Notary Rotary
Re: Msg #479601 and adding verbiage after the fact
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to August, 2013 Index

Posted by Marian_in_CA on 8/9/13 12:47am
Msg #479756

I've been out a lot lately, and trying to catch up on things at night. At any rate, I wanted to answer Holly's question from Msg #479601 where she asks if she can add wording to her certificate after that fact. In her case, it was a week later or something? This is for California, or course.

According to the Sample Workbook, the answer is NO, you cannot. You need to be sure that the notarial certificate wording is correct before you affix your signature and seal. After that... it's done. If you messed up a certificate and it's after the fact... you're going to have to do it all over again as a new notarization, which means appearance by the signers to re-acknowledge signing the document. They don't need to re-sign, just re-acknowledge. And, of course the date on your new certificate would be the new date, not the original one.

If the wording isn't right, you can write it out by hand... not an issue... in fact, you can always write out your notarial certificates by hand.

The answer is on page 29 of the workbook:

"The certificate of acknowledgment cannot be added to or altered after the notary public’s seal and signature are affixed to the document. (California Civil Code sections 1188 and 1193.) "

Workbook link: http://www.sos.ca.gov/business/notary/forms/notary-education-sample-workbook-2013.pdf

(For those not familiar, the sample workbook is an additional resource published by the Sec of State and has a LOT of information in it. It was referenced as a resource in this year's newsletter, too. If you haven't read it... I fully suggest doing so. It answers a LOT of questions.)

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.