Notary Rotary
How to invoice for services
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to August, 2013 Index

Posted by Deborah Hall on 8/27/13 5:14pm
Msg #482237

I just completed my first signing and now need to invoice the company. Can anyone provide guidance on what the standard way to invoice for my services. We agreed upon a set price before the signing...I'm wondering do I just buy an invoice form from Staples? Is there an industry standard for invoicing for services rendered?

Thanks
Deborah

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 8/27/13 5:19pm
Msg #482240

I always used QuickBooks, sent the invoice through e-mail.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 8/27/13 5:20pm
Msg #482242

Re: How to invoice for services -PS

Using QuickBooks (or Quicken as some signing agents prefer) will also enable you to keep tabs so it will be easier for you at tax time.

Reply by MW/VA on 8/27/13 5:32pm
Msg #482249

Search msg. 478863 using the orange search button

at the top of the page. You can also research topics at any time this way.

Reply by mmk on 8/27/13 5:32pm
Msg #482250

Congrats!!! google microsoft invoice templates n/m

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 8/27/13 5:41pm
Msg #482254

If you're going to continue in this business one of the

best things you can, and must, do for yourself is get yourself a good bookkeeping program - I use Quicken, many use Quickbooks. Create invoices, track mileage, expenses, income, etc etc

It's a business expense that you really should put out - tax deductible and a great recordkeeper.

JMO

Reply by Belinda/CA on 8/27/13 5:45pm
Msg #482255

Try mkng own invoices in Word and spread sheets using Excel n/m

Reply by Treasure Valley Notary - Tina on 8/27/13 5:46pm
Msg #482256

Business 101

Hi Deborah, Everyone has been kind to you but I'm going to just state it like it is. You are in business, and it is time to act like it. You need to have a business plan. You need to figure out some of the basics if you are going to ultimately be successful. I'm not trying to be mean. But if you honestly need to ask what to do about an invoice tells me that you really aren't running a business like a business. The IRS won't take kindly to that.

Please contact SCORE or the Small Business Administration to help you. They are a great resource. If you don't know how to do an invoice, I am pretty certain that you probably don't know how to price your services also. I hope that I am wrong. But I see this all the time.

I wish you the very best. We all learn from the school of hard knocks, but the key to success is to keep those knocks as minimal as possible. Instead of setting yourself up for failure, take the necessary steps to get to success.

Reply by VT_Syrup on 8/27/13 6:50pm
Msg #482270

Step 2: accepting payment

Once you get through the invoicing part, and receive payment, have you figured out what you're going to do with the check? Various accounting methods provide various approaches, but tossing it in your personal banking account and just spending it isn't one of them. Better study up on it.

Reply by Robert522TX on 8/27/13 7:38pm
Msg #482276

Find forms at free printable.net n/m

Reply by JeffC/CA on 8/27/13 10:58pm
Msg #482307

Quickbooks is what I use, but it's expensive. Try this for free. I like it.

https://www.waveapps.com/

Reply by Monique Insalaco on 8/29/13 11:04am
Msg #482474

Jeff--thanks for this suggestion. This looks like a great solution for the basics.

Reply by AngelaV/CA on 8/27/13 11:44pm
Msg #482312

Congrats Deborah!

I'm with Belinda on this. I viewed some sample invoices online, then created my own document on Word (with the bill due and payable upon receipt) I use the same format every time. I simply make a duplicate of the last one and change all of the pertinent information. It's very simple, since they are all filed on my computer. I then send an email informing the client my bill is attached.

I also created a spreadsheet on excel (i admit I was rusty and had a little help). It lists the company/client, date signed, notary fee, travel fee, total paid, date paid and source (eg; agency, Internet, repeat customer). It is important to separate your notary and travel fees for tax purposes.

Good luck.

Reply by Stephanie Santiago on 8/28/13 3:50pm
Msg #482389

Different entities that I work with have different ways

of invoicing - a different protocol.
I do not have one way of invoicing for all of the entities I work with.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.