Notary Rotary
Borrowers come to table without a requested copy of ID
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to August, 2013 Index

Posted by snoopdogMs on 8/29/13 6:09am
Msg #482435

It doesn't happen very often but is very irritating when it does. I met a borrower at a coffee shop at 10am yesterday. When we sat down, I asked to see ID and for the copy that I had requested. He said I did not make the request and that he is pretty good about business affairs. Hm.mm. Fortunately, after the signing, he was able to go less than a half block to a business that was his friend and make a copy. As we were departing, I asked him out of curiosity did he still have my message on his phone. Sure! Feeling confident, he put it on speaker phone and started the message. Bamm! there is was.."you will need a copy of your drivers license". I had even asked for it when I spoke with him to confirm our meeting. Blush...grin..,

Reply by DHartley_PA on 8/29/13 6:37am
Msg #482436

I run into this all the time. I love it when I get there and they say "oh, I didn't know you needed a copy" ???? So now I say, "I need a photocopy of your drivers license that I need to send back with the rest of the papers". Works a little better...<sigh> And what is it with homeowners that have a computer system and wait until you get there to make the copy only to discover the printer is out of ink?? <double sigh>

Reply by Ilene C. Seidel on 8/29/13 6:42am
Msg #482437

Why put the borrower in an embarrassing situation? Carry a cheap digital or take a photo with your smart phone and get it over with. That makes no sense.

Reply by DHartley_PA on 8/29/13 6:57am
Msg #482438

I take a picture with my smart phone only as a last resort. Used to carry a small printer/scanner around but got tired of lugging it around. I personally do not like having pictures of strangers drivers licenses on my phone. I had one borrower who absolutely refused to let me take the picture on my phone. He said he would fax a copy to them the next day. Fine with me.

Reply by MW/VA on 8/29/13 9:25am
Msg #482452

Ditto. I ask them to take the photo copy with their phone &

email it to me. I don't want pictures of other people's ID on my phone.

Reply by snoopdogMs on 8/29/13 7:46am
Msg #482442

Irene, don.t be so quick to judge

Mr. Borrower was not embarrassed at all. He was highly amused and had a good laugh.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 8/29/13 8:41am
Msg #482446

I disagree with taking a pic of ID as has been

discussed here ad nauseum. I know *I* would not allow *anyone* to take a picture of my photo ID. If borrowers can't get it together as instructed, they can assume the responsibility for correcting THEIR oversight - provide a fax number for title and tell them to fax their copy to title - photocopy of ID is required by their lender for funding...if they want the money or the loan they'll get it done.

JMO

Reply by Notarysigner on 8/29/13 9:23am
Msg #482451

Ditto! n/m

Reply by rolomia on 8/29/13 9:35am
Msg #482456

The BO's put themselves in an embarrassing situation. The NSA did their job. Why should the notary accept the blame for the BO's mistake?! I have enough self-respect to say and do what is right. I'm not there to protect BO's from their ignorance. You can be sure that some BO's live to argue semantics and have no problem accusing you of being wrong, if they think that you are.

I'm not there to make friends. If copy of ID required, I ALWAYS speak to BO 2X before arrival, or I leave a message on the BO's phone. I do this when I first confirm the order and again before leaving for the signing. If I get there and it's not done, I ask the BO's if they have a copier or scanner & printer. If they don't, then I call TC/SS for instruction. Most TC/SS are flexible and will allow BO to send same later. But, a few TC/SS want to be jerks. I only work for them, one time.

Reply by sp/MI on 8/29/13 1:23pm
Msg #482493

I had this issue the other day, the title company did the confirmation of appointment and when I asked title if they asked the borrower to bring a copy of their picture ID so I could send back in the package they said that if the borrower did not have one, I was to take a pic of it with my cell phone, go back to my office and print, and send back with package. I asked, what about all the privacy issues related to taking the pic with my phone and they told me... no issue.

I took my regular camera with me just in case. Good thing, they did not have it and were not told to bring it.

Reply by 101livescan on 8/29/13 9:13am
Msg #482449

Prior to funding condition on many loans

and if the borrower really wants his/her/their loan to close in a timely manner, then they need to comply, and I let them know that up front. Easy peasy. Copy machines abound in nearly every home, drug store, FEDEX office, mail stops, everywhere....shouldn't be a huge hurdle for borrowers.

Reply by NVLSlady/VA on 8/29/13 10:17am
Msg #482466

What I find interesting is that when I tell them this over the phone during the confirmation, some say, "OK, we have a copy machine here."

Of course, then when you arrive for the appt. NO copies have been made - and yes, lack of ink/toner is sometimes an issue!

I believe people just have all kinds of small compartmental divisions in their heads - and automatically "shut the door" on the inconvenient tasks until they have no choice but to comply. I am certainly guilty of it at times.

As an aside, what I found MORE frustrating recently was a closing in a mortgage office where the printer I was directed to needed Toner! Felt sorry for the borrower who had to wait until they got someone to confirm that No, that PC Won't print to the main copier; so we had to wait for someone to retrieve toner for the desktop, install, and we're in business! Kind of embarrassing but at least they were accommodating and helpful.

p.s. Naturally, Mr. borrower on that occasion had not made a copy of ID as directed beforehand and was signing as atty in fact for his wife without the POA!! (LO told me on phone, "No other notary ever asked for this." Yeah, right. They just take bo's word for it that he/she has poa . . . )

Talk about "adventures" in this biz

Reply by jba/fl on 8/29/13 12:04pm
Msg #482483

Most notaries take word of POA and not require proof

This is usually handled beforehand by the TC and Lender. Not my need-to-know.

Discussed here many times.

Reply by NVLSlady/VA on 8/29/13 10:39am
Msg #482470

Oh, then SS wonders why pckg didn't make 7 pm drop!

<<"Fortunately, after the signing, he was able to go less than a half block to a business that was his friend and make a copy">>

One set of instructions stated they track the nearest shipper location in relation to signing.

Sure, that works; but can you "track" all the other logistical matters like how long it takes you to sign in to some of these secure offices, "travel" to next work station where working copiers (or printer if in borrowers' homes), figure out why copier won't recognize paper size; beat that one traffic light that lasts 4.5 minutes; wait for dinner's done; "Oh, can you notarize something else for me before you go," Etc., etc.

And yes, if I'm signing at an office, I have no problem requesting that scanner be used when we're done. I'll happily wait.

Reply by HrdwrkrVA on 8/29/13 10:51am
Msg #482472

I ask for a copy, then ask what state - to ingrain it in

their brain. Then I let them know:
- only front side needed
- if 2 BOs, they can put it on 1 sheet of paper
- I write the state on my confirm

No way they can say I didn't tell them. We shud only be re-iterating this anyway. Sometimes they'll whine on our call "No one told me", to which I reply "That's why I'm double-checking".

I don't understand why it's so hatd for the scheduler (LO or TC) to tell them when making the appt!?1?
Sometimes they do...& sometimes they don't!

Reply by LynnNC on 8/29/13 12:43pm
Msg #482485

I say the same thing, and also to pls have the copy ready...

...when I arrive. Often, the borrowers still haven't made a copy.

I never take a copy of their DL with my smartphone. Most people are able to with their own and then email it. If not, I call TC or SS to see how they want to handle it.

Reply by HSH/WA on 8/29/13 11:12am
Msg #482475

Re: I just tell them to copy, scan and email a

copy to their LO. All you can do is ask, if they ignore you then they can take responsibility for getting it to the lender. I also alert the lender of the situation. No problems.

Reply by jba/fl on 8/29/13 12:06pm
Msg #482484

Same here. Not my loan. n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.