Notary Rotary
Nervy people
Notary Discussion History

Nervy people
Go Back to August, 2013 Index

Posted by upnorth/AK on 8/20/13 10:38am
Msg #481155

Nervy people

Just got a call to do a seller's package. She says they are typically very small packages can I do it for $35. I say no, my price is XXX. She asks if I can compromise and do it for $50? I ask what the zip code is. Well it is about a 30 minute drive with current construction. She puts me on hold and comes back and says she googled it and it is only about a 20 minute drive. At this point I was irritated that she thought she knew my city better than me and told her my price stands. She says so you are going to charge XXX for a few pages to drive 20 minutes? I said yes I am. She will get back to me. It's not even worth my time or $4 a gallon gas to leave the house for $35.

Reply by MW/VA on 8/20/13 10:49am
Msg #481161

That gets me, too. Their whole attitude about these

transactions is unbelievable. A seller's package is a real estate transaction. You can be sure the agent & everyone else got their cut, so now you're expected to do the ACTUAL final paperwork for $35!! That's ridiculous. I'm usually offered $75, and that's already low enough. I hope they didn't get anyone to take it for that amt. ;-(

Reply by NVLSlady/VA on 8/20/13 10:51am
Msg #481162

Good for you! The presumption of them trying to know WHERE you actually are at any given time is incredible. Got similar "small seller package" spiel last week. My fee: $100.00. And yes SS DID call back. I had to turn down a $160 (I think, tried not to remember cuz it hurts) same day/time. Can you imagine how I would have felt if I was doing the original job for only $35-$50!!

How do they know where you're driving to/from or what your schedule is for that day? Closing at 10 am, one county. Closing at noon, next county over. Squeeze yours in for 2:00; then off to prime time 6 pm in rush hour - 40 minutes away . . . Their (un)reality hurts my head.

Reply by 101livescan on 8/20/13 10:56am
Msg #481163

I would say, I work for the best. You seem low budget op... n/m

Reply by MW/VA on 8/20/13 11:30am
Msg #481173

I don't know why you can't understand that those of us

who aren't in CA don't get paid the same fees. It does vary by demographic.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 8/20/13 11:09am
Msg #481167

What they forget:

1. "20 minutes drive" - make that 40 (considering round trip) PLUS a little extra for package drop. TIME, GAS AND MILEAGE

2. "few pages" - Seller's packages can be upwards of 20-25 pages (yes small compared to loan packages) but double that for Seller copy - 50 pages. TIME, PAPER, TONER.

3. Your area, time of day, intervening issues - detours, school buses, speed limits, etc etc.

4. FAXBACKS! TIME TIME TIME!

I do Seller packages for $85 - $100, no less. $35 offer, even $50, IMO, is an insult.

JMHO

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 8/20/13 11:10am
Msg #481168

Forgot...the fee quoted above is for my home county

only - outside my home county is an additional $25 for additional time and travel.

Reply by Alz on 8/20/13 11:36am
Msg #481176

Agree, it is insulting. That's why I have a special ring

I have a TC that pays XXX for in office sigings of seller packages. No printing, no faxing.

Reply by Alz on 8/20/13 11:38am
Msg #481177

Special ring tone for companies mentioned above.

Hit the enter key....too quickly.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 8/20/13 4:58pm
Msg #481264

Re: Agree, it is insulting. That's why I have a special ring

Right. Another thing about seller's packages is that they often want to read every line. There's no RTC period for a sale, and they want to be sure that they're not losing any money to extra charges and fees. Of course, there are those that are short sales and others who are just glad they've been able to sell the property at all. But as a rule, I've seen few where they just wanted to sign away and be done with it.

Reply by Eric Andrist on 8/20/13 1:31pm
Msg #481199

Yeah, here in L.A. it's particularly bad between the hills/mountain area, and then traffic.

I live near Universal Studios so I can serve all of the Hollywood hills including Beverly Hills. Most of the homes on the hill are on very windy streets (meaning curvy, not breezy!) and it's not like trying to get to a home in a normal neighborhood. Or, if they want me to go to West Hollywood at 4 PM, I still have to cut over the top of the Hollywood Hills (to avoid freeway traffic), and that's going to take longer and can is actually more dangerous.

But when they look at a map on the computer, it looks like 7 miles as the bird flies, and "it shouldn't take you long to get there."

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 8/20/13 1:56pm
Msg #481210

Yeah, when I lived in Tarzana, I'd often be asked to go to Burbank.... and they were like, it's less than 15 minutes!

I always laughed at them. On time I said, "Honey... it's 15 minutes if I leave at 4 in the morning on a Saturday and I'm lucky if the freeway isn't shut down for construction during that time. Ugh.... I hate LA traffic.

Now, where I am now... I can do about 17 miles in 20 minutes on a good day. But that's because it's a wide-open desert highway where I can go 70MPH. of course, that's if I don't have to stop for one of two train crossings... and if that happens? FORGET IT. I could be stuck there for just 2-3 minutes or an hour depending on what they're hauling.

Reply by Eric Andrist on 8/20/13 3:18pm
Msg #481241

Exactly. I had a job in Topanga not too long ago, which is the furthest I've gone. Took a while on the freeway along, then had to travel up into the mountains to get to her house! Her driveway was so steep I had to put it in low gear to get up it. I kept thinking through the whole signing..."don't screw this up or you'll have to drive out here again!"

Reply by Angela C Anderson on 8/20/13 3:54pm
Msg #481247

I'm tired of the SS using google to tell me my drive time. They use center of town instead of my actual address.. Add 10 miles from my actual address to town. Anywhere I go from my country location in Texas takes at least 30 minutes. Don't offer me 50 bucks for 2 hours of my time. I have also gotten yelled at by the scheduler saying I should do the job! Hello - this is my job. Let's all start asking the schedulers if they will start working for Half price! ;o)

Reply by ikando on 8/21/13 1:03pm
Msg #481390

I haven't but have often felt like asking if the scheduler gets paid by the hour, by the contact, or by the actual dispensing of the job. If they're paid by the hour, you can bet they really don't care what we make. They're EMPLOYEES. We, on the other hand, are business OWNERS and we have to pay for things the average employee never even thinks of.

If they're paid on commission (contact or job), they really don't care what we make because they get paid for completions. As employees, they get paid regardless of whether the loan closes or is rescinded.

Also, if they don't work out of their home, they may travel to one place and sit for a specific amount of time. They don't have to deal with traffic, construction, weather, or irrational signers. They get paid for the job they were hired to do.

NSAs need to remember they are not employees.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.