Notary Rotary
Vantage Point Title Company, Clearwater, FL
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to August, 2013 Index

Posted by tmp on 8/10/13 9:13pm
Msg #480027

Today, I had a 1:00 P.M. appointment for the above company. Made several attempts to contact borrowers, left messages, no return calls. Received documents timely, so I drove to the address provided. It was a corn field in a deserted area. Again, I attempted to contact borrowers, no answer. At that point, I called the title company, and spoke to Millie. She claimed she found a cell number for the borrowers and they were camping in the woods nearby. So, I called the cell number and got voicemail. I waited a 5-10 minutes and no return call. I called Millie back and asked why wasn't this information given to me on the confirmation? She stated that it was and I should have read it. I read the location info to her. She claimed their computers must have cut it off. I told her that I was leaving the area. She became very rude. She stated the docs needed to be signed today! I asked if she could ask the borrowers to meet me at a specified location. She said no, they should not have to leave their location. I said find another notary I'm not waiting around any longer. She stated "I can't find another notary. If you leave, you won't be paid a print or trip fee."

Vantage Point was dishonest about the location when they scheduled the appointment. They knew the borrowers were in the woods camping, but refused to give me that information for fear that I wouldn't accept the closing. I've worked for them before. Yes, they might pay their notaries timely, but if something goes wrong or they mislead you, you are left in the woods on your own, at your own expense!!!

Reply by jba/fl on 8/10/13 9:34pm
Msg #480030

Being an outdoors person, I don't think you could reach me half the time when I'm out camping. Many times I can
not be reached by phone, but texts come through. If you had texted me, telling me to call you and a brief situational comment, I still might not have received it in time.

I can't fathom why anyone would do it this way. If you left them a message and they didn't call back, all bets would have been off for me - I do nothing unconfirmed unless I have in writing that I will be paid full fee regardless. None of this 1/2 price stuff either, especially on the week-ends.

I am so sorry this happened to you. I hope you will change your policy for future signings.

Reply by Yoli/CA on 8/10/13 9:38pm
Msg #480031

They used to call me. Haven't heard from them since Feb. 2013.

The last signing I did for them, payment was due on 1/30/13. When payment was not received timely, I emailed to inquire. They informed me loan had not yet funded -- nothing I did -- due to borrowers dragging their feet on paying off 2nd mortgage. I waited another week and contacted them again. Loan still pending. Informed Vantage my fee was not contingent on loan funding; I had done job I was hired to do. From there on, I emailed them every other day after receiving mail and that check still missing. Finally received check on 2/22/13 -- for full amount even though loan was still pending.

I call it persistence. They probably call it annoyance. Either way, guess they didn't like it. Frown

Reply by walthtz on 8/10/13 9:39pm
Msg #480032

I think your first error was to print the docs w/o getting a confirmation directly from the BR's.
I, for one, will NOT print a single doc w/o getting a confirmation from the BR's, no matter how much the company that hired me wants me to go.
Not worth, my time or fuel expenses to go on a wild goose chase.

Reply by sigtogo/OR on 8/10/13 9:53pm
Msg #480034

I would not accuse them of being dishonest. sure there was

a mess up and lack of communication but saying they were dishonest seems a bit extreme imho. I agree with others that I wouldn't print without confirmation unless they guarantee full fee.
If they had given you better directions to a camp ground would you have gone? I would if I knew the area.
In your case since you were there, perhaps a discussion with Millie about waiting 30 minutes, or whatever you agree upon, would have at least salvaged a no-show fee.

On Monday, when cooler heads prevail perhaps a call to management is in order?

Reply by LKT/CA on 8/10/13 10:16pm
Msg #480040

IMHO, they were dishonest

From the OP: Again, I attempted to contact borrowers, no answer. At that point, I called the title company, and spoke to Millie. She claimed she found a cell number for the borrowers and *** they were camping in the woods nearby. ***

They knew the BOs were camping and not at the address on the confirmation...and...Millie "found a cell number". Why wasn't that cell number included in the confirmation in the first place?? They were dishonest, IMHO. A long time ago, I accepted a signing and when I arrived, it was JAIL....I was notarizing for an inmate. I was ticked off, to say the least because jails have certain requirements that must be known about before you notarize there. The company never told me the man was locked up.

These companies lie/withhold pertinent info. If I were the OP, I'd invoice the company for a print/trip fee.

Reply by jba/fl on 8/10/13 10:23pm
Msg #480042

Re: IMHO, they were dishonest

Then, change your policy: nothing printed, not moving towards the door without either guarantee in writing of full fee agreed upon and/or confirmation from borrower on place I am to go to....not "camp in woods nearby".

I don't need driving practice, printing practice, shredding practice for little or no pay.

Reply by LKT/CA on 8/10/13 10:31pm
Msg #480044

You talkin' to me, jba/fl?

Because I'm not the one complaining...I'm only commenting on the OPs stance that the company was dishonest. I certainly understand those who will not print and walk out their front door if they haven't confirmed with the borrower. Very understandable. However, I personally have no problem leaving voice messages and showing up at the signing appt. Yes, it's risky but in MY experience those borrowers who did not return my call were ready and waiting for me when I arrived. That's MY experience. So if you were talkin' to me, you were talkin' to the wrong person.

