Notary Rotary
Square verus Intuit
Notary Discussion History

Square verus Intuit
Go Back to August, 2013 Index

Posted by Joan Bergstrom on 8/6/13 3:13pm
Msg #479406

Square verus Intuit

I have finally given up on Square (no matter how many times I swipe a credit card it doesn't go through).

I just signed up with Intuit but haven't gotten the product in the mail. Which one is cheaper?
Do you have to pay the $12.95 monthly fee to get the 1.75% rate? It wasn't clear to me on their website.

Reply by ikando on 8/6/13 5:21pm
Msg #479419

Joan, I'm sorry you're having issues with the Square. I love mine. One thing I discovered after I changed phones was that the scanner wasn't sitting all the way into the earphone jack. After I figured out that I needed to seat it really well, I have had no more issues. Perhaps that will work for you, too.

As far as fees, I went with Square because it did not require a monthly fee. I don't remember if PayPal does or not, but I'm frustrated with PP, so choose not to use them.

Good luck.

Reply by LKT/CA on 8/6/13 5:25pm
Msg #479421

Agree with ikando

Same here.....I have to completely remove my phone cover or the Inuit card reader doesn't sit in the earphone jack. I do believe that the 1.75% swipe fee is only for those who pay a $12.95 monthly fee. I don't pay a monthly fee.

Reply by Gregory/CA on 8/6/13 5:32pm
Msg #479423

I use Square as well and started having some difficulty with the card reading not reading the card. I try it a couple of time and it will usually go through okay. If not, I just manually enter the card information directly into the application. If it continues to not read, then I will probably contact Square and see if I can get a replacement.

Joan, I am not sure if you read the Important Disclosures. In part it states, "Card-swiped rate applies to qualified swiped Visa/MC/Discover network transactions and requires the GoPayment card reader. Most rewards, corporate and special card types are considered non-qualified transactions and merchant will be charged the non-qualified rate." I believe the Rate is 3.75%.

I didn't like the Intuit Web site because it was vague on the pricing, IMO.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 8/6/13 6:34pm
Msg #479439

Thanks for the info from the "Important Disclosures". I didn't remember that.

I also use the Square and it's been working fine for me, as long as I make sure it's pushed in all the way. But I don't have a cover on my SIII. I have the Zagg Invisibleshield (front and back) and don't really miss having a cover. Makes it real easy for people to sign with their finger on the screen.

Reply by jba/fl on 8/6/13 5:46pm
Msg #479424

I got the Intuit as I also have the Square and it seems to take 2 swipes before it works. The Intuit doesn't work on my phone - Galaxy SIII - the pin appears to be too small. I have told them and they just ask why I am not giving my info for where to deposit the money. So, I will stick with the Square - they at least answer me.

Neither requires a monthly fee; unless you are going to be high volume you will not need it either. Pay the extra 1% for random usage (under $1200 per mo.)

Reply by MistarellaFL on 8/6/13 6:36pm
Msg #479440

Be sure you have the updated software installed

This week, mine quit swipin'. Tossed the swiper, got another...same thing.
Turns out I don't have enough memory on my phone to download the update.

Reply by Joan Bergstrom on 8/6/13 8:25pm
Msg #479470

Thanks for the help.

I have the OTTER surrounding my IPhone and I thought that was the problem but I tried
it with my I Pad and it doesn't have a cover and Square still won't work.

I think I probably stick with Square after all and ask them to send me a new reader. I've gotten really fast at punching in the numbers by hand. LOL!

I haven't had any trouble with Square putting the money in my account.
I'll give Intuit a chance when they send the reader but I agree with Gregory that Intuit's website is very vague on charges.
Thanks again.

Reply by LKT/CA on 8/6/13 11:02pm
Msg #479480

Re: n/m

Reply by LKT/CA on 8/6/13 11:11pm
Msg #479481

I have a Galaxy SIII & I use Intuit

The volume on the phone has to be turned up all the way and the phone needs to be mostly charged, not low on juice.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.