Notary Rotary
Represent yourself as a Paralegal
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to August, 2013 Index

Posted by ToniK on 8/29/13 7:38pm
Msg #482559

SO I get a call today to take a debt settlement signing. Well the initial call said "signing in your location" and I requested more information. The caller stated he had a spiel to give me. He says "This is a debt settlement and you must represent yourself as a Paralegal. Its only 28 pages and all need to be faxed back for $58." I said excuse me how much? He repeated $58. Then I said well I refuse to falsely represent myself as a Paralegal as I am not one. He said "Ok we'll find someone else."

Ok ummm isnt one supposed to be trained, experienced or educated as a Paralegal? I have never worked in a law firm or even with a lawyer. Hiring some random notary to represent themselves as a paralegal..isnt that morally and ethically wrong?

Reply by CinOH on 8/29/13 7:41pm
Msg #482560

Hiring some random notary to represent themselves as a paralegal..isnt that morally and ethically wrong?
Yes. I refuse to do it also.

It's actually not illegal in every state though, but definitely unethical. I wonder the real reason behind them asking notaries to do that.

Reply by Jack/AL on 8/29/13 7:51pm
Msg #482561

Some of those same companies also require that you also represent yourself as an EMPLOYEE of the company, AND notarize myour own signature! I find it best to just say "NO!"

Reply by JanetK_CA on 8/29/13 8:41pm
Msg #482573

Maybe that tactic didn't work (sure didn't fly with me!), so they're trying something else? Wink

Reply by MW/VA on 8/29/13 8:02pm
Msg #482562

Ridiculous, of course. Many of us won't get involved in any

way with that kind of transaction. What does it tell you when they act you to commit fraud by misrepresenting yourself? Enough said.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 8/29/13 8:03pm
Msg #482563

It's illegal in Florida...you can't put yourself out as

a paralegal unless you're working for/with an attorney -

Reply by Darlin_AL on 8/29/13 8:10pm
Msg #482566

Finally got them to quit calling me for this...cr__.

Because that is what "debt settlement" is to me. Knowing what I know about it, I cannot in good conscience be involved at any price, much less the mis-representing they want the notary to do.

Reply by Lee/AR on 8/29/13 8:45pm
Msg #482574

Got that one, too and did a bit of research

Much to my surprise, being a 'paralegal' is much like being a Notary Signing Agent. Yes, there are certification tests you can take to make it look better (like being XYZ or somebody 'certified'), but few states really require anything. Note, please, that this was just a very brief search...so don't start yelling at me, but if you know your state does do something official--post it and educate us all.

I still won't do 'em.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 8/29/13 8:50pm
Msg #482575

Florida Paralegal Program

Definitions in Chapter 20 of the Rules from the FL Bar

"(a) Paralegal. A paralegal is a person with education, training, or work experience, who works under the direction and supervision of a member of The Florida Bar and who performs specifically delegated substantive legal work for which a member of The Florida Bar is responsible. "

http://www.floridabar.org/TFB/TFBLawReg.nsf/9DAD7BBDA218AFE885257002004833C5/BB20210B9C5186F385257187006468C7#Rules%20Regulating%20The%20Florida%20Bar

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 8/29/13 8:58pm
Msg #482577

More directly to the question...in FAQ's

from FL Bar Assn

Q: I am an independent paralegal. I provide services to attorneys and to the public. May I register as a Florida Registered Paralegal?

A: No, you may not register as a Florida Registered Paralegal. In addition, you may not use the title paralegal in providing services directly to the public. Doing so constitutes the unlicensed practice of law.

Reply by MW/VA on 8/29/13 9:18pm
Msg #482580

Hence, where the name comes from" para-legal", meaning

associated with--correct? It's always been my understanding that paralegals work for attorneys.

Reply by mtnotary on 8/29/13 9:47pm
Msg #482583

I am a Certified Paralegal

and I am not allowed to practice law. So just because you are a Paralegal does not give you the legal authority to make it seem as if you are a lawyer. It seems to me as if that company is acting a bit shady.

Reply by BobbiCT on 8/30/13 7:17am
Msg #482608

Like calling yourself a "notario" ...

Anyone can give him/herself the title of paralegal.

It is when you are sued for false misrepresentation, you had better have the resume and state requirements to back up your claim.

Just a personal opinon from a National Federation of Paralegal Associations Registered Paralegal (aka RP), which requires proof of continuing legal education.

Reply by HisHughness on 8/30/13 9:17am
Msg #482614

Re: Like calling yourself a "notario" ...

Not like that at all.

In Texas, it is illegal to identify yourself as a "notario publico" if you are a notary public. A "notario publico" in Mexico is far different from the notary public in the United States. A Mexican notario publico performs many functions that are reserved for attorneys in this country.

Reply by NVLSlady/VA on 8/30/13 9:31am
Msg #482615

Re: Like calling yourself a "notario" ...

believe that was precisely what she was trying to get across . . . unless I'm mistaken Smile

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.