Reply by tmp on 8/10/13 10:39pm
Msg #480045

Re: You talkin' to me, jba/fl?

LKT, thanks. I too leave very detailed messages for borrowers and usually they are ready to sign when I arrive. Been in this business a long time and today was a first!

Reply by jba/fl on 8/11/13 5:46pm
Msg #480108

No, Lisa - just misplacement or not paying attn to placement

You should know better anyway - I think I was agreeing with your stance and adding comment....been too long now to remember exactly. This older, golden haze gets in the way at times.

Reply by LKT/CA on 8/11/13 8:36pm
Msg #480142

Okay, my bad, sorry ;-) n/m

Reply by jba/fl on 8/11/13 9:01pm
Msg #480143

No problem. n/m

Reply by Moneyman/TX on 8/11/13 9:49am
Msg #480063

Re: IMHO, they were dishonest

I agree that full fee is due in this case.

Yes, confirmation should have been received prior to printing docs, but that does not negate the fact that very important details were left off the notary confirmation or that Title did not aid in attempting to remedy the situation by contacting the BO's and suggesting a better location.

Setting up a signing in the woods. Who does that? It seems to me that if this was the last day to sign, the signing was not as important to the BO's as Title made it out to be. jmo.

I have had some very good experiences with Vantage Point Title and some not so good ones as well. Overall, they have always resolved the situations I have been involved with in a way that has allowed me to continue to accept work from them.

I don't know that I would say that VPT was "dishonest" in this case so much as they certainly dropped the ball and left off pertinent details in the notary confirmation.

Reply by desktopfull on 8/10/13 11:13pm
Msg #480048

Why did you print or walk out the door without confirming

with borrower? When I can't reach a borrower I'm on the phone getting additional #'s. If I can't confirm I don't print and I certainly don't go anywhere unless title tells me to with guarantee of full fee in writing.

Reply by Scriba/NM on 8/11/13 1:21am
Msg #480051

Why did you print or walk out the door without confirming???

Why would anyone print and waltz out of the door without confirming well in advance? And not even lay out your route and determine mileage and see where you're going? I always check out the route on Google and look at where I am going.

This is just plain dumb. That's what we have to put up with nowadays.

If you don't confirm, and you don't call title BEFORE you leave (or print) because you can't confirm, how in @!#$%!@#$% do you manage to even run a business????? Oh, it doesn't seem you are.

Reply by tmp on 8/11/13 7:42am
Msg #480053

Re: Why did you print or walk out the door without confirming???

Thank you for your feedback. I enjoy the mobile signing business. I've been very successful over the years because I provide professional service. Yesterday's experience was a first for me! The confirmation should have included complete details.

Reply by 101livescan on 8/11/13 8:12am
Msg #480055

Re: Why did you print or walk out the door without confirming???

I don't do a lot of work with Vantage, but never had issues with them in the maybe six times I've performed signings for them over the years.

Recently I had a signing with National Link. Phone number was wrong, never did reach the borrower. Printed and went to the address anyway...no one home, so I left a note. The next day the borrower called me, the loan has been in process with PNC for a year, no one told them it was time. Mr. in PA, Mrs. in SB. When docs go to Mr. B, it is discovered that their son is not on the deed, but he is vested, not on the loan. So back to Docs. I finally signed Mrs. B in SB, and Mr. B was there too, having signed the week before.

IT WAS A LOOOOOONNNNNNGGGGG processing time for the borrower, but hey 3.25 is worth waiting for on a second home loan.

It got paid appropriately, it was just a nightmare for the borrowers, who were very happy to see me. Sometimes it works out to go even though you don't reach the borrowers. I also made a great contact. Their son owns a bike shop in Santa Barbara, and someone the most famous people in the world buy their bikes from him, most of whom are household names for all of us.

You just never know.

Reply by Julie/MI on 8/11/13 9:00am
Msg #480059

Seems the mortgagor's should have come out of the woods and been proactive.

I don't care where people want to sign, and if it's outside the box, the mortgagors should know communication is limited and reached out to you as well.

Reply by MW/VA on 8/11/13 12:04pm
Msg #480078

Won't be a dead horse here, but I wouldn't have gone

for several reasons: couldn't confirm, would have checked location on mapquest & not gone for safety issues. IMO this was an unreasonable request from the get-go. Setting appts. to the convenience of the borrower is one thing, but trying to find them in a remote camping location is another thing altogether.
The tc's are not in our shoes. Yes, we understand that docs are date sensitive, but there are limits as to what we're expected to do.

Reply by Notarysigner on 8/11/13 7:24pm
Msg #480124

Agree MW..I find it interesting that a lot of notaries don't

take advantage of the resources we have avail to make our jobs easier and safer. Google maps, for reference points and crimemapper, to read about's what's been happening in that neighborhood!

Reply by HrdwrkrVA on 8/12/13 11:27am
Msg #480173

I've had TCs & SS's tell me:Just go -"they're expecting you"

I tell them:
-I'm expecting them - to call me back!
- I need a good # in case I get lost or delayed!
Not able to confirm w/ BO? Not able to do signing!
It really is NOTHING to them if you waste your time & gas!
I confirmed w/ BO, couldn't find address (it was pitch dark in the woods!) & they wouldn't answer phone. Went home... threy called & of course they wanted me to come back, but I didn't - it was after 9:30 pm!!!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.