Notary Rotary
Before you bash or talk trash
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to August, 2013 Index

Posted by PJM/MI on 8/24/13 6:56am
Msg #481712

Many of the title agencies and signing services READ our posts. I once posted on here about a certain title company and within 1/2 hr, they called me. So be careful what you post and who you trash.

Reply by 101livescan on 8/24/13 7:19am
Msg #481713

This has been confirmed to me many times by companies I've worked with.

Reply by Lee/AR on 8/24/13 7:26am
Msg #481714

Agree. However, some posts may be constructive criticism that they ought to heed.

Reply by Malbrough_LA on 8/24/13 7:56am
Msg #481715

Abundantly confirmed

I can vouch for this one myself. I posted the other day about one of my favorite SS not calling me in a while. A short while later, the phone rings, and it's them with a job. I missed the initial contact due to a constituent in my office that had issues with a vehicle titled in her name being impounded in Washington (had 4 forms to draft for that one as she was donating the vehicle to her daughter, and the police were requesting id verification and a sworn statement she was allowing daughter to remove it from impound prior to donation). Anyhoo, yeah I can get a bit busy, and the office becomes frenetic when I start slinging legal forms around lol.

So, I call them back a few mins later. Seems the assigning party has left for the day. Frown Then I check email this morning. Their mail went into the spam folder. Long story short? (I'm southern and been told I'm over educated which means I can be a windbag sometimes) They filled the job. Wish I could have gotten the email sooner, but meh.

Moral? It should never be about beating any company up (this is a profession purportedly filled with professionals), but aye they do monitor these forums. This particular SS, I love them for it. Even though we couldn't connect on this one, we'll try again on the next one. Wink

Reply by walthtz on 8/24/13 8:02am
Msg #481716

How True!

Reply by MW/VA on 8/24/13 8:29am
Msg #481718

That's true. The good ones don't have anything to worry

about. We've seem it a few times, where a notary brings their gripe to the forum instead of getting it resolved with the co.
Otherwise, the bad cos. beware--because we do spread the word.

Reply by Notarysigner on 8/24/13 8:36am
Msg #481720

Re: disagree! I don't think most professionally

ran companies (with substantial operating capital ) have time to read the forums ( too many). I think it is more individualized by people with hidden agendas. I once had a LO tell a SS not to use me because she didn't like my penmanship. The SS balked at the request because he knew about her agenda but had to give in because it comes down to being all about the money.

If our attitude(s), skills frighten off less then desirable companies from calling me, It's a good thing.

If we all posted, "we'll take whatever you give us", nobody would be posting, "slow EOM".

Reply by Darlin_AL on 8/24/13 8:52am
Msg #481721

update on my bash--WHEN I finally heard back from the mgr w/the "cancelled" excuse, this is my reply "No it hasn’t. The borrowers called me that a man showed up at their door who said HE was the notary and HE had the documents. When you double-book something or decide to “retract” the confirmation---the least you can do is be honest about it—if not advise the notary you don’t want. I turned down a higher paying job that called after I committed to you, for this time." She's going to check into it. The bash/trash is not so much about the double-book, but about them not advising me of the "cancel". Had I known by lunchtime, I had a lucrative offer & could've made much more...profit! When I make mistakes (and there's been some big embarrassing, job-risk ones), I do the best & most I can to at least advise the wronged party, apologize & make it up if at all possible--get with my manager on a positive course of action. So, either the mgr was "misinformed" or it was ... deserving of the bash/trash. I know they read & hope they heed. There's plenty of reliable companies that call me first.

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 8/24/13 11:38am
Msg #481728

Being a SS means never having to say you're sorry.

I'm with you, Darlin! If they'd just own up to double-booking and apologize, all would be forgiven. Mistakes happen. No biggie ... well, sort of a biggie because we're always turning down jobs for the same time period. But being a SS, big or small, means never having to say you're sorry ... especially to a mere notary, of whom there are millions more they can abuse and lie to, so who are we to expect "special" treatment?

I once had a pretty good thing going with a one-woman-owned SS who booked another notary for the same signing that her assistant had booked me for the day before. (It's a long interesting story how I found out about this ...). So when signing time was getting close and I had no docs, no confo, etc. she responded to my e-mail: "Canceled." I responded (in my mind): "Fired!" I never did work for her again; e-mailed her to take me off her list).

Of course, "cancellations" have happened to me several times over my 10 years as an NSA, and like JanetK posted yesterday, "Canceled" is code for a lot of things, and occasionally it's actually true because weeks later we get the signing again. Most of time I just accept the "canceled" excuse, but when we *know* we're being lied to like you were ... that's the deal-killer for me. Of course, if I "fired" every SS who lied to me, I'd be baking cookies right now .... mmmm, that's sounds good!
Snickerdoodles!

Reply by ladyknc on 8/24/13 12:08pm
Msg #481734

Re: Being a SS means never having to say you're sorry.

Finding out from the property county register of deeds office if deed recorded also shows who notarized.
So after having been lied to a couple of times = found out was a lie via mortgage doc lookup.

Reply by Les_CO on 8/24/13 9:46am
Msg #481724

One of the best things about this board is the distribution of personal experiences we have had dealing with others in this business, both good and bad. I say if your experience is either tell us about it honestly. JMO

Reply by 101livescan on 8/24/13 10:10am
Msg #481726

Agree!

The bad companies don't call me any more. Either I have earned their displeasure, they are out of business due to downturn, or I'm reputed as shunning low, slow, no pay companies. Okay by me! I have no time to give them any oxygen at all.

I think it is vital to our own financial survival to report bad companies and the best companies on this forum. If the bad guys are reading the negative reviews, they have an opportunity to better their reputations by running a better company. Of course, there are companies out there who live hand to mouth and have no intention of paying their notaries, ever.

It's getting that time again, August 30, 2013, to run the numbers by star ratings to see how we're comparing, how many 5s, 4s, 3s, 2s and 1s are on the radar screen vs. July numbers.

It's all too apparent by a display of how the numbers change month by month!

Reply by JanetK_CA on 8/24/13 3:43pm
Msg #481753

"...honestly."

I agree with you, Les, and PJM/MI. To me, the key point is that if you're going to post, make very sure you have your facts correct and try very hard to stick to the facts. People get themselves in the most trouble when they start making accusations and characterizations and casting aspersions... That's when things get off track. If you stick to the facts of the situation, then others can add their perspective(s) - if they have a different one - and readers can make their own judgments, based on fair info.

I doubt many businesses with integrity and ethics would have a problem with that. What companies have a right to be troubled with are postings with partial truths and distorted accounts.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.