DOT Backdate
Notary Discussion History

DOT Backdate
Go Back to August, 2013 Index

Posted by SanDiegoStar on 8/22/13 1:08pm
Msg #481551

DOT Backdate

I think I know the answer to this one, just looking for some feedback:

I got a call to have a DOT and some riders signed by borrowers.

DOT and Riders are dated over a year ago due to some recording mix up, so I was told.

As long as I complete my notarization for the date the signers appear before me the date on the documents should not matter, right?

I did search the forum posts and I saw some old (2008) posts that indicated the date of the document is irrelevant to me as the notary as long as I complete the notarization with the date the signer appeared before me.

Thanks in advance.

Reply by ananotary on 8/22/13 1:14pm
Msg #481553

Exactly correct. n/m

Reply by Ilene C. Seidel on 8/22/13 1:21pm
Msg #481554

Yes you are correct. It's dated the date you witness their signature.

Reply by Stephanie Santiago on 8/22/13 1:29pm
Msg #481556

As others have confirmed, you are correct. n/m

Reply by Malbrough_LA on 8/22/13 3:13pm
Msg #481570

All are correct, date for the date signer appeared before

you. Just had one like this 20 minutes ago with a lady that had predated her 401k spousal consent form for last week. I told her that me signing and dating for today would invalidate her form (as was clearly marked on the form). I had the company fax me a blank one and everyone was happy. Wink

Reply by Yoli/CA on 8/22/13 4:14pm
Msg #481576

Re: All are correct, date for the date signer appeared before

A while back, I had a last minute signing (didn't even have time to prep) -- had to be signed that day (i.e. 8/22/13) and be sure to get docs get to Fedex in time to deliver next morning. Borrowers and I date everything the date of signing (8/22/13). Some docs were pre-dated with next day's date (8/23/13). Of course no one available to inquire about that. We figured, hey TC had been adamant about signing today. Let's do it.

Next day, I get a call from the SS. Same package needs to be re-signed entirely. Apparently, TC was initially wrong to push for same day. According to SS, I was correct in having it signed as initially requested. Re-signed the entire package with the current date to match dates pre-filled by TC/lender (8/23/13). Now, all dates are the same.

Got paid for 2 signings and so did SS. TC ate their error.

So, if docs are dated sometime in the past, that's fine - provided our notarial certs have actual signing date. However, if docs are pre-dated with a future date, I now question that.

JMO based on IME. Wink

Reply by MW/VA on 8/22/13 4:41pm
Msg #481578

You're correct. I've had a couple of situations where I

was asked to go out & get a new DOT signing--it was signed & notarized for the current date.
Sometimes they get sent off for recording & somehow disappear. I still can't figure out how it takes that long for them to know it's not recorded.

Reply by SanDiegoStar on 8/22/13 9:41pm
Msg #481605

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.