Notary Rotary
How To Set Letter and Legal Size Trays for Brother HL 6180
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to August, 2013 Index

Posted by CarolF/NC on 8/15/13 7:04pm
Msg #480647

Out of much frustration from several I am adding this info to forum in hopes that if one searches in the future they will find it.

Once you have installed your driver go to Control Panel and Click on Printers (differs on which operating system you use) Right click on the printer, then click on printer options. Go to Accessories Tab. You should see all of your trays, Tray1, Tray 2 and MP Tray, but most likely they all say undefined. You may have Tray 2 still showing in the box "Available Options" Click to add. You should see all 3 trays in the bottom screen now.

To Designate Which Tray prints Legal or Letter you must use the buttons on the printer itself. Use the down arrow key and scroll until you see Paper Tray, then click OK. Then use the down arrow key again until you see Tray 1 then click the OK button then use the down arrow key again until you see legal (best to have legal in tray 1) click ok to set it. You should get a message Accepted. Repeat the above steps for Tray 2 and set it as letter. Now make sure when you print from Adobe you have printer box checked Chose Paper Source by PDF.

Hope This Helps

Reply by CarolF/NC on 8/15/13 7:09pm
Msg #480648

or Brother HL-6180DWT or Brother HL-6180DW n/m

Reply by DebraOro/CA on 8/15/13 7:48pm
Msg #480656

Re: or Brother HL-6180DWT or Brother HL-6180DW

Great JOB Carol,
Thanks so much for helping me, and then posting this for others!!!!
Now I am off to get this thing on WiFi..........But I can still print docs
none the less.
Hallelujah !!!!

Reply by Larry/IL on 8/15/13 7:46pm
Msg #480654

I am glad to hear you got this figured out. Thanks for sharing, I am sure it may help someone in the future.

Reply by CarolF/NC on 8/16/13 8:51am
Msg #480682

Printer Options may be printer properties on some operating systems

Reply by Elizabeth Cavanaugh on 8/16/13 9:15pm
Msg #480762

Carol,

You are my hero! I've followed your advice and am now waiting for the next signing opportunity to come my way so I can test it. Question: Why do you advise legal paper in the top tray?

Reply by CarolF/NC on 8/16/13 9:44pm
Msg #480765

Elizabeth I was told it prints faster

Legal has less of a travel distance. Honestly I never tried it the other way so I don't know if its true. Hope it all works. If not PM
me.

Reply by jba/fl on 8/17/13 5:48am
Msg #480788

Re: Elizabeth I was told it prints faster

I have letter on top as most of my pages are letter size. If you are using a lot of legal, then that makes sense as it is a shorter "path" (so to speak) through the machine.

Reply by Patricia/VT on 8/26/13 12:44pm
Msg #481970

Thanks Carol. After a day of tech frustration, your clear, concise instructions enabled me to set up my new printer. I do wonder why the printer doesn't come with this information.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.