Notary Rotary
Title Source - required background check through NNA
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to August, 2013 Index

Posted by Leslie_Mo on 8/28/13 10:05am
Msg #482336

Did anyone else get this letter from Title Source?

"We’re in need of an updated background check from you from either NNA or Lexis Nexis to continue working together. If you don’t have either, we advise you to take the NNA because at the beginning of next year, that is the only one we will be accepting, as will the five major lenders. We won’t be able to send you any more signings until we receive your up-to-date BC.

You can get the NNA here. Click on “Become an NSA,” and you can select either option, however, we only require the certification exam and background check for $99. Upon completion of the background check, you can email or fax verification to me in the form of a screenshot or your status or certificate of completion. Thanks!"

Reply by ME/NJ on 8/28/13 10:11am
Msg #482339

Went through Lexis cost $50 and report is sent to them. For me it was well worth the cost because of the volume of work I do each month.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 8/28/13 10:16am
Msg #482340

I got it..and I was surprised I did since I just

reactivated my business late last year, got the NNA BGC in November and sent it to them. They already have it on file - apparently it's a mass e-mail and they're not checking individual vendor records or they'd have seen they already have mine on file.

As much as I love NotRot and support them every chance I can there's no getting around the fact that companies will not accept the BGC done here and the NNA, unfortunately and for whatever reason, is the most widely recognized and accepted standard - IF you want to work. (and yes, I DO have a NotRot BGC that has been rejected by companies)

JMO

Reply by MW/VA on 8/28/13 10:16am
Msg #482341

This one really bugs me--that NNA has convinced these cos.

to support their agenda. They have you though, if you want to continue to work for them.
The only bgc I have is through NR. I went through all that with NNA a few years ago. Funny story, really, because LN was named in a class action suit, and I got an award of $1,000 because they had reported incorrect info that I wasn't able to correct. They were named for having violated the Fair Credit Reporting Act. Pretty funny, really.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 8/28/13 10:22am
Msg #482342

I agree Marilynn - I also noted on my report that

there's a name on there I've NEVER been known by - Linda K. Hubbell - NEVER NEVER NEVER...not even close - middle initial is "J" - there goes the data input entries. Also, a P.O. Box address in Connecticut that I've NEVER had.

Also, I posted previously, review that NNA one - I just discovered that my social security number and DL numbers were all over the place - I printed it out, blacked out the PII and now when I send it to companies it's titled "NNA BGC Redacted".

Reply by Leslie_Mo on 8/28/13 10:46am
Msg #482347

Re: This one really bugs me--that NNA has convinced these cos.

My current bgc is through Notary Rotary and doesn't expire until 10/14. I really hate to get a 2nd bgc while this is still valid and especially having to get one through NNA. However, I want to keep working with Title Source and I guess they don't leave any alternative after the first of the year.

Reply by MW/VA on 8/28/13 11:05am
Msg #482351

I don't work for TS, but can't remember when the last time

any co. asked me for a bgc. I do it voluntarily & part of running a biz that's on the up & up.

Reply by BobbiCT on 8/28/13 10:32am
Msg #482343

NNA supports sharing of SSN and DL #

I, too, dislike the fact that the NNA through its background check supports sharing my SSN and DL numbers to all and sundry with its background check. WHO KNOWS at these signing services what is being done to safeguard this information and who has access. I hope none of the title company employees being laid off ... or signing services closing their doors and either selling files or dropping them in the outside trash bin.

Companies don't like redacted information on a background check.

I am surprised with all its privacy seminars and training that the NNA approves and supports Lexis Nexis doing this. Connecticut has strict laws on SSN data collection and storage. In MA you violate state law if you include this information in an e-mail or via any electronic means.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 8/28/13 3:24pm
Msg #482384

Re: NNA supports sharing of SSN and DL #

"I am surprised with all its privacy seminars and training that the NNA approves and supports Lexis Nexis doing this."

I couldn't agree more. How contradictory to expect a document from us, presumably to protect the security of borrowers, all while potentially putting our security at risk. Are they forgetting what the very nature and purpose of a background check is all about? I wonder if, while they're convincing all these companies that the NNA should be the only source for a notary BGC, they are also convincing these companies that all their employees who will ever have access to our personal information should also have a BGC. Inquiring minds want to know...

Sounds to me like more confirmation that this is more about coercing people to do business with them - all while they've taken their eye off the ball about the issue of confidentiality. If any of you have ever had any doubts about who they truly represent, this should clarify it for you. (Just my personal opinion...)

Reply by JanetK_CA on 8/28/13 3:29pm
Msg #482385

I just read Belinda's post below, so I take it back... ;>) n/m

Reply by NVLSlady/VA on 8/28/13 11:42am
Msg #482357

Procrastination is my name . . . I did get the 2nd email reminder from them to complete the "assigned training" to "avoid suspension of service" . . .

But my bgc (Lexis) was just done a few months ago and I have no plans to do another until 2015 (or earliest end of 2014)

Reply by Lee/AR on 8/28/13 12:13pm
Msg #482364

Are they worth it? The 'training'; only 1 BGC accepted; and

the constant downward pressure on our fees... and the real idiocy of their probable waiving of these stips for 'anyone' procured thru a signing service.

Reply by CopperheadVA on 8/28/13 1:05pm
Msg #482370

I didn't get that email yet, but I may get it in the second or third wave they send out. I received the request for mandatory training. I did that - it was an easy test and took only a couple of minutes. I used to do a lot for TS but since Jan 2013 they farm out my area to SS who hire any notary with a pulse so I am not thinking that I will shell out extra $$ to comply with their BGC requirement, since they never call me directly anyway!

Reply by Lee/AR on 8/28/13 1:47pm
Msg #482373

Another good reason to ask 'are they worth it'. n/m

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 8/28/13 1:55pm
Msg #482375

Honestly? Yeah..when they call they ARE worth it

I just wish they'd call direct more often - I won't work for the SS's they're using.

I have the NNA BGC because other companies require it too. All good companies who pay.

Reply by notary4az2 on 8/28/13 2:14pm
Msg #482376

Re: Honestly? Yeah..when they call they ARE worth it

Yes they are worth it! I have always had the NNA background check and it is widely accepted in the industry. Title Source sends me a lot of business direct and they pay within two weeks after the closing. They only complaint I have is they will not pay for faxbacks.

Reply by Belinda/CA on 8/28/13 2:28pm
Msg #482378

I checked with NNA about them sharing SSN, etc.

Their response to me today is as follows.

"Hello Belinda,
The background screening information is ONLY provide to you, the NNA doesn’t have access to your information either. If a company asks for copy of your screening, you would need to provide that to them."

When I am asked for the screening I only send the blue edged certificate the NNA provides me that shows I am background screened by them. This has satisfied everyone. I have never ever been asked for an actual report. If someone did request it I would black out private info.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 8/28/13 3:08pm
Msg #482383

Thanks Belinda...that's exactly what I did

Alongside every entry stating "Driver's License" is blakced out as is every entry alongside "Social Security Number".

As for sending the certificate - I never gave that a thought - I always assumed, possibly incorrectly, that when they ask for the background check they want the report, not just a certificate.

JMO

Reply by JanetK_CA on 8/28/13 3:30pm
Msg #482386

Thanks, Belinda. This makes more sense. n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.