Notary Rotary
We're all so distracted! Be aware!
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to August, 2013 Index

Posted by 101livescan on 8/29/13 9:37am
Msg #482457

Recently, Belinda posted about a woman who turned up missing and found dead two weeks later. She had posted a flyer offering a reward for her lost dog. Here's the story. The lady was a Federal public defender, and I'm pretty sure she had some training in her career about self defense, etc. She became a victim herself.

We can't be too careful out there!

http://abcnews.go.com/US/sandra-coke-body-identified-missing-california-federal-investigator/story?id=19951469

Reply by rolomia on 8/29/13 10:03am
Msg #482463

When meeting starngers, always take a friend.

Sadly, the police aren't going to be much help in such a situation. Most crimes go unpunished b/c there is little to no DNA or physical evidence linking the perpetrator to the actual crime. If there is DNA at the crime scene, it doesn't prove much, anymore. Public cameras would do more to prevent crime then the police are able to. If cameras were mounted to every light pole on every street corner, the crime rate would drop, significantly. Though the police do the best the can, they cannot be everywhere at once.

Most police departments are overburdened, underfunded and abused. I have a lot of respect for our law enforcement officers. Unfortunately, it isn't enough to prevent crime. Most of the time, they are responding to so many calls or only have a few officers on duty due to lack of funding, that it takes 30 mins. or more for them to respond to a call. By then, the perpetrator is long gone. Most officers can only take a report at that point. In such instances, their usefulness has deteriorated into that of a news reporter. JMHO

Reply by jba/fl on 8/29/13 11:57am
Msg #482481

Re: When meeting starngers, always take a friend.

Oh, yes, cameras on every corner. A veritable police state in the making.

Just what we want? no

Reply by rolomia on 8/29/13 5:55pm
Msg #482534

Don't want cameras? Fine! Don't complain when crime happens.

The people who hate cameras sue everybody when they become a victim of crime, assuming they live to tell about it. Unless those who hate cameras are doing something wrong or have a guilty conscience, why should they have a problem with cameras? I have several cameras on my property + an alarm system + considerable outdoor lighting + fencing around my property. Yet, I still leave my property, everyday. I don't live in fear. But, I'm not ignorant of crime, either. It's called preparation, vigilance, awareness. Unlike some people, I don't label every action our police make toward preventing crime as leading to a police state. JMHO

Reply by jba/fl on 8/29/13 11:22pm
Msg #482599

ROFLMAO. I hope you find a relaxing moment soon. n/m

Reply by Darlin_AL on 8/29/13 10:03am
Msg #482464

This is one reason I load all destