What would you like to see built?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to April, 2013 Index

Posted by Aaron King on 4/17/13 6:11pm
Msg #466109

Hello,

I'm a software developer (as well as a notary) and I want to build some mobile and/or web apps specifically for notary signing agents.

What would you all like to see built? Something to make accounting and accounts receivable easier? Something to show all of your closings on a map? Maybe a public profile where you can advertise your services?

I want to hear your ideas of anything that would make your jobs and lives easier as notaries.

Thanks!
Aaron

Reply by VT_Syrup on 4/17/13 6:17pm
Msg #466112

How about an acknowledgement builder for states that use language like his/her/their in certificates? A box to fill in each name, the state and county, and if only one signer, the gender. I've been trying to set up a Microsoft Word template, but they sure make it hard to edit templates.

Reply by Aaron King on 4/17/13 8:43pm
Msg #466148

Hmm.. I think you're right that this should be possible with Word, or maybe a PDF template. I'll take a look and see what I can find.

Reply by Notarycat/CA on 4/19/13 7:44pm
Msg #466395

I make my own acknowledgements and jurats in MS Word. I copied the current working, made a nice little frame, and typed in my name. I leave the county blank, date blank, and long space for names. On the bottom, I put a line for document name and a line for loan number. I carry blanks in my bag, but also keep on my computer so I can type in the fields and they look nice. No template required, just some basic skills.

Reply by ToniK on 4/17/13 6:31pm
Msg #466121

I'd like to put my signings in such as location, fee, #of pages, # of notarizations, lender/title and company that hired me. The app should show mileage from my location to the signing, how much it cost me in gas based on my area gas pricing. Should link to my calendar and if I'm in my email to create an event on my calendar it can pull info from the email (is that too advanced to ask?)

Reply by Aaron King on 4/17/13 7:18pm
Msg #466131

This is a great idea! And the data could be exported at the end of the year for tax purposes. I'll do some research and see if there's a central database where I can pull local gas prices.

And nothing is too advanced to suggest. As my co-worker used to say, "It's the internet. It can do anything." It's just a matter of figuring out how to make it work.

Reply by ToniK on 4/17/13 7:59pm
Msg #466137

Cool!

Also not charge us crazy amounts of money for the app. Lol staying under $4.99 for lifetime updates would be great! Trial offer of $.99 for trial period then maybe credit that towards the app purchase.

Rarely do I spent money on apps unless its a great app. I'll try free ones and put up with advertising for awhile and if I feel it's something worth buying ill consider the cost if its reasonable.

Also would be awesome to allow me to put in my companies and rate them based on my experience and somehow have the ratings pop up if and when that number calls in. Lol

Reply by JanetK_CA on 4/18/13 12:07am
Msg #466166

Might be easier (just guessing), and would be more accurate, to just have a fill-in-the blank for gas prices. I nearly always fill up at Costco, so my gas costs are typically lower than what is the average for my area. Also, depending on what someone drives, the type of gas they use might vary. Personally, I wouldn't put too much stock in an online database for something like that.

Reply by 101livescan on 4/17/13 6:40pm
Msg #466125

hmmm, as to companies to work for, those with 4 and 5 star ratings and of course those with honest ratings, not those that are "artificial" or ratings by the company itself.

Wow! That would be so awesome.

Reply by Aaron King on 4/17/13 7:25pm
Msg #466132

So you want a way to see honest reviews on the various signing services. It looks like Notary Rotary has a page for reviews already: http://www.notaryrotary.com/sc/companies.asp?id=.

Are you dubious about the accuracy of the ratings on this page, or does it just not show you enough information about the ratings?

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 4/17/13 7:32pm
Msg #466133

Aaron, are you the Aaron King with NotaryLink??

(Just curious)

Reply by ToniK on 4/17/13 7:51pm
Msg #466136

Uh oh would that be a bad thing?

I've never heard of notary link.

Reply by Aaron King on 4/17/13 8:25pm
Msg #466144

Re: Uh oh would that be a bad thing?

It shouldn't be, we worked hard to keep a good reputation with our signing agents. Most of us had worked as mobile notaries ourselves, so we were understanding of both sides of the transaction. And we ALWAYS paid our notaries on time.

Reply by 101livescan on 4/18/13 9:52am
Msg #466185

My hat's off to you and your company for having the integrity to stick it out and take care of the people who made you the money in the first place.

It's a lost art. These days we're finding companies just fold their tents in the night, leaving thousands of dollars on the table owed to notaries nationally.

What a racket! It's the hottest scam going...

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 4/17/13 8:34pm
Msg #466146

Not at all a bad thing. As I said, I was just curious. If you do a search I don't believe you will find.any negative posts about them.

Reply by Aaron King on 4/17/13 8:16pm
Msg #466143

Yes! Although "formerly with NotaryLink" is more accurate. We closed our doors when business slowed down and I'm happy to say we were able to pay all of our notaries in full before that happened. Since then I've been working primarily in software development.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 4/17/13 8:38pm
Msg #466147

Thanks Aaron. Unfortunately some good signing services found it necessary to close their doors when things got really.slow.

