Notary Rotary
Caution at all times -
Notary Discussion History

Caution at all times -
Go Back to August, 2013 Index

Posted by Belinda/CA on 8/27/13 6:08pm
Msg #482262

Caution at all times -

A lady that works in my husband's office building downtown had a lost dog. She put signs up around her neighborhood with a photo, description, her name and phone number. She got a call from someone who found her beloved pet. She went to meet up with this person to be reunited with her doggie. That was two weeks ago and they just found her body. Please don't trust anyone and be very careful. They will use any means to get a victim. So so sad. This sicko probably didn't even really have the dog. Or, maybe he stole the dog to get to her. Who knows. :o(

We walk into the unknown on a daily basis. Be aware of your surroundings. I saw on a show the other day that a nice weapon to carry is a sucker. A simple sucker on a stick such as a lollypop. You can quickly put the ball portion in your palm with the stick protruding through your fingers. It is a deadly weapon that is not classified as such. It is taught in self-defense classes. There are crazy people out there and our odds of meeting one is much greater than it is for the average bear.

Reply by aanotary on 8/27/13 6:23pm
Msg #482266

Thank you n/m

Reply by LKT/CA on 8/27/13 8:10pm
Msg #482283

Whether business or pleasure....always meet folks at Starbucks or McDonalds. Both are just about on every other corner....if not on every corner.

Reply by 101livescan on 8/27/13 8:13pm
Msg #482284

We live in a very scary world. I lrah daily as I'm revving up my motor on my morning routine that :God will keep me safe and unharmed and that He will continue to bestow blessings,good health physically and emotionally and that I will bring a smile to everyone I meet. So far so good. My prayers to this lady's loved ones in their despair and loss.

Reply by LKT/CA on 8/27/13 9:13pm
Msg #482289

Lollypop - a great self-defense tool

To add...I would not advise taking self dense but taking martial arts as a lifestyle. Jiu jitsu is excellent for women and those who don't have a lot of physical strength because you take down your opponent with leverage and technique. But even better than that, martial arts gives you a confidence and posture you wouldn't otherwise have without it. It is great exercise too - a workout in and of itself. You WILL lose weight taking jiu jitsu.

Reply by Belinda/CA on 8/27/13 9:36pm
Msg #482299

Are you telling me I need to lose weight? HA ;o) n/m

Reply by AngelaV/CA on 8/27/13 11:18pm
Msg #482310

Re: Lollypop - a great self-defense tool

I'm liking the martial arts idea - can't believe I just got a tip on a Jiu jitsu place from the waitress. Thanks for the suggestion! I do mostly general notary work and I am all over the place, including parking lot signings. I love my work and I am very cautious. I would say 50% of my business is repeat customers, which is nice.

Reply by rolomia on 8/28/13 5:32am
Msg #482319

Re: Lollypop - a great self-defense tool

I found the following link to a funny website that parodies the lollipop-as-a-weapon idea. Just copy & paste same into your web browser:

http://wes2299.deviantart.com/art/Concept-Weapon-Lollipop-102244120

Reply by Kat2857/CA on 8/27/13 11:26pm
Msg #482311

I do that with my car key......................

it is long. I carry it day or night.

Reply by 101livescan on 8/28/13 6:27am
Msg #482321

I am reminded of the movie with Tom Cruise and Jamie Foxx where Tom hires Jamie to be his chauffeur in the contract killing of a bunch of drug lords in COLLATERAL. In one hit, he pretends to be the NOTARY PUBLIC!

YIKES! No wonder people want to see our IDs! This move won an Academy Award, so did Jamie Fox. Wildly entertaining, but that's HOLLYWOOD!

Seriously, I count my blessings that I am invited to some of the best homes and businesses on the planet. I don't take risky assignments.

Reply by Les_CO on 8/28/13 10:09am
Msg #482338

Personally I’d say a lollypop is for suckers. I carry a S&W Chiefs special airweight 38, but I’m old fashioned and like wheel guns. For the ladies that want something tiny look into the North American Arms 22 LR, or the 22 magnum 5 shot revolver, the mag is tiny but packs a big punch. For those wanting something more modern, and a bit bigger, although still very small, the Kel-Tec 380 automatic, or the S&W Bodyguard 380, both about the size of a pack of cigarettes, and even more deadly. Here in Colorado you would be surprised how many times when I ask for 2 photo IDs that I get a driver’s license, and a permit to carry concealed. You may also be surprised how many lady realtors are packing when they show an empty house, or hold an open house not within the city or on more suburban, ‘mountain’ property. But to each his own, and if candy or a whistle works for you go for it. JMO.

Reply by Stephanie Santiago on 8/28/13 4:22pm
Msg #482393

Thanks for the info, Les. n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.