Notary Rotary
What OP system are any of us using? I held onto XP & am
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to April, 2013 Index

Posted by MW/VA on 4/12/13 8:01am
Msg #465417

having issues with MS because they're not really supporting it any more. I know I should have upgraded to Win7 while I had a chance, but don't know about Win8. It's all about the compatability issues. I don't want to have to get a new computer & new printers at this stage of the game. I'd like to hear about other's experience in this area.

Reply by 101livescan on 4/12/13 8:22am
Msg #465419

Me, too. I don't like to made any change that will completely up end my cart...MS is known for needing so many patches to new product. Can't afford any hiccups in this biz.

Reply by Shelly_FL on 4/12/13 10:35am
Msg #465443

If expense is a major concern, take a look at the free

open source OS, Linux. I do not use it on a regular basis, only to recover files before replacing a hard drive. In that case it ran directly from the DVD drive, but there are other versions to install like any other OS. Ubuntu seems to be the most prominent version. You can try it out before installing to see if you like it - http://www.ubuntu.com/download/help/try-ubuntu-before-you-install .

There is a Linux forum and tutorials for support at http://www.linux.org/ .

Reply by sueharke on 4/12/13 12:46pm
Msg #465453

Re: If expense is a major concern, take a look at the free

Some programs will not work directly in Linux. It requires a program to allow windows programs to run on a linux computer. I have this issue because many of my accounting programs will not work on other than windows (will not work on an apple computer either).

Reply by HARRY_PA on 4/12/13 8:36am
Msg #465421

Support for XP ends April 2014 n/m

Reply by pan/nd on 4/12/13 8:44am
Msg #465422

It's my understanding that MS is supporting XP until April of 2014..a year from now.

Most people I have talked to that have Windows 8 don't like it.

I have been asking the same question as you about what to replace XP with and

pretty much the answer I get is "Windows 7".

I only know of a few folks who have "7" that don't like it...most do...but not all.

My tech guy says better to get a new machine with 7 already on it than to try to

delete XP and reinstall 7 over it. He also doesn't have much use for "8".

But tech guys (and gals) are a dime a dozen and you can always find one who thinks the

other way.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 4/12/13 9:13am
Msg #465427

I have Windows 8 on this new computer and I do not like it!!!

When I was doing some surfing to figure out some of the problems I was having I came across this.

http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/gadgetbox/8-worst-windows-8-annoyances-how-fix-them-962136

Reply by sueharke on 4/12/13 12:48pm
Msg #465455

I like this plan. I would then use the old, once reformatted, as a linux computer or server running linux. This is what my husband did and it works very well.

Reply by pan/nd on 4/12/13 8:47am
Msg #465423

Just checked the MS website.....support for XP ends April 8, 2014

Reply by Brenda/FL on 4/12/13 8:51am
Msg #465424

I love my HP laptop w/windows 7 and just bought Microsoft Office Home & Business 2013, so far so good!

Reply by 101livescan on 4/12/13 8:54am
Msg #465425

Sooner or later, by end of 2014, we'll all have to byte the bullet!

Reply by Barb25 on 4/12/13 9:31am
Msg #465430

I think you will like windows 7 avd very easy to get used to avd easy to network with

Reply by jba/fl on 4/12/13 9:45am
Msg #465433

What is avd? n/m

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 4/12/13 10:29am
Msg #465440

Re: What is avd?

Android Virtual Device

Reply by Barb25 on 4/12/13 11:57am
Msg #465445

Re: What is avd? This is an excellent question.

LOL.... It is ALSO a typo from my Iphone which should have said have said AND... Sorry about that.

Never text when driving and never post from Iphone when you are in a hurry. Hmm.

Reply by Stephanie Santiago on 4/12/13 1:14pm
Msg #465457

Win 7 here... n/m

Reply by jba/fl on 4/12/13 9:43am
Msg #465431

I just went to Win 7 when I got new computer

I love it. I think it is the most intuitive OS I have ever used. I will be holding on to it for as long as possible. I hate the normal learning curve that really was absent, for me, in Win7.

Reply by RickG/CA on 4/12/13 9:47am
Msg #465434

My first experience with W8 came on non-touch laptops purchased for the family during the holiday season. While I was fine losing the start button, my wife was apprehensive to say the least. She is just now using the laptop. it helps to have a wireless mouse for her, however she is much like this lady in the video and refuses to use Metro/Modern User Interface. knowing that I was getting the Surface Pro, I wanted to work thru the nuances of the new OS. I can honestly say that w8 is an infinitely better experience with touch. When I use any of the non-touch laptops I always swipe the screen. I don't see myself going back to a laptop with or without touch anytime soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=je1M_WrZEOk

Reply by Lee/AR on 4/12/13 9:50am
Msg #465435

Computer w/XP died. Got new one w/W7. Really (still--a year later) prefer XP as W7 takes a LOT of getting used to. Lost an older but functioning scanner--just not compatible. Check your printers, etc. for compatibility.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 4/12/13 10:34am
Msg #465442

I had to download new drivers for my scanner and my printer. Also took a week to get my email to work through Choicemail. My old computer had Vista. I do not like Windows 8, I am getting used to it but I don't like it.

