Notary Rotary
Notary applications have jumped 4x usual number
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to August, 2013 Index

Posted by Linda_in_MI on 8/3/13 8:49am
Msg #479148

This out take is from a story in the Savannah Morning News (Savannahnow.com), under the news column "Business in Bluffton". I believe the entire article was written by Bill Herbkersman, R-Bluffton, who represents District 118 in the South Carolina House of Representatives.

DISCLAIMER: I have no dog in this fight as the saying goes. But while the estimated increase in weekly applications was interesting, what would be more interesting for me would be to see how long this increase is sustained -- and if at that point in time when these newly granted commissions expire if these individuals renew their notary commission.

Your thoughts?

"We have experienced a major uptick in activity at the office the last few weeks. One of the areas having the biggest increase is the number of applications for Notary Public. We usually have 10 or 15 a week, but the numbers have been up around 60 for the last several weeks. My speculation is that this is connected to the revival in the real estate sector.

The processing of notary applications is one of the legacy functions of the delegation, dating to the time before home rule when many of the functions of local government were handled by the legislative delegation. We take the applications, along with the $25 filing fee, verify the information through a fairly complicated but thorough inspection, then pass them along to the office of the secretary of state. Over my years as head of the delegation, we have worked out a very efficient system to place the verified applications with the Secretary of State with a minimum of delay and a maximum of accuracy. Our delegation office has a stellar reputation with not only constituents, but also the state offices with whom they routinely communicate."

Reply by Cheryl Elliott on 8/3/13 9:56am
Msg #479157

There are 160,197 notaries in California today!

Reply by MW/VA on 8/3/13 4:03pm
Msg #479189

Probably due to XYZ conference & marketing again. ;-( n/m

Reply by Roger_OH on 8/3/13 4:16pm
Msg #479191

Those applicants with $ signs in their eyes...

will be in for a surprise when they discover South Carolina is an attorney-only state for loan signings,

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.