Notary Rotary
Price
Notary Discussion History

Price
Go Back to August, 2013 Index

Posted by Helen HARDEEN on 8/9/13 5:41pm
Msg #479866

Price

I need to know how much I can/should charge to notarize? I am new at this, I currently work for a bank and is starting to the take additional work. Thanks for the help.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 8/9/13 6:08pm
Msg #479867

Your state sets your fees for notarizations. Check your

handbook. If allowed, you can also charge a travel fee/service charge.

http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/revenue/dcr/geninfo/notarymanual.shtml

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 8/9/13 6:10pm
Msg #479869

According to the NJ Notary Manual you can charge:

Administering an oath/affirmation $2.50/ea
Executing a jurat $2.50/ea
Taking proof of a deed (proof of execution) $2.50/ea
Taking an acknowledgment $2.50/ea

Reply by Helen HARDEEN on 8/9/13 6:26pm
Msg #479873

Thank you.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 8/9/13 8:44pm
Msg #479900

Correction Helen

Just noticed your commission is New York not New Jersey, New York notary fees are $2.00.

http://www.dos.ny.gov/licensing/notary/notary_faq.html#2

May a notary public charge for administering an oath or affirmation or for taking an acknowledgment or proof or execution?

A notary public may charge a fee of $2.00 for administering an oath or affirmation or for taking an acknowledgment or proof of execution. Unless otherwise authorized by law, a notarial fee may not exceed this amount.

Reply by Scriba/NM on 8/10/13 1:22am
Msg #479925

You May Be Overlooking One Thing.......Maybe

Who paid for your notary fees and bond (and E&O if any)? Due to liability issues, many banks will not let their employees notarize anything other than bank related business (if THE BANK paid for the application fee, the Bond, the notary stamp and any other supplies).

This has come up several times with four different banks here (WF and BofA for two). Their employees are prohibited from non-bank related notary work (and yes, it's legal - IF the bank financed the aforementioned items and the employee signs a statement of understanding).

If not, sign away but be sure you know what you're doing.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.