Notary Rotary
I proposed the following to Harry[NR]
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to August, 2013 Index

Posted by LKT/CA on 8/19/13 4:05pm
Msg #481035

I believe a simple change in posting new messages may be helpful to newbies (new notaries and those new to Notary Rotary), so that they do not feel "bashed" or gained up on. I sent this to the forum admin. in hopes that my suggestion will be taken in some form.

Suggestion: When someone clicks on the "New Msg" button, the only thing they should see on the screen is the box with the "Important Notice" with the orange search button and a "continue" button under the *Important Notice*. The orange search button would give everyone an opportunity to search the topic before posting. However, some posts are not necessarily questions. Some want to share an experience so they'll bypass the orange search button and hit the "continue" button which would take them to the screen to actually post the message. If the forum were set up that way, newbies could not help but see the *Important Notice* first and understand that they could (and should) do their due diligence before asking a question.

Your thoughts/comments?

Reply by jba/fl on 8/19/13 4:27pm
Msg #481042

If they actually read. People don't like to read.

I used to have a kiosk in the mall (there you go James) and people would approach, look at the product, look at my price sign and ask me how much. I would answer, "$15.95", then they would respond "but the sign says $12.95". I would tell them that was my translation fee, but they seldom got it.

It is an effort; some just can't quite do it.

Reply by Lee/AR on 8/19/13 4:39pm
Msg #481051

Nice idea, but those who take the time to understand something new will do it correctly and we'll never know. However, many, if not most, just 'explode' on the scene--you know that.

Reply by Karla/OR on 8/19/13 5:00pm
Msg #481056

LKT, thanks for stepping up and offering this suggestion to Harry/Not Rot.

Am I assuming correctly that (if your plan is accepted) the orange button will have something similar to the following verbiage NEXT TO IT: If you have a question you would like to post on this forum, first click the Orange Button and enter key words pertaining to your question. It is very likely it has already been answered there.

The verbiage next to the "Continue" button should indicate: click here to post information or question(s) that are not addressed after searching via the Orange Button.

My thought process is that a new person to this site (wanting to do a search) might be confused as to whether they click on the orange button or "Continue" to get to the SEARCH page.

Did I make any sense!!!!! (O:

Just my .02

Reply by LKT/CA on 8/19/13 9:47pm
Msg #481111

You're on the right track, Karla

Currently, when someone clicks on "New Msg", the page that comes up currently is the "Important Notice" box and under that is the area to post a message. I propose that when someone clicks on "New Msg" that ONLY the "Important Notice" box with the current info in it appear - in a 14pt font - and under that are the orange search button and a "Continue" button.....no box to actually post a message.... just yet.

A newbie will be (or should be) compelled to read what's in the box and if they don't and simply click on "Continue" (which will take them to a separate page to actually post a message) it will be very apparent that the newbie did NOT read the "Important Notice" and did not due their due diligence. Then when the newbie gets berated for not doing their due diligence, it will be EARNED. The veterans can easily spot a newbie's "Notary 101" question. There will be no doubt that the newbie was lazy and did NO research.

Anyone else just sharing an experience or asking a unique question can click on "New Msg" and then just click on "Continue" as they aren't asking a question but sharing info or asking a unique question.

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 8/19/13 6:42pm
Msg #481081

Good idea ....

additionally, one idea I had would be a newbie button all to itself, and under that newbie button we could put message numbers for them to search out and read. In other words, when a newbie posts: what do I do? We would respond: Click on green (or whatever color) newbie button. Period. That would be it. Any additional info NRer wanted to provide would be optional. And then we notaries would collect the messages we thought were most valuable; say PegitT's how to conduct a loan signing, or Treasure Valley's how to set up and operate a business. Maybe have the top 10 posts, labeled for easy access.

Granted that's a radical departure from the way the board operates now! And would require lots of cooperation from Harry [NR] ...and maybe he has better ideas or just wouldn't want to do it all. It's worth researching. Let us know if you hear back!

Reply by LKT/CA on 8/19/13 9:50pm
Msg #481112

Re: Good idea ....

That would work....a green Newbie button that would direct the newbie to pertinent posts that would get them on the right track. I like that !

Reply by Clem/CA on 8/19/13 7:32pm
Msg #481091

Maybe with a skip this message in the future option

Reply by Luckydog on 8/19/13 7:55pm
Msg #481097

I think a lot of suggestions are good, however it is no easy task to change a website like this and add this and that and have it all go smoothly and at little to zero cost to him and keep it simple. Things are s-l-o-w as can be, we have plenty of time to read repetitive things on here. JMHO

Reply by Linda Juenger on 8/19/13 8:23pm
Msg #481104

I have suggested before that where it says at the top "Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the Rules and Guidelines".

This should be in very LARGE font. BIG BOLD LETTERS. I just feel that this is NOT seen by anyone, much less a newbie.

The way it is is so faint and small. This should hit you in the face bold.

