in-depth reasons why I didn't want to rejoin, etc. Finally after looking at how many closings I have been doing for these companies, I caved. I had the very same experience, Marian. The XYZ one had less information and inaccurate information on mine also. I outright told the companies that I feel it is totally wrong to blackmail NSAs into joining a bogus group and demanding that we get their bgc to work for them. (Also, the two I got before were ones required by those two companies. One the TC paid for; the other one, I had to pay).

And imagine this...All three had the exact same information (other than the inaccuracies on the XYZ-required one).

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 4/1/13 4:36pm
Msg #464016

Re: Amazing, Right?!!!

Yes, it's NUTS. Trust me, any of the companies wanting the NNA one will get it from me now, along with the copy of the Notary Rotary one and a stern letter illustrating the differences...and similarities.

I'm just floored that the NNA commissioned one managed to miss my current address, where I've been for TWO YEARS now. And yet it pulled up an address I lived at for 3 months over a summer when I was in college 15 years ago.

Reply by leeinla on 4/1/13 5:04pm
Msg #464019

So , maybe other companies are getting kickbacks?

We are independent contractors, we should be able to chose our own vendors? Should we file a complaint with the Secretary of State regarding this craziness? Is it legal?

Reply by MW/VA on 4/1/13 7:37pm
Msg #464039

The only one I'll do is the one here on NR. I realized

today that mine expired as of today (no April Fool's) and I redid the application. I don't have anything to hide. Also, as a Premium member I only paid $29. ;-)

Reply by garland/CA on 4/1/13 8:09pm
Msg #464043

When does the NR BC check expire? couldn't find it on mine n/m

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 4/1/13 8:22pm
Msg #464045

Re: When does the NR BC check expire? couldn't find it on mine

SUsan, the easiest way to find that is by clicking on your verification. Yours is at:

http://www.notarypublicbackgroundcheck.com/verify.asp?vid=DF0595A67BAE3899667CFBA13C8ADC671489

According to that, it expires next month.

Reply by garland/CA on 4/1/13 8:26pm
Msg #464046

thank you, Marian. As always, you are immensely helpful! n/m

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 4/1/13 8:40pm
Msg #464047

You're welcome! n/m

Reply by HisHughness on 4/1/13 10:23pm
Msg #464048

NotRot's BGC is good for two years. n/m

Reply by C. Rivera Chicago Notary Services on 4/2/13 6:02am
Msg #464056

The NNA background check uses the Post Office for address verification.

Mine which was also done earlier this year, had an address that we were supposed to move into, years years years ago, but didn't because of issues with the building. Now I only changed my address with the USPO and never actually moved in.

That is how I know why that particular address was listed on my background report.

I have also done the comparison and find the NNA background screening a complete joke. Whenever I have new notaries sign up with us, I ALWAYS advise them to join here and get that background check from NPBC.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.