Notary Rotary
Brother Vent
Notary Discussion History

Brother Vent
Go Back to August, 2013 Index

Posted by MikeIL on 8/12/13 3:47pm
Msg #480204

Brother Vent

I have a Brother 5470DWT that I bought new in February of 2013. Last week two of the plastic clips on the back of the first drawer snapped off. Because of this the paper will not feed properly.

No problem, printer is only six months old and has a one year warranty. I log into the Brother website and it is too late to reach their live phone service. But they have a chat line. I log on and see I am number 5 in queue. I wait for 25 minutes and now there is one person ahead of me. I am knocked off the site. I log on and now I am number 8. Do some things around the office 35 minutes later I am number 2. Again I get knocked off line. Log on again and this time I am number 4 and I do get thru to a chat person. I am informed that the tray is not covered. Person cannot explain why. Okay I need the tray send it and I will pay the $29.00 for part including shipping, tax etc.

Drawer arrives today. Great I unpack it, and I know you will find this hard, to believe but I was sent the wrong tray. But it is during business hours so I call the Brother service line. After waiting a mere ten minutes I get a live person. I explain the problem and I am told all my information is there and I will be transferred to service. I wait and service answers and I ask if they understand my problem, no they have no information, so thru the process we go again. After explaining the issue I am asked what software I have and what is on the printer screen. Patiently, I explain it is not a software issue but a hardware issue.

I am than transferred to sales and you guessed it again I explain the whole problem. CSR checks my order and the serial number on the printer. I was given the wrong part number but she will correct the error. I am to send the part back (no prepay I must pay for the return) and my new drawer will be here in 2-4 weeks. They are out of stock. But for my problem they will ship out the new part next day at no extra charge.

Since I was pretty upset at this point I figured I may as well go for it. I asked why the drawer was not covered. I was told the drawer is considered an accessory and only has a 90 day warranty. I nicely mention the drawer is part of the main unit, I was told I could speak with the warranty department.

I get transferred back to the service department. I explain issue and ask why the part is not covered. The service tech in a condensing voice explains it is a mechanical part that wears out and that is why it is not covered. ????

I told the service tech I was now hanging up because I was about ready to explode an. use some language that he did not want to hear.

Time to go on the back porch, open up a bottle of good and wine and light a cigar.

Reply by Bob_Chicago on 8/12/13 4:09pm
Msg #480209

This is why I buy all of my computer and related equipmnent

from CDW ( Computer Discount Warehouse)
They are located in Vernon Hills , Illinois, not far from me. They also have a great web site
CDW dot com
and an800 # 800-800-4239,
Sell and ship nationally .
Prices are competitive.
Sales personnel are super competent.
Best thing is , if you have a technical issue , you call a 800 # 24/7 and in about 2 minutes or less, you are speaking to a technically knowledgeable person, who speaks English as a FIRST language.
Check it out.

Reply by rolomia on 8/12/13 5:09pm
Msg #480214

Bob_Chicago: What about CDW's warranty service?

You mention their tech. supp. But, what about their warranty service? Would a printer drawer/tray even be covered under their extended warranty? I've never placed much confidence in the usual manufacturer's warranty, which most customers now realize is in place to protect them, not us.

Reply by Bob_Chicago on 8/12/13 5:48pm
Msg #480219

Never needed it. I do know that they service large companies

Small and Home biz and home personal.
Never heard anything bad about their service.

Reply by rolomia on 8/12/13 5:09pm
Msg #480215

I gave up on Brother a long time ago. I've always had problems with their products. Sadly, more companies seem to be following their lead, though. As a result, quality deteriorates while prices increase. As long as un-savvy, unwary customers continue buying their inferior, over-priced products, they will continue to perpetuate this awful trend.

Reply by Luckydog on 8/12/13 7:13pm
Msg #480231

Never had an issue...6 years ago I bought an all in one 8460N and about 11 months into using it, it would not catch the paper. Got on with the tech support, we tried several things...they sent me a refurbished unit first, and when I received it, send the old unit back in that same box with the prepaid label included. Only thing not included was the drum, and was told to keep my old drum with cords. No problem. I am still using the refurbished unit with no problems.
Really sad to hear that with them, they must have changed their ways over the past few years with their customer service.

Reply by BrotherOwner on 8/13/13 2:41am
Msg #480272

Mike, sorry to hear of your problems. A couple suggestions. 1) ALWAYS ask for US based customer support. That is available during common US based customer service hours, not sure about weekends.
I have no experience with the 5470, but most trays are similar. Are you referring to blue "clips" at back or side of tray? Not sure how why/ those would break, but obviously they did. 2) Call (908) 704-1700 which is Brother home office in New Jersey, (I believe this is NOT the same location as Cust Service) and ask for printers Customer Service MANAGER. Was a woman some years ago. She was very nice, helpful, accomodating, and has the KEYS to the castle. Explain your situation, and negotiate what you need. I haven't read recent warranty language, but my feeling is it should be bumper to bumper for 1 year unless abused, dropped, filled with popcorn,etc. I have heard about a number of issues with the 5400 series, but not the trays. Good luck!

Reply by BrotherOwner on 8/13/13 2:43am
Msg #480273

Addl thoughts: Contact place you bought it in feb. re: their warranty, or through your credit card company.

Reply by Scriba/NM on 8/13/13 10:54am
Msg #480302

WHY DO PEOPLE KEEP BUYING BROTHER JUNK?

Every day there is something on this board about Brother printers. It's usually bad.

Software won't work. Paper won't feed. Won't recognize change in paper sizes and on and on and on, and now this nightmare.

These printers are for people who don't do "real" printing. They are cheap (in more ways than one) but notaries keep buying them. I guess they are in to self-torture. This adventure was horrible and that is why everyone says Brother service is (for the most part) non-existent.

I've been buying reconditioned HP printers from the HP service center here in town (2 drawer, network capable) for 10 years. They run forever with no problems AND cheaper than a new "Brother".

Reply by PA_Notary_II on 8/13/13 1:18pm
Msg #480323

WRONG-WRONG-WRONG, RALPH...

I have a Brother HL-5170DNLT that I purchased in 2003 and it is an absolute workhorse. I use reman toner cartridges and OE drums and have never had a problem even though I have had it connected to 3 different computers over the years. (never had a problem with drivers on any of them). The only thing I've found is that you must give the machine a thorough cleaning at least once a year to keep the dust from fouling the rollers. I would buy another Brother in a heartbeat....so to each his own...mine is a gem !

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.