Reply by LKT/CA on 8/19/13 9:50pm
Msg #481113

I agree Linda n/m

Reply by LKT/CA on 8/19/13 9:57pm
Msg #481115

As it stands, newbies post and feel attacked

The forum needs updating in that area because it is not conducive to the new poster, sorry, but that's how I see it. And nothing worth its salt is "easy". What I proposed will make it simple for the new poster to navigate through the forum and to understand from the get-go that nothing will be handed to them and that will set standards and expectations that are fair to everyone. JMHO

Reply by linda/ca on 8/20/13 12:57am
Msg #481124

Not to sound rude, however, don't forget what Harry's main

focus "rightfully" is. As "paid Premier Members," Harry's "main" goal is to aid us in obtaining new clients, exposure, supplies, etc. Although the forum is perhaps the most popular and used tool to assist one another with information, question, problems, entertainment (yep), etc., it is not the main purpose of his website. (see his introduction below) I, therefore, don't feel Harry should be burdened with the task of making sure "newbies" are "prodded" to look at the directions that are already stated/available to them. Doing so would take away time well spent in making new programs available like T-Mobile and Hertz that people, based on their comments, are already benefiting from.

"Dedicated to the professional notary public, we can help you Find a Notary, Buy Notary Supplies, Become a Notary Public, Locate notary training and Notary Classes, Find Signing Agent Information, Obtain a Notary Public Background Check and More! For a more personalized experience, please enter your ZIP code in the box to the right and click GO.
Enter your ZIP Code:"

IMHO

Reply by JanetK_CA on 8/20/13 2:22am
Msg #481125

Re: Not to sound rude, however, don't forget what Harry's main

Right. And it's been a while since I checked, but doesn't he also sell notary and NSA training materials for those new to this business?

Frankly, Harry doesn't HAVE to do anything on this forum. We should be grateful we have this place. And in a market that's headed way south, do we really want to worry about changes to this board that might end up requiring the cost (and subsequently our renewal fees) to go up? I'd rather see fees stay where they are, if that's the choice - especially if they went up so we could cater to some people who decide to jump into the pond before learn to swim, and end up disappearing quickly after making a splash.

Reply by 101livescan on 8/20/13 8:23am
Msg #481129

I agree, Janet. n/m

Reply by NVLSlady/VA on 8/20/13 8:42am
Msg #481130

Selling to "those new"

Unfortunately, we can't control the behavior of other people; we can only regulate our own responses. I agree it's probably extremely tedious for long timers to here to read the redundant (and sometimes ignorant comments) of new posters. But IMO, it may be less problematic to just ignore some of the comments raised. In time, they will figure it out. We've all said dumb things at one time or other in our lives.

We all forget to Read (I took my SS card to be laminated yesterday and store clerk said No-can-do. I said why not - then turned over. First line of text: DO NOT LAMINATE. Oh). Sometimes it's oversight; sometimes it's Laziness, pure and simple. But it doesn't HAVE to generate an all-out War Cry (see Rules about "attacking others")! It's not a matter of life or death if someone interposes a phrase in their posing of a question that we personally take exception to. Only small people hone in and harp on the small stuff. We're grownups, right? (Right?)

How about if Members with a special gift for mentoring, those with Patience are allowed to have a ribbon or some other noticeable icon on their profiles and posts, alerting others of their willingness to assist newbies with positive / constructive feedback? Someone who can say, "Whoa, little doggie, don't go THERE!!," and be willing to "coach" them on the side. Public humiliation is unwarranted and goes contrary to the intent of forums such as this. In fact, I've been on other forums and this is not allowed.

It is also bad for business - Owner Harry's biz: <<"doesn't he sell notary and NSA training materials for those new to this business?">> Ever wonder who comes on here to buy the training for those NEW??

If we're looking for ways to scare them off, we may have found it. No one wants to eat good food off a dirty dish . . .

Reply by NVLSlady/VA on 8/20/13 8:45am
Msg #481131

And yes, Rules link could be bolder and in RED! n/m

Reply by Karla/OR on 8/20/13 3:33am
Msg #481126

My opinion is that LKT only posed the issue/solution to Harry and Not Rot. No one is holding a gun to his head. I'm sure he will let us know his thoughts and opinion, after some consideration, as to whether or not it is feasible.

It never hurts to ask.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 8/20/13 4:49pm
Msg #481261

True. It also never hurts for others to express slightly differing opinions... Wink

Reply by linda/ca on 8/20/13 8:49pm
Msg #481321

Karla/OR: When you are suffering from an extreme case of

"calling the kettle black," you may want to refrain from starting your sentence with: "My opinion." Make you seem very hypocritical or "not really thinking before you post."

Reply by jba/fl on 8/20/13 9:18pm
Msg #481326

And is the new poster a Professional Notary as this site is

called - or hoping to become one? Should the professional (already) be catered to or should the entire thrust of the mission statement be revised?

The distinction here is that we are for everyone, but we cater to the professional. (editorial 'we')

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.