Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Total Exasperation Runneth Over In My Cup !!!!
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to August, 2013 Index

Posted by DebraOro/CA on 8/10/13 3:08pm
Msg #479991

I bought the DUMB Brother 1680 tw-whatever last November. I have had Two 45 minute conversations with Brother Tech helpers, and today just paid the neighborhood Computer Guru to come out and try to set up the Dual Trays for printing docs. Even he is convinced it can't be done automatically. I have invested so much money in this Mobile Notary Business with purchasing DBA, $100,000.00 Bond, Brother Printer, New Dell Laptop, New PC for the Den, Smart phones, Wireless Router, etc... And I have never been able to successfully print out a set of Loan Docs at the size they are supposed to be. I have been messing around with this since November!
I became unemployed in March, found a 3 week job in June. Am now unemployed again, and have run out of friends at escrow offices that are willing to print for me.
Bleh.......................................
Thanks for letting me vent, if anyone can give me step by step directions on how to set the blankety blank up I would appreciate any input you can provide.
BTW the printer prints fabulously if you only want standard.

Reply by Yoli/CA on 8/10/13 3:38pm
Msg #479992

Take a deep breath and exhale slowly, Debra.

I know it can be frustrating. Been there. Done that.

Trying to help you on this and tried googling. Unable to find anything on Brother 1680 printer. There seems to be a toner with that numbering. Please look at your printer and get the exact model (i.e. MFC-8890DW or HL-5370DW). You can PM me if you wish or post here. When I have some info, hopefully soon, I can call you. But, need to access some info on your printer first.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 8/10/13 4:02pm
Msg #479994

Re: Take a deep breath and exhale slowly, Debra.

There's an HP 1680 printer

Reply by jba/fl on 8/10/13 4:25pm
Msg #479995

There's a Brother 6180 - and since she already said Brother,......

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 8/10/13 5:36pm
Msg #480003

Ah, thanks Jules, she must have got the numbers mixed up

Reply by CaNotary777 on 8/10/13 4:52pm
Msg #479999

Yoli which dual tray laser printer model is considered a highly dependable workhorse among the Brother laser printers?

Reply by Yoli/CA on 8/10/13 6:17pm
Msg #480005

CaNotary777 ~

I'm certainly not a printer expert. I can only go by my experiences. And, I certainly can't/won't make a recommendation.

You have to decide what your needs are. Do you want and MFC or will a single-function work for you? What's your budget for a printer? Do you want wireless capability? Do you want color or will black and white suffice? Once you know what you want and can afford, go to the Brother website, choose 2 or 3 models and look up the reviews. Going by all the reviews, decide on one model and START SHOPPING!

This is what I did last year when I had to replace my dual tray Brother MFC 8220 after 6 years of loyal service. First, I bought the MFC-8890DWT and then the HL-5370DWT. Love my Brother printers and they've worked great for me!

============================

To Deborah, the OP: If what you have is an HP, sorry. Not familiar enough with HP to try to help you.

Reply by CaNotary777 on 8/11/13 3:11am
Msg #480052

Thank you Yoli :)

You shared valuable info about Brother laser printers. I am off to brother website!

Reply by Yoli/CA on 8/11/13 4:41pm
Msg #480101

Welcome! :) n/m

Reply by Laurily on 8/11/13 7:52pm
Msg #480132

Get rid of Brother-junk- slow print and overpriced toner n/m

Reply by LKT/CA on 8/10/13 4:47pm
Msg #479998

I have a single tray laser printer

I print in all legal....many of the TC instructions require I print in all legal. Even if they don't, I print in all legal. Have never had a problem because of it. The TC can then use a paper cutter to cut down the ones they want letter size. When my multi-function single tray machine wears out, I will order a dual try one. In the meantime, I just print in all legal.

Just print in all legal and work on trying to get it to work as a dual tray. I'd find a teenager in your neighborhood and pay him/her to help you. Even the middle school kids these days know their stuff when it comes to computers. Toddlers in strollers can work a smart phone.

One day when I was in Target in the CD aisle, a lady started asking me questions about the differences in the blank CDs. I had no clue and told her to snag a young person. Sure enough, a college age looking man was walking by and I snagged him....he answered ever question that lady had as if she were asking him what 2 + 2 was. I smiled at her and said, "See !!!" We both had a good giggle.

Reply by ananotary on 8/10/13 10:13pm
Msg #480039

LKT/CA- Wouldn't the money you save on paper pay

for the dual tray printer? The difference between letter and legal cases of paper is large enough that I never even considered not operating this business without it. I also know that escrow officers do not LOVE to have to cut down docs when they should have been printed correctly in the first place.