Reply by ToniK on 4/12/13 10:18am
Msg #465438

I have Win7

I have heard horror stories about Win 8. I tried it at the store and I dont like the apps type thing on a computer. I wont be upgrading to Win8. Ill keep my Win7. Unfortunately I want a tablet or surface and they come in Win8...grrrr!!!! Wondering if I should downgrade them?

Reply by Ali/IL on 4/12/13 12:22pm
Msg #465449

Re: I have Win7

I loved XP but , had to buy new laptop.This one has Windows7 and, I love it.Never like Vista!

Reply by leeinla on 4/12/13 4:51pm
Msg #465468

Re: I have Win7...need help to save to usb drive

I use Wn7 but I can not save docs to a jump drive or a usb drive.
I get this gray box that says open or save?, I click save, it download the docs from the web, I can not fin docs on my usb (jump drive). I can't figure this out.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 4/12/13 11:11pm
Msg #465509

Lee
Isn't there a "save as" option?

Reply by leeinla on 4/12/13 11:25pm
Msg #465510

Yes, there is a save as button, but it goes to downloads and it still does not go into my usb drive.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 4/13/13 2:48pm
Msg #465554

Usually when you select "Save as", you have an option to browse, so you can go to the place where you want to save the download and change it from the default - which will be the downloads folder. Click on one of the icon options that show up to the left in that window, or you can use the back arrow at the top, I believe, to get to the directory you want to use. If you want to save it to a thumb drive, you have to scroll down to "my computer" and select the drive for the thumb drive - which won't appear unless you have one plugged in...

Reply by VT_Syrup on 4/13/13 9:38am
Msg #465522

Are you using FireFox to download the file. Do you right=click and choose "Save link as..."? If so a window appears. Drag the scroll bar of the left half of the window down until you see "Computer", and indented under that "Removable Drive (GSmile" or whatever the name of your jump drive is. Left click your drive. Then go over to the bottom of the window and make sure you like the name that is being given to the file you are about to save. Then click "Save". If you are using a different browser, tell us which one (you might want to start a new thread).

Reply by sueharke on 4/12/13 12:41pm
Msg #465451

When I had XP harddrive die and my second harddrive used for backup die at the same time. Luckily I had all key data backup on a backup harddrive. The data on the backup harddrive was retrievable, so I had the company use their equipment to copy it to a new USB external harddrive.

I purchased a new harddrive and had the shop install Win 7 (that I had purchased and not yet installed). Went home and installed all the other programs I needed on the new harddrive and reinstalled the data.

My time, about 2 hours. Computer in the shop about 2 days. It was worth it to backup frequently to protect my data.

I have one other laptop running XP that will not be updated as I use it only for bookkeeping (no websurfing or emai). I also backup the data from the two programs I run on this laptop to a flash drive in case I need to reinstall the software on another computer.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 4/12/13 4:55pm
Msg #465469

I'm running Win7 on a laptop approx 1 year old. One important thing to keep in mind is that newer versions of software take much, much more memory (RAM and hard drive) and processing power than previous versions. That may be partly because of more capability, but I'm guessing it's also partly because memory has gotten so much cheaper that there isn't the incentive anymore to be as efficient - at least that's what I heard. So my personal bias is to not try to upgrade older pcs with newer software, if at all possible.

I did find a bit of a learning curve with this upgrade but most of it was also because I also moved to MS Office 2010 from 2003. That was a thrill a minute... NOT! Wink One of these months I might find time to get a bit more up to speed on some of the capabilities I'm not taking advantage of. 'Course, I keep saying that about my smartphone, too!

Reply by MW/VA on 4/12/13 7:19pm
Msg #465484

I'm using a Dell Desktop & have decided to get a new

tower with Win7 Prof. My tech guy says he can transfer everything from XP and encapsule it within Win7. I'm concerned about the Brother HL-5240 I'm using, since it's an older model at this point.
I appreciate that everyone is saying that MS is supporting XP through 2014, but I'm getting constant error messages & problems when MS tries to do it's nightly updates. Otherwise, the system I have has been giving me great service for the past several years & I don't like to mess up a good thing. Yes, it's time to update, but I know that's never a seamless transition.

Reply by jba/fl on 4/12/13 10:13pm
Msg #465503

From XP to Win7 was very easy for me -

My motherboard went poof - my FreeAgent backup installed all my programs and data just went right over, no problems. I did have 2 HL-5140's that were supposed to move effortlessly, but no one could get them to work. Then my fav guru said, "I can do it" to which I replied, "Have at it". She reported back that she failed as well, after searching forever and trying several things. I just had to bite the bullet and let them go.

2012 was the year for all new equipment: got the laptop, 2 printers, Scan Snap, a tablet and new phone and went wireless all the way. I hope to use Win7 for a l-o-n-g time. Got HL-5370 a bit late, as the 5470's were out, but got a good deal. The upgrade in speed was worth it all - and really love the wireless.

Reply by sueharke on 4/13/13 3:49am
Msg #465514

Re: I'm using a Dell Desktop & have decided to get a new

I used an HL-5240 Brothers printer with Win 7. Just download the drivers from Brothers.

Reply by MW/VA on 4/13/13 9:34am
Msg #465520

Thanks, Sue. I was hoping to get more life out of this

printer. ;-)

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.