Two Easy Ways to Make Your PC Work Faster
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to August, 2013 Index

Posted by 101livescan on 8/6/13 12:02pm
Msg #479383

Found this great website this morning, HOW LIFE WORKS

http://www.howlifeworks.com/Article.aspx?Cat_URL=technology&AG_URL=faster_pc_v2&ag_id=333&wid=7363E87A-E27A-4833-AAFE-7D30EB8FEDC3&did=2759&cid=1005&si_id=2325&pubs_source=ca_test_hlw&pubs_campaign=20130806-333

Reply by JPH13/MO on 8/6/13 12:35pm
Msg #479385

Holy X&)!. I installed it and it is still scanning and already found 765 errors. Is this for real? Did you buy it and use it? Obviously having it remove the first 50 for free wouldn't help that much if this is legit.

Reply by JPH13/MO on 8/6/13 12:46pm
Msg #479386

Yikes! Read this and you may want to stay away from this!

I wish I hadn't downloaded after reading these reviews:

http://download.cnet.com/ARO-2013/3640-2086_4-10183947-1.html

Reply by sueharke on 8/6/13 1:48pm
Msg #479400

Re: Yikes! Read this and you may want to stay away from this!

I make it a policy to not install any of this type of software until I have fully:

1. Virus/spyware/malware checked my computer.
2. Defraged all HD's.
3. Completed a complete backup to an external USB drive in case I need to restore my HD. I do not trust the Restore function of windows to fix problems with Sector 00 (or it is 01) as it may be damaged by this type of software.
4. Backed-up files I need from my data HD.

For anyone interested I use Acronis backup software to achieve this goal.

Reply by rengel/CA on 8/6/13 12:54pm
Msg #479388

This is nothing more than an advertising site...

If you look at the "recommended articles", there is one telling you to stop buying shampoo and buy WEN instead.

I wouldn't touch any of this with a ten-foot pole!

My .02

Reply by 101livescan on 8/6/13 12:56pm
Msg #479389

Re: This is nothing more than an advertising site...

WOW...I had not seen these reviews. Thank you so much...Sorry everyone, this is a bum lead.

Reply by anotaryinva on 8/6/13 1:00pm
Msg #479391

I'm no expert but

I use and have been happy with ccleaner, it has a place to click on to fix registry issues. It's free.

http://download.cnet.com/CCleaner/

Reply by Moneyman/TX on 8/6/13 1:18pm
Msg #479393

That is also a good program to use

I have it downloaded on my external backup drive. I used to used it as well.

I have multiple programs installed, but I only have one or sometimes two open, or running in the background, at any given time. Sometimes having multiple programs that preform the same task running at the same time may actually freeze up your computer and render each of the programs of little value, until one of them is closed out.

A few years ago I had a virus that kept slipping thru different detection programs, so I installed several programs and thru running multiple programs I was able to trap the virus and clean out my system.

As a, "just in case I have to do it again," is the reason I still keep redundant programs up to date and installed (but dormant).

Reply by ikando on 8/6/13 5:31pm
Msg #479422

Re: I'm no expert but

I regularly use ccleaner, too.

Reply by Moneyman/TX on 8/6/13 1:20pm
Msg #479394

The advice is good, the "Deal of the Day" may not be. :) n/m

Reply by Moneyman/TX on 8/6/13 12:59pm
Msg #479390

I halfway expected to see something like
1) Go to the computer store
2) Buy a New One
Smile

I can attest to the fact that the suggestions (run a registry cleaner & run spyware/antivirus programs) on a regular basis will definitely do wonders for speeding up a computer.

I use System Mechanics Pro v.11 (paid version).
I believe that CNET may also have a trial version for free available
(There are 2 versions of this program - 1) System Mechanics & 2) System Mechanics Pro )

I also use SpyBot (free download from CNET) I run it about once every other week or so. Just be sure to update and "immunize" each time prior to running. They update quite often. I only use sites within the US to download the updates, just my preference.

I run PC Tools Registry Mechanic every day or two.

System Mechanics Pro - has all the tools within it and by itself it works really well. I run the others because every so often, they will catch something that may have slipped by Sys Mech Pro

If interested, Here is a link for 50% off System Mechanics Pro (new price should be $39.95 after discount) - The company always sends me coupon codes to renew/update yearly @ $19.95.
http://tinyurl.com/mlrsyv6
If this link doesn't work, preform a search for "System Mechanics Pro coupon codes". It should yield a few sites with various coupon codes. I would check at least 2 of them before using to make sure you get the best deal.

Sys Mechanics (is either $19.95 or $29.95, after applying discounts)

One last suggestion for anyone using System Mechanics --
A few months ago I realized that my internet was consistently running slower and sticking even though I faithfully ran the registry cleaner & run spyware/antivirus programs on a set schedule. I then discovered the ** "Clean Out PC File Clutter" ** in my latest updated version. One good cleaning and Firefox ran just as fast as the day I installed it.

Now, EACH time I close my internet browser for the day, I run the "Clean Out PC File Clutter" program.
>Individual Tools > Clean Up System Clutter > Clean Out PC File Clutter

Disclaimer: I do not earn any money off any Sys Mech sales ... I just find the program is well worth the price for me. Wink

Reply by Moneyman/TX on 8/6/13 1:11pm
Msg #479392

Clarification ... (for my sake) :-)

When I said:
"I can attest to the fact that the suggestions (run a registry cleaner & run spyware/antivirus programs) on a regular basis will definitely do wonders for speeding up a computer. "

To be clear, I use different software than the OP linked site, but as a general rule, the advice IS sound. You just have to find the software that works best for you.

I began using the 3 programs I mentioned several years ago.

Spybot download is a FULL version and is a free download and free updates.

PC Tools Registry Mechanic -- free download, may be a limited version, or it may be a full version for a limited number of days ( I can't remember at the moment)

I believe that the System Mechanics and/or Pro (?) version on CNET is a 14 day full (or nearly full) version of the program.They may only have the "basic" version as a free download, I am not sure. I have had the Pro series since they first came out with it.

Reply by anotaryinva on 8/6/13 1:48pm
Msg #479401

Moneyman,

I made the mistake of running so many antivirus programs that my computer did freeze a lot, my son was so frustrated. He'd delete them and I'd reinstall not knowing what I was doing. He said I had set up so many firewalls it was a wonder it would even turn on. Now my son is out of the house and I've lost my IT department...when you say you have those programs in a dormat stage how can I check to see if mine are active/dormat? I know I got a suggestion to stop a lot of startup programs which I did, is that making them dormat? Thanks for the tips!

Reply by 101livescan on 8/6/13 4:16pm
Msg #479409

Goes to show you what I know about IT issues. For all I know, there are 12 little white mice running around in my laptop keeping things churning and burning.

My two Dell laptops are within two years old. It doesn't take long for technology to advance, and over time our PCs become sluggish, they slow up. I detest all the advertisements I receive. Seems like if you google a subject, like, basket weaving on the floor of the ocean, suddenly every online college is sending you emails to enroll with their institution. Crazy...

Thank you, Moneyman, you've given me so good resources. I'll check them out.

Well, at least I keep you guys on your toes! Good to have your feedback!

Reply by VT_Syrup on 8/7/13 1:07am
Msg #479486

If you're receiving lots of spam related to a topic after you google it, something is drastically wrong. Maybe you're not using the real Google.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.