Notary Rotary
Straight talk data
Notary Discussion History

Straight talk data
Go Back to August, 2013 Index

Posted by aanotary on 8/1/13 3:31pm
Msg #478893

Straight talk data

I read reviews of the phone service here. I am interested in info. On the data. Is it really unlimited? Any problems with the speed? I read other reviews saying that after a certain amount of usage. Straight talk throttles the data speed? Any info is appreciated. I am thinking of switching - and are you still happy with the phone service? Thank you

Reply by rolomia on 8/1/13 4:10pm
Msg #478904

Most veteran NSA's won't respond to this post b/c...

..it has already been addressed in other thread-posts on this forum. Have you utilized the search feature? Most of us are way too busy to rehash old discussions. But, I do have a few mins. now.

So, I will illuminate: StraightTalk is an MVNO, meaning that they neither provide their own cell phone service nor data (Internet). Thus, you must be near one of the towers that services your phone. The primary carrier who services your phone will be determined by it's model number.

Either Verizon (best), AT&T (better), Sprint (worse) and T-Mobile (horrible). Sometimes, you'll catch a lucky break in that the Tier-Two carriers will surprise you; but, not often.

Also, though StraightTalk's website and phone agents claim otherwise, I believe that they DO throttle download/upload speeds as my own experience and that of others I've spoken to have proven such limits. The choice is entirely yours. All the research in the world might mean nothing if your experiences vary, and they will.

I could say that I get the best result in the world. But, you may find that your own experience doesn't match my own or others. I'd recommend talking to local ST users in your immediate area. Their experiences will reveal the real-world results for your area.

Many factors will determine your individual results: time of day (is the bandwidth there or are too many users bogging down the data-stream?), who's your main carrier (Verizon, AT&T, Sprint or T-Mobile), how close you are to the nearest tower, the type of phone you have (it's technology), the overall condition of your phone, etc.

What most ST customers do not know is that MVNO users aren't granted access to post-paid-only towers. And, the towers which service both post-paid (contract) and prepaid (non-contract) phones use technology that prevents prepaid phones from accessing the post-paid portions of said tower's. Post-paid towers will only allow service for 911 calls from prepaid phones, but only if the prepaid portion of said tower isn't working.

Even everything I've listed is only about 20% of what does or will affect your unique experience/result. Good luck. And, try the search feature, next time. Thanks! JMHO

Reply by Stephanie Santiago on 8/1/13 4:22pm
Msg #478914

While I am a longtime NSA, I don't mind helping a "newbie" n/m

Reply by John Tennant on 8/1/13 5:05pm
Msg #478930

Re: I am a 6 yr NSA

and do not mind helping anyone on here. They all have, and continue, to help me.

Reply by Stephanie Santiago on 8/1/13 5:41pm
Msg #478945

I agree, John - 13 years here... n/m

Reply by aanotary on 8/1/13 5:16pm
Msg #478934

This is why I never post here

Wow! I've been doing this full time for 8 yrs. I used the orange search button. Plenty of Info on phone . Didn't see anything about data which is what I asked about? I have heard they slow you down after certain usage. I was looking for feedback to see if that was true. Now I remember why I never post. To many angry , snarky responders !

Reply by 101livescan on 8/1/13 5:42pm
Msg #478946

Re: This is why I never post here

We're not all like that...give us another opportunity to prove there are some really nice, knowledgeable, professional members on this forum.

Reply by rolomia on 8/1/13 6:02pm
Msg #478950

Re: This is why I never post here

I answered your inquiry in my first post to this thread. Have you read it?

Reply by JanetK_CA on 8/1/13 7:28pm
Msg #478967

It's all in how you read it, imo

And by that, I mean both responders and posters. The first response to the OP may have gotten a bit off track and not directly addressed the issue requested, but it was an information-filled post that probably took some time. As for the comments about using the search button, well, that poster who (until recently) hasn't posted much that I recall, may not realize that you've been around this board for a good while. I didn't read anything in this thread that I would categorize as angry or snarky. Sometimes things come across differently than intended once written down.

I suspect that with business slowing down, many around this cybernetic "water cooler" may be a bit sensitive and testy - and this isn't directed at anyone in particular. I just suggest that we might want to try to not assume the worst about each other. Also, it wouldn't hurt to try to take a little extra care to not unintentionally come across as "angry and snarky". And if it's intentional, well, tsk, tsk... Wink

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.