Notary Rotary
Disputed a "defect report" from Title Source
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to August, 2013 Index

Posted by sigtogo/OR on 8/14/13 8:37pm
Msg #480539

I get this email today that says borrowers check was off by 9 cents.
Being the ex-banker that I am, I am guessing someone transposed numbers. the document posted on the web site is so tiny I can't read it and they don't include copy of the check so I call. The very nice TS rep said indeed the check was short 9 cents. She was apologetic that is was reported as defect but its required. No error too small evidently.

So I decide to dispute because Oregon notaries, according to all TS instructions, are NOT TO HANDLE FUNDS! I know of no other company that interprets Oregon law this way but it doesn't matter to me, I just do what they instruct. I asked the borrower if his check was for $xxx.xx and he said yes and he sealed in envelope, writes name across seal and I enclose in the package. One could certainly argue that I should have the borrower show me the check and not trust him to read the amount correctly, which I will be doing in the future btw Smile

Supposedly TS will let me know when the dispute has been addressed. however, just now while finishing one of the nifty trainings I checked out my defect tab and low and behold I no longer have any defects. vindication!

also, thankful they did not ask me to go collect another check for the 9 cents Smile

Have a nice rest of your week all!!

Reply by Cherylann on 8/15/13 8:54am
Msg #480565

I got one, too. First time. Docs were sent directly to borrower, and this was one of those take it out of trust then put it back in deals. There's a form our county requires stating that the property being transferred is whole and not part of a parcel. One copy of this form was in doc pkg, which borrower signed. I received notice that I had a defect since only one of these forms was in the signed pkg. and there should have been two. Well, if you needed two, then you should have sent two. My challenge is still pending review/investigation. I've had attorneys in the past tell me this form only is required if property has more than one PIN number; doesn't apply in subdivisions, etc. where property is referenced by Lot number.

Reply by Cherylann on 8/15/13 10:36am
Msg #480575

Resolved in my favor. Paying me second fee to return to have 1 pg doc signed less than a mile from my home. Gotta love it!

Reply by sigtogo/OR on 8/15/13 1:43pm
Msg #480603

yahoo! two successful challenges to defect-it can be done! n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.