Reply by LKT/CA on 8/10/13 10:23pm
Msg #480041

Re: LKT/CA- Wouldn't the money you save on paper pay

I agree with you. I got commissioned primarily to do GNW. Loan signings are just icing on the cake. When I was first commissioned, I took a loan signing class and learned that I needed to have a laser printer to do loan signings - but nothing was said about dual trays. The printer I owned at the time was an inkjet. I didn't know anything about laser printers or dual trays. I rarely do loan signings these days and do a lot of GNW. My current laser printers are still going strong, probably because they're hardly used.

Reply by Stoli on 8/10/13 5:24pm
Msg #480001

Use Page Separator offered by Notary Rotary. n/m

Reply by sigtogo/OR on 8/10/13 5:48pm
Msg #480004

DEBRA-I have 6180DWT is that what you meant? step by step!

1. you can search here-type in "6180" and get some good suggestions.
2. secondly, you likely need to uninstall and unplug everything and start fresh. Not to worry though as this is not that difficult or time consuming to do.
3. insert your CD and follow step in order, exactly as described. I stress methodically follow the steps.
4 you must install the 2nd tray in printer properties accessories but once installed it will work as it should.

for additional help, I found the Brother support people to be useless BUT their website has all kinds of useful info. search your model and view FAQ.

hope this helps

Reply by jnew on 8/10/13 7:55pm
Msg #480011

Most Brothers have the same setup for dual tray.

Try this sequence and see if it works. This is the sequence for Brother 5370 DWN.

Install most current driver Driver will have your model number followed by the word “series”.

Access the accessories panel for your printer. { Start button->Devices and Printers->(left click icon for your printer)->Customize your printer>Accessories}

On left side click the Auto Detect button. The serial number for your printer will appear in box. (if not, find the serial number for your model and enter it manually)

On the right side at top. See which options have been installed on right and see what options are available at left. If tray two is not installed on the right side, highlight tray 2 on the left side and press add.

Setup each section on the right as follows:
Highlight Tray source and define Paper size from list, save by clicking Update
Paper Source Setting
Tray 1 Letter
Tray 2 Legal
MP Tray undefined
Paper Size Letter
Default Source Auto Select

Click the Apply button at bottom and then click OK

Reply by CarolF/NC on 8/11/13 10:16am
Msg #480064

That is exactly how it's done. Hope she checks back here n/m

Reply by Clem/CA on 8/10/13 6:24pm
Msg #480006

Dip it a tub full of water until the bubbles stop, then plug it in. problem solved with the printer! get something eles

Reply by Scriba/NM on 8/10/13 7:37pm
Msg #480009

Sounds Like You're Trying To Do It Right.....But....

You're going at it properly, but I notice a lot of people insist on purchasing these Brother printers because they're cheap (in more ways than one). As far as I am concerned, they make a wonderful doorstop. Not too hot on the Dell laptop either, but they work......sorta.

However, years ago I found that there are lots and lots of refurbished HP printers available for around $400 or so. The last two I purchased two years ago are still cranking out case after case of paper. They are easy to replace parts in and I purchase reloaded toner cartridges for around $55 each for about 12,000+ good copies (from reliable dealers that will replace defective ones - because you will get one once in a while). Brother service is useless (I call it non-existent for all means and purposes).

I have a local HP dealer and he gives me great tips and help over the phone should I encounter anything weird (which is about 5% of the stuff I get from title companies - like stupid scanning for one).

Just my take on the printer situation.

Reply by CarolF/NC on 8/10/13 7:56pm
Msg #480012

I also have a 6180DWT

and should be able to help you. It is in the printer set up. It's not obvious. PM me and I will call you. And I agree brother help is useless but I found the how to set it up in the online manual.

Reply by DebraOro/CA on 8/11/13 5:44pm
Msg #480107

Thanks so much everybody!!!!!

Yes, it is the 6180 DWT. I will take all of your posts, and see if I can manage it. My husband has been dragging me out of the house since I put up the original post yesterday. He says I needed the change of environment so as to change my attitude!!!
Imagine that, just a little frustration and he is at the ready and able to help me with my attitude. Can he help w/printer....No.
Thanks to everyone that responded...I am off to see if I can make this puppy work.
Debra

Reply by SharonMN on 8/12/13 11:08am
Msg #480169

Re: I also have a 6180DWT

You need to choose which paper size is in each tray using the buttons on the **printer itself** in addition to some stuff on your computer. I was stumped on this for a while, too.

Reply by Darlin_AL on 8/14/13 10:03am
Msg #480437

Re: I also have a 6180DWT

the phone help guy had me delete printer, reinstall as detailed above, do setting for each tray both on the printer screen & on the driver software page, as described. Don't forget to restart your puter after you think you've finished to update that driver & settings!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.