Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Is it abs necesssary to print out docs in legal size only?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to August, 2013 Index

Posted by CaNotary777 on 8/26/13 1:38pm
Msg #481973

Have to go for a loan signing later today and found that after printing out 2 sets of papers( the second was set was printed unintentionally) in letter size ( one set to be signed and one for the borrower' to retain) the ink started fading before I could print out a set in legal size.
( I need to get a cartridge ). But since it's too late to go and get one now, I was wondering if I could do the signing in LETTER SIZE and NOT in legal size. I checked the instructions of the signing company and found that they have NOT mentioned paper size anywhere.
My question is are docs signed in letter size acceptable to some lenders? I know the recordable documents in California are generally printed out in letter size.
Should I go ahead and get the borrower to sign on the docs printed out on letter size?
Will appreciate input .. Thanks Smile

Reply by Teresa/FL on 8/26/13 1:42pm
Msg #481974

You need to check with your hiring party

Some companies will allow docs to be printed all on letter size as long as you shrink to fit and nothing is cut off.

Other companies want the docs printed as formatted, both letter and legal mixed, while yet others specify all legal (even when most docs in the package are letter size).

Reply by Belinda/CA on 8/26/13 1:44pm
Msg #481975

Only the hiring party can answer that question.

Teresa said it very well.

Reply by Teresa/FL on 8/26/13 1:44pm
Msg #481976

and in the future make sure you have a backup toner n/m

Reply by Belinda/CA on 8/26/13 1:49pm
Msg #481978

So true Teresa. I keep about 8 toners and 3 drums handy at

all times. If the backup is faulty you better have another one in the wings. And lots and lots of paper; both sizes.

Reply by CaNotary777 on 8/26/13 2:01pm
Msg #481980

I also keep spare ones. Didn't realize I had used them up... n/m

Reply by MW/VA on 8/26/13 2:13pm
Msg #481982

It's been my experience that most companies do not want

docs shrunk to letter size, and ask for mixed sizes or all on legal. Too bad this fell at EOM, but it happens. I would have gone to FedEx Office or somewhere to print before I would have printed on all letter size without checking with the hiring party.

Reply by ME/NJ on 8/26/13 2:26pm
Msg #481985

Re: It's been my experience that most companies do not want

I've used Staples print service when in a crunch, did a Quicken last week 8 bucks to print.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 8/26/13 3:18pm
Msg #481994

I wouldn't have them sign on reduced size copies. Lenders nearly always want docs printed on the same size paper as they were scanned. So if you don't have the capability for your printer to select different sizes as needed, you should default to legal. In the days before I bought a dual tray, I used to select out the recordables and print those on letter size. However, I still occasionally run into packages where I'm asked to print everything on legal size regardless. Not sure why, but maybe they think it's easier to handle. If that's what they want, that's what they get - although I can't imagine they will be happy about cutting the DOT down to letter size to record. Who knows, maybe they have some equipment these days that makes it easy...

What you could do, though (and I'm guessing you probably already do), is provide the BOs copies on letter size paper.

Reply by rolomia on 8/27/13 3:57am
Msg #482059

Are you willing to pay extra fee to record legal-size docs?-

One of the SS I rarely work for always instructs their NSA's to print ALL docs on legal size paper, only. And, I always ignore said instruction. And, they always call me with more orders. They don't review the docs. The TC does. And, they also pay the recording fee for the docs that get recorded by the county's circuit clerk.

EVERY single circuit clerk who I've called throughout the USA, iduring the course of my legal research/skip-tracing/judgment enforcement business has stated that legal-size documents ALWAYS incur an additional fee. Some charge per doc. Some charge per package. But, ALL the CC's I've called always charge an extra fee, without exception.

I set my printer to print the docs. according to orig. size. Never had an issue. Don't expect that I will. Besides, most of the SS' who issue such instructions to their NSA's are run by incompetent hacks who couldn't make it as NSA's. Learn the business. Then, trust your instincts. JMHO

Reply by JanetK_CA on 8/27/13 5:31pm
Msg #482247

Re: Are you willing to pay extra fee to record legal-size docs?-

Companies I was referring to are title co's or large settlement agencies with their own staff having to do any cutting down to size. And the docs I get are generally all scanned legal size.

If it was a ss, I suspect I'd either ask or print as provided. (My printer is dual tray and selects the right size.) Most of the time when I've asked a ss, they will say that that instruction is just for people who don't have a dual tray printer, so I print them as I got them.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.