Notary Rotary
Sometimes you have to keep saying "NO"
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to August, 2013 Index

Posted by Yowheelz on 8/22/13 9:28am
Msg #481523

Call 1: Have a reverse mortgage in DE are you available. Explained to SS that DE is an Attorney State and they would need to find an attorney to do the closing.

Call 2: Spoke to my office manager and she said it was ok to do a reverse mortgage in DE. Ummm, no. Explained that a Notary can not do purchase, 1st refi or 2nd refi in DE.

Call 3: You did the application so we want you to do the closing. Application, no notarization required. You need an attorney for the closing.

Call 4: This is not a refi, it is a reverse mortgage so you can do the closing. As far as I can tell a reverse mortgage is the equivalent of a refi. Not touching this.

Shame on SS. If your going to find notaries for different states you need to know the law.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 8/22/13 9:41am
Msg #481525

Wow...sure wish you'd name the company...

Shouldn't have to keep saying NO - it's "What part of ATTORNEY ONLY STATE don't you get??"

Good grief.

Reply by MW/VA on 8/22/13 10:35am
Msg #481533

OMG! Talk about clueless! n/m

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 8/22/13 11:02am
Msg #481536

I especially love this one..

"Spoke to my office manager and she said it was ok to do a reverse mortgage in DE"

Oooohhh...well then.....that makes everything okay!!!

Yeesh

Reply by Malbrough_LA on 8/22/13 3:05pm
Msg #481566

I'd have taken her for her word...

then asked her if I could get that in writing from her or her manager and promptly passed it along to the SoS and Bar Association. I'm beyond playing games with some of these people.

Reply by BoomerSooner on 8/22/13 3:06pm
Msg #481568

How did you find out your state is attorney only for purchas

is DE an attorney for all transactions to include refinance?

Reply by Yowheelz on 8/22/13 7:22pm
Msg #481596

Re: How did you find out your state is attorney only for purchas

Called SOS and Bar Assoc. after we started getting calls. Wanted to make sure we were correct. I can do modifications but not purchase, 1st refi or 2nd refi. Have done several DE properties here in MD but always with an attorney on the phone.
Are you trying to find out if your state is an Attorney Only State?

Reply by BoomerSooner on 8/23/13 7:56am
Msg #481630

I know Oklahoma isnt, but i live next to the Texas boarder and get calls to go to texas often, thought about looking into Texas NSA certification.

So were they asking you to go to DE or were you going to do it in your state for a DE property?

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 8/23/13 8:06am
Msg #481631

From the Texas SOS website:

1.Who is eligible to become a notary public?

To be commissioned as a notary public in Texas, you must be a Texas resident at least 18 years of age who has not received a final conviction for a crime involving moral turpitude or a felony

So, as a resident of Oklahoma you wouldn't be eligible to be a notary in Texas as well.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.