Notary Rotary
urgent question
Notary Discussion History

urgent question
Go Back to April, 2013 Index

Posted by Wendy/OH on 4/23/13 7:14pm
Msg #466849

urgent question

I get a call that some pages are missing from signing done last Friday. They want me to go back and get the 15 pgs signed but back date to original date on docs. I said I could not back date but as I read some posts I am not sure if in this case it is the same as just backdating because the closing did not get done when date was printed. Did I do the right thing? Help?

Reply by Barb25 on 4/23/13 7:18pm
Msg #466851

Are they saying that you missed the pages? Are they paying you to go back. That is one issue.

Secondly, What pages are they? This is important.

Reply by Yoli/CA on 4/23/13 7:26pm
Msg #466854

Doesn't matter what date appears on docs.

What matters is, insofar as backdating, is date on notarial certificate. If they're asking you to notarize something and date it something other actual date, that's illegal.

BTW, as Barb asked, are these 15 pages something you missed? Or, are these 15 pages something they missed sending you? If the latter, I hope you're being compensated for second trip.

Reply by Jessica/FL on 4/23/13 7:22pm
Msg #466853

Were these documents in the original package that was sent

to you? If this is something that you missed and is your error, I would get it corrected asap. Do these need to be notarized. If not, the date really shouldn't matter to you.

Reply by Barb25 on 4/23/13 7:26pm
Msg #466855

exactly n/m

Reply by Wendy/OH on 4/23/13 7:40pm
Msg #466857

Re: Were these documents in the original package that was sent

Thank you all for quick responses. Two are notarial certificates and the rest loan docs. I knew I could not backdate my certificates. Still not sure who's fault it was but I was willing to go back to expedite things but did not want to do anything illegal.

Reply by Barb25 on 4/23/13 7:46pm
Msg #466859

Okay two things.

The backdating thing you are already clear on. So the money thing. If you don't have the file to see if they are missing. You will be able to look at the borrower's copy. Even if they are in there, what are the chances you lost 15 pages they signed. If they are not in there, you never got them. You should be able to figure out whose fault it is and if it is yours. Do it.... If not you deserve to get paid. And you are not a charity worker. It is hard to lose 15 pages.

I am interested in hearing the outcome of this.

Something doesn't sound right here..

Reply by desktopfull on 4/23/13 7:55pm
Msg #466860

In addition to your recommendations, always save the

doc package(s) until you are paid for the closing. More than likely with that many pages missing they weren't in the original package of docs sent.

Reply by LKT/CA on 4/23/13 7:32pm
Msg #466856

<<<I get a call that some pages are missing from signing done last Friday.>>>

Hopefully, you saved the edoc file emailed to you. Always save (to a secure, password protected file) it until after you received your check AND it has cleared the bank. After they email you the 15 pages, scroll through the original edoc file and compare those 15 pages. Companies forget to send attachments, then LIE and claim the notary missed pages as a ruse not to pay for an additional trip. If the 15 pages are NOT in the original edoc file, then charge the company a print/travel/notarization fee. If you DID forget the 15 pages, then you'll have to return to the borrowers on your dime. HOWEVER, any notarizations (jurats or acknowledgments) are to be dated the day the borrowers appear before you - do not date the notarial certificates with last Friday's date. That would be backdating.

Reply by Paula/OR on 4/23/13 8:02pm
Msg #466861

I had 2 packages this month that that were messed up like I've never seen before. The first had consecutive pages 1-52 THEN the pages were numbered starting at 35 to 105. The page count said there was 83 pages. On the first try to print this package the printer only printed 83 pages, but with alot of effort so I scrolled through the pages and found pages that never printed and becuse of the merge error I had to print 22 pages one at a time. Then I got another package that when it was scanned pages over lapped. This was on a Friday for a Saturday signing and I never could find anyone to send me the missing pages. Borrowers had to go to title company to sign missing docs and loan did fund. Too much work for too few people who appear to be very new at their jobs IMO.

Reply by Wendy/OH on 4/23/13 8:15pm
Msg #466863

Now he is threatening me with bank law suit. Says it is ok to backdate all pages because it was notary error. I said it doesn't matter who's error it is, the law is the same. Finally he said to just do it my way and we'll see if they accept it. I am going back tonight but not sure how this is going to turn out. So upset and mad I could bite nails!

Reply by jba/fl on 4/23/13 8:22pm
Msg #466865

I hope some of this is in writing.

Reply by jojo_MN on 4/23/13 11:26pm
Msg #466887

Tell him to put it in writing. Then he can see just how far the "bank law suit" will take him when you send it to your Secretary of State or Dept. of Commerce. Illegal is illegal.

Reply by Jennifer Jackson on 4/24/13 6:24am
Msg #466903

Wendy, BE VERY CAREFUL when you get a call from a lending saying that you missed something, especially 15 pages. I have gotta a call like this, stating that I "forgot" to notarize something, or something didn't get signed...I looked back through the packet and the items were either never sent, OR the new ones are totally different than what I originally received. Just watch out, because their goal is to not pay you for a second trip...

Reply by CJ on 4/24/13 9:55am
Msg #466917

Which docs need to be notarized? n/m

Reply by CJ on 4/24/13 10:01am
Msg #466918

Please do all communicating with them by email,

That way, you can document all his threats and crimes (to protect yourself). Even to suggest backdating is a misdemeanor. Is this the signing service who is making all of these demands? Or someone else? If it is not the signing service, PLEASE let them know right away. Their job is to handle this sort of nonsense. If you have to go back for a second trip and get paid, they want to get paid too, so it is in their best interest to find out exactly whose fault it is. If the lender or title want you to back date, and you get in trouble for it, the SS can also get in trouble too, so they don't want that either. Even if the whole thing blows up in your face and the SS never hires you again, it's better than committing a felony.

Reply by Wendy/OH on 4/24/13 12:31pm
Msg #466936

Re: Please do all communicating with them by email,

Yes it is documented by email and when I reminded him of that fact he relented and said to do it my way. I am glad to report that the loan did fund as scheduled. And yes it was a signing service asking me to do the back dating.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.