Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Title Producer License required for Washington DC?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to August, 2013 Index

Posted by BossLadyMD on 8/12/13 2:20pm
Msg #480187

I'm doing some research and read that its not required for a notary but that someone with a title producer license must be present. So how is a notary without a TPL getting wotk??! Or did I read this wrong?

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 8/12/13 2:28pm
Msg #480189

I remember reading somewhere some time ago that

a TPL is required for DC - not for Maryland proper but DC only. Can't recall where I read it.

And how is one without it getting work? Easy - companies call and they accept. Just like in GA, SC, MA and all the other attorney-only states. Some companies and people just don't pay attention and/or don't care.

Reply by anotaryinva on 8/12/13 3:01pm
Msg #480200

Re: I remember reading somewhere some time ago that

Maryland a TPL is required. DC changed last year, first time I read it is was being required than like Bosslady I read something somewhere that one 'needed to be present' (can't remember where I read it). Navigating DC's website isn't the easiest.

Reply by Marv/CA on 8/12/13 3:39pm
Msg #480203

TPL's paid more?

Reply by anotaryinva on 8/12/13 4:36pm
Msg #480210

From what I've seen, no, or very little more. Here is Va it is not required if we don't handle funds. I've seen fees listed on other websites by a notary who has a TPL and her fees are less than mine (without it)

I looked at the DC.gov site couldn't find what I was looking for but this is from the NNA..sorry only thing I could find.

Washington, D.C. - A licensed title insurance producer or a title attorney must be present at a closing appointment. While D.C. Notary Signing Agents are not technically required to hold a title insurance producer license, NSAs who seek to perform loan signings without a title insurance producer or title attorney present must be licensed as a title insurance producer.

Reply by rolomia on 8/12/13 5:25pm
Msg #480216

That makes sense for our nation's capitol. I'm glad that laws are stricter, there. Of course, tough laws don't always result in low fraud or crime, as evidenced by the fact that Washington, DC has had some of the highest fraud/crime rates in the nation, at one time or another.

If newbies who accept low fees aren't able to afford the cost of Title Producer licensing, then TC's/SS's will only have the option of paying higher fees to NSA's who do possess a TPL and low-ball fees will disappear. That's my vain hope, anyway. Still, if more states follow the above example, it may work in our favor. I, for one, welcome it. JMHO

Reply by HrdwrkrVA on 8/12/13 8:32pm
Msg #480237

I have a TPL for VA, MD & DC. You pretty much eat the $2500+

Plus another $2000 to renew That's why I refuse to ;ower my fees.

The TPL DOES NOT prevent fraud - it's to try to keep the NSA's out of work - more for the lawyers! My signing method has not changed one bit. That's why I try to stick w/ TCs. The TPL is like severing a major artery IMO.

Reply by Eve/VA on 9/7/13 6:19am
Msg #483577

Re: I have a TPL for VA, MD & DC. You pretty much eat the $2500+

Whoa. The $2500 were licensing fees for all three jurisdictions?

I live two miles from MD and DC but can't get a notary commission there because I'm required to live or work in those areas. So not sure how someone can be a NSA in all three areas. Is it through affiliation with TCs?

I received a phone call from TC wanting to use me but is only hiring TPLs period. I'm checking into it and there's a bunch of info out there but I'd appreciate any info from VA TPL holders.

VA requires a minimum of 16 classroom hours before the state exam. I know Cape offers it but online only.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.