Reply by 101livescan on 4/17/13 9:55pm
Msg #466153

A breath of fresh air! Aaron we need fresh new approach. He need to raise the bar on screening companies. No more deceitful dishonest owners who bs come signing services in the night still on probation for heinous crimes that would prevent us from becoming notaries in the first place. We need to scrub these low ball slow pay no pay idiots. Clear the decks of these bimbos who have populated our NR forum for too long.

I'm going to be think I g on what other apps we could benefit from most.

Reply by LynnetteN on 4/17/13 11:37pm
Msg #466163

Years ago we had an entertainment booking agency. There was a program we used that was all-in-one. The client called and we entered all relevant info into the Access based program and it would automatically generated the invoice (add to book keeping program), add to calendar, and make special notes to forward to the assigned performer. A similar program like this would be great for notary work.
It would be helpful when signing companies contact us that they include VCards or schedule information that can be automatically added to the MS Outlook Suite with one click. Also, being able to do invoicing, tracking of payments, schedules, etc. would be wonderful.
If you can come up with a program like that, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Reply by OR on 4/18/13 2:48am
Msg #466168

Re: Thanks for asking............. Here is what I need

I need is a mileage saver program that worked with my German. It could be as easy having a program on my computer that allows my German up load every place I went each day. I want the program to have the ability to add up all the mile at the end of the too.

That's all I need this year. I am thinking of hiring someone to do it for me. I hate doing my mileage everyday for every job but I do. That is what is missing in the German.

You never know where that idea would take you. I know a lot of business not just Notaries who could use that kind of a program. Again Thanks for asking. Good luck and Gods blessings.

Reply by MistarellaFL on 4/18/13 4:24am
Msg #466169

Are you really needing a German? Or do you mean Garmin?

I hope you mean Garmin...

Reply by OR on 4/18/13 9:55am
Msg #466188

Re: Yes MistarellaFL I did mean Garmin tks n/m

Reply by NVLSlady/VA on 4/18/13 8:08am
Msg #466175

Wow . . . are you really in AK?! Well, good you're in the "cloud" anyhow. How about a:

1. Select Transcript function -to be able to research and print out related topics on the forum - like grouping same subject matter together for easier reference. Even a "See Today's Transcript" would be great! Even nicer would be a way to excerpt comments from our expert panelists (many tireless folks here who unfailingly post knowledgeable/helpful ideas based on years of experience).

This isn't to say that the 'Search' function on the forum isn't helpful - but could be more functional to save time and appear less 'scary' when looking for specific info.

2. I'd like to include a Fee Builder on my web site (requester puts in # of pages, zip code, faxes or other applicable data and Out pops the charge, PO, invoice); even could be good for gnw - with # of notarizations, witnesses, form type, miles . . .

Now, Aaron, after you dig through ALL that, I'm going to need a program that tells me when it's time to change my oil - and orders my toner automatically Smile So, looks like we'll be talking in 2018.

Oh, almost forgot: 3. What about separating the "superb from the gone & grotesque" in SC? I've started compiling my own list; but at the rate I'm going, it'll be 2018 before I get to letter 'M'

Thanks!

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 4/18/13 8:45am
Msg #466176

Michelle
For some reason NotRot shows AK for some members even though they are not there. Aaron is in CA.

(You forgot a function that would just do the dishes and make the coffee LOL)

Reply by NVLSlady/VA on 4/18/13 8:48am
Msg #466177

AK - Oh!, LOL n/m

Reply by NVLSlady/VA on 4/18/13 8:50am
Msg #466178

Re: AK - then, it also just happens to be his initials n/m

Reply by Linda Hubbell on 4/18/13 8:59am
Msg #466179

I think he was getting at development of a program

that would help your notary and NSA business more streamlined for you. I don't think he was referring to a program to "fix" (for lack of a better word) things that people dislike or find inconvenient about Notary Rotary, as indicated by your #1 and #3 requests.

And honestly, after reading the responses and requests? I do believe there already is software out there that addresses everything people want. A little research required, but I can think of numerous programs that do it....

JMO

Reply by NVLSlady/VA on 4/18/13 11:42am
Msg #466216

Yes. "Streamline" is the operative word.

<<"I want to hear your ideas of anything that would make your jobs and lives easier as notaries">>

Give 'em an inch . . .

Reply by CH2inCA on 4/18/13 10:38am
Msg #466203

An Electronic/digital/biometric CA Journal please.

I'm working on developing a journal app that can be used on a tablet, store entries in a removable media for data storage and archiving, and be used with biometrics for fingerprinting.
I know there are digital journals, but I haven't found one that meets the fingerprinting requirements.

I'm of the one line (entry) per notarized act, which means that I have to enter signers information over and over again, in my dream app, I could populate fields by entering the signers information once and telling the app how many entries I'd need for that job. Then I'd pull down a menu with the most oft used doc titles...

Reply by Notarycat/CA on 4/19/13 7:53pm
Msg #466399

How about a decent electronic journal? Something that won't die or get 'unsupported' with software updates. Maybe something based in Excel or Access. One that will accept a signature and a thumbprint for loan signing agents. We CA notaries have to keep every journal during our commissions. I have been a notary over 12 years, and you can imagine how many I have stored away (averaging 6 journals per year).

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.