Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
What in the world is going on in the world of Closings!
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to April, 2013 Index

Posted by CapCityAgent on 4/26/13 4:46pm
Msg #467313

I was called by a notary mobile company today to conduct a closing. I normally do not accept assignments on Friday a few hours before closing. However, because I am trying to get back into the flow of things as a part-time mobile notary. I personally have a preference for working directly with Title companies. I took the assignment but explain to the assignment agent that my printer is not equip to print packages that are completely in PDF. There was silence for a few seconds. I should have known then to turn this one down. Fast forward, I e-mail and call the assignment agent that I must have docs at least two hours prior to closing and that I have problems printing docs that are completely in PDF. I get home and see docs are ready. GREAT! I open the file. Guess what. Almost a hundred pages of PDF. I try to print and it is 1 1/2 hours til closing. One page prints every three minutes. After page two, I send the assignment agent an e-mail that I will not be able to do this closing because my printer is not equip to print big packages in PDF and I requested to be removed from her client list. She e-mails me back, "Completely horrified! Who does this?" Well, based on what she shared with me that Notaries not showing up for closings and not informing is what she has exprienced. Of course I e-mailed her back, "Well at least I e-mailed you prior to the closing with enough time to reassign the closing unlike other notaries!" I have been doing closings parti-time since 2006. I took a break because my day time job and family responsibilities were very demanding. If this is what the Industry has become, maybe it is time for me to hang it up as a mobile notary. Just rude and unprofessional. Lacking the ability to express ones self in professional manner. Is this a generational thing?

Reply by JPH13/MO on 4/26/13 4:54pm
Msg #467316

You need a new printer or shouldn't take signings...

Most companies will send the docs in .pdf format, that is the standard for the industry. You can get a decent dual tray laser printer for under $300 that will print .pdf files quickly, at least 30-40 pages per minute. If you don't want to invest any money in order to be a notary signing agent, then you shouldn't be one. I would have been horrified by your replies as well. JMO.

Reply by Stephanie Santiago on 4/26/13 4:56pm
Msg #467317

Agree - get a printer that can get the job done..... n/m

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 4/26/13 4:56pm
Msg #467318

I'm not techie but I'm baffled why you can't print docs

in pdf. I think pdf is just as much of a requirement as a laser printer.

You either need to upgrade your equipment and software or make adjustments to the equipment you have. Maybe it's in your settings. I know you're not a newbie so I'm surprised this is an issue for you.

JMO

Reply by JanetK_CA on 4/26/13 5:08pm
Msg #467321

Adobe Reader and PDF files

Sorry you had to experience this. However, one of the many things that have changed in this industry is the expectations surrounding technology. You didn't say how long you've been away, but it's probably a good idea to do some reading up to make sure you - and your equipment - are up to speed.

Point is that accepting documents in PDF format is (and I think has been for a while) a standard expectation and is virtually a daily occurrence in this business anymore, but it should be easily resolved. I'm no tech expert, but I would think that any laser printer that's less than 8 or 10 years old (just a guess, could be more), should be able to handle PDF files. You might want to check to see if you have a current version of Adobe Reader, available free online via download. You may want to do some research to see what is the latest version that's compatible with your printer. However, some of the later versions have created problems for a few, so maybe it could be the opposite, that you have a version that is too new for your printer? There are others here who know lots more about this than I do.

BTW, that reminds me of a question of my own... Has anyone had any issues with HP printers (mine is a 2430dtn) on Windows 7 with the latest Adobe Reader update? I've been getting notices about a new update (to 11.0?) that I've been hesitant to add until all the bugs have been shaken out. I've been meaning to do some online research, but barely have time to eat lately. Wink Hopefully this weekend...

Best of luck, CapCityAgent. Hope this helps at least a little bit.

Reply by Moneyman/TX on 4/26/13 6:20pm
Msg #467344

Agree w/ Janet and others. Might also want to also try

... to download updated drivers for your printer or reinstall your printer (for OP as well as Janet).

I had a similar issue, mentioned in OP, last year and I reinstalled both Adobe and my printer with updated drivers. I can't be certain of which action(s) actually did the trick, but I haven't had that issue since. If I remember correctly it was right after I had installed the newest update to Adobe at the time. The original instal file may have been corrupted in my case.

Janet, I updated to the newest Adobe Reader (ver 11.??) recently. The only negative I am seeing with the updated version is when I scan in something and try to save it. I have to open the file tab (shortcut with disk doesn't work) and save the file under "save as", then drill down to the folder I want it in (every freaking time!)

On the positive side (Adobe 11), I can now add text to docs received using the "Sign" tab on the top left of the opened docs. It is great for adding the proper notary info when so many TC's leave so much blank. The only ones I have not been able to use that feature on are the docs that require a pass code. That new addition has saved me the money I was going to spend on a new PDF program for the same purpose (along with all the other bells and whistles).

Reply by desktopfull on 4/26/13 7:58pm
Msg #467354

Re: Adobe Reader and PDF files

I have the same HP printer, did the upgrade and now neither of my computers with Windows 7 will recognize the printer as being USB connected and I don't have an LPT port on either computer. Very frustrating! I've tried restoring to a date before the update, deleting the printer and attempting to reinstall, nothing works. This update disabled both of my dual tray printers. Fortunately, I was able to delete my Brother HL-5370DW and reinstall and it came back online, so I have been able to print docs. HP has been no help at all in resolving this problem. I contacted an HP repair dealer and he suggested replacing the USB port on the printer to a newer version and see if that might work, will be taking the printer to him on Monday. I'll let you know how it works out.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 4/26/13 10:38pm
Msg #467368

Tks! Just what I feared. Will look fwd to your feedback :>) n/m

Reply by HisHughness on 4/26/13 5:30pm
Msg #467325

A signing agent who has a printer that doesn't accept PDF...

... documents is like a cop whose gun only shoots spitballs.

For crissakes, if you're going to represent that you are a signing agent, get the fundamental essentials to BE a signing agent.

Reply by ToniK on 4/26/13 5:58pm
Msg #467335

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BqxPxaa5Wn8?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Reply by ToniK on 4/26/13 6:01pm
Msg #467337

ugh did not embed correctly! n/m

Reply by Moneyman/TX on 4/26/13 6:23pm
Msg #467345

Here you go :-)

Reply by KarenVentura on 4/26/13 7:08pm
Msg #467352

Re: Here you go :-)

That's funny

Reply by ToniK on 4/27/13 9:17am
Msg #467405

Reply by Buddy Young on 4/26/13 8:24pm
Msg #467356

Sounds like you are blaming the SS for not accomidating you when it's you that needs to get with the program and update your equipment or get out of the business.

Reply by jba/fl on 4/26/13 8:59pm
Msg #467359

You worked off and on last year according to your postings. This printer requirement is not new...mostly pdf since 2003 when I started; no great changes. I would blame this on equipment. If you are going to get back into the biz, I know you will have to bring your equipment into this era - you must know this as well.

Reply by Laurily on 4/26/13 9:02pm
Msg #467360

I was so intrigued by this post that I HAD to respond and from reading what others have written I agree-as I was reading your post I (1) couldn't believe what I reading about your request to NOT have the entire file in PDF?! What???
(2) How can you be mad at the SS when yeah its you who are ill equipped to do the job-I'm sorry if this seems harsh but seriously its up to you to have the proper equipment and printer and a SS doesnt have time at EOM to deal with your special request....

Reply by walthtz on 4/26/13 9:05pm
Msg #467361

Usually when there is a second or 2 break pages being printed, It is because you are printing from the internet or Swift send or the documents are scanned in PCL 6 language & your printer can not handle that.
Suggestion, if it the first, Never Never print from the internet. Always download & then print.
If you are printing from swiftsend, you can go into options & change the setting so you do not the pause.

If the docs are scanned in the PCL 6 Language, & your printer is not able to do that, have the sending company re-scan & re-send.
Walt

Reply by CJ on 4/27/13 12:58am
Msg #467383

And you think SHE was unprofessional?

When someone is self-employed, it is up to them to make sure they have the equipment necessary to do the job. You are lucky that you had such a small package: less than 100 pages. Lately, I have been printing sets of docs that were over 150 pages (plus another 150 for the borrower).

When I bought my printer, I went to Office Depot and said, "I need a printer that can print legal-sized paper in black-and-white, as fast as possible". Mine prints 100 pages in about 5 minutes. Printing is a significant portion of this job. I have cases of paper and many boxes of toner in my office. I don't DARE run out. If your printer can't do the job, what's the point of having it?

Personally, I LOVE pdf files: they print easily, they don't glitch, and you can merge and sort them in Page Separator.

I understand if you have a full time job, demanding family responsibilities, and a slow printer; maybe this is not the job for you. Many borrowers ask me if this is a "fun, little, part-time job". No, it is a demanding, full-time, very stressful job, with dire legal consequences if you make mistakes. But I am able to do it because my kids are grown and out of the house, my husband is also self-employed and works 6 days a week, (just like me), and he can cook for himself. I don't bother having a life outside of notary work, so I am free to take any job at any time.

Reply by Venita Peyton on 4/27/13 10:41am
Msg #467417

Wow - this screams for attention.

First - you were hired by a mobile notary signing service. It seems that the SS was subcontracting out a job that S/HE should have known in advance they couldn't fill. This (IMO) would have then been kicked back to the the title company or bank who may have had other potential persons to complete the job.

Second - I too am horrified - that you wouldn't immediately recognize the reason why closing documents are in .pdf protected files and NOT in Word, Wordperfect, etc.

But then, I've heard worse. Recently, a notary didn't show up for a closing and later blamed it on the Borrower - saying that the husband (law enforcement) was called back to work. Actually he had taken time off from work to be at home with his wife specifically for the closing. So, when they were referred to me for closing the next evening, I talked with the wife, who agreed that the closing should happen at the husband's office (one floor from the jail) -so he wouldn't lose more time off from work.

Reply by Stoli on 4/27/13 2:11pm
Msg #467439

What is the make and model of your printer? n/m

Reply by CapCityAgent on 5/25/13 8:07am
Msg #471234

Thank you all for your opinions! Unfortunately, I was not able to read them until today. I really appreciates those response that provided some positive remedy! Kudos!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.