Notary Rotary
What Color is Your Parachute?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to April, 2013 Index

Posted by 101livescan on 4/7/13 7:08pm
Msg #464868

I am probably dating myself. I loved these books. These got me through so many passages of my career.

I began to understand the job market, as I graduated from college, wondering why the job "of my dreams" ended up being such a nightmare and trying to seek out the perfect job. Well, there is no perfect job, but at least this guide helped me to understand how to get on the path of finding the near-perfect job my personality and skills sets were more suited to.

As I read this board lately, I'm beginning to realize that many notaries in our industry are sitting around waiting for the phone to ring. And, they are repeatedly dismally disappointed to learn that most of the offers they are receiving are crappy, low, not worth responding to.

So, what is your plan of action? How about making things happen for yourself, instead of lying in wait for the wolf to show up at your door with his big long teeth to devour you/most of your income.

We need a huge movement here. I'd like to know how people think they can bring about change and improve their bottom line. Honestly, if all I were receiving were $50 calls, I'd go to school and become an electrician, auto mechanic, veterinarian, DDS, do something that doesn't require house calls after 5pm in the dark and in the middle of nowhere with faxbacks.

I think a lot of people are stuck and think these are the only calls they can get. Is there something you can do to improve your profile on this board, some marketing you can get done, contacts you can make that can get you UNSTUCK!

If I were only making $93 on the average a signing, I'd quit this biz. I have to make more than that. Just finished my taxes, and what I learned is I need to get busier this year. Kick up my rates and ignore the lowballers altogether. Oh, yes, I'm screening callers for their backgrounds too. I want to know more about them and their BBB and D&B ratings, background checks, etc.

Reply by Shoshana/AZ on 4/7/13 10:06pm
Msg #464876

I am working on Plan B.

Reply by ananotary on 4/7/13 10:19pm
Msg #464879

Great post for those of us not looking at a Plan B! TY! n/m

Reply by Shoshana/AZ on 4/8/13 7:57am
Msg #464898

I have been in this business since 2002

I have talked privately to quite a few people on this forum. The smart thing is to not put all your eggs in one basket!

Reply by CarolF/NC on 4/7/13 10:25pm
Msg #464880

I don't think people taking 50 to 80 jobs are hanging out on

this site. They are too busy with volumeSmile Seriously, people balked at Carol's Uprising 2013, but it's about reaching those who are not on this site and don't know that they can command more than $45 to $75 for a loan signing. Those are the people you need to reach. I've been trying to talk with other notaries in my area. I actually had no idea so many people were doing signings for $50 and $65. I thought that was a low offer that no one took. I honestly don't know how they make any money. Do they steal paper, toner, pens, gas and so on???? I do know of some that print and fax on someone elses dime and some with company vehicles they use for this second income, but that must be the exception, right?

Reply by notarydi/CA on 4/8/13 12:46am
Msg #464888

well, since business was

a little slow last week, I actually, put that business suit on and went out and did some marketing calls on escrow offices. I hate marketing calls. My old boss used to say, "Never be afraid to ask for the order". And, sure enough, called on 3 offices and two of them gave me signing orders for next week. And, as Murphy's Law would have it....if I go out to drum up new business, my phone starts ringing with old reliable clients with new orders for me....this business is perseverence, knowledge, and integrity. GIG!

Reply by Shoshana/AZ on 4/8/13 7:57am
Msg #464899

Good for you! n/m

Reply by HisHughness on 4/8/13 8:52am
Msg #464904

My retirement plan is buying a lottery ticket each week. n/m

Reply by CarolF/NC on 4/8/13 9:01am
Msg #464906

LIKE n/m

Reply by 101livescan on 4/8/13 9:09am
Msg #464908

Re: My retirement plan is buying a lottery ticket each week.

If you win, remember your friend in CA...I'll do the same for you.

Reply by Stephanie Santiago on 4/8/13 4:24pm
Msg #464971

I have a per signing fee and do not deviate from it.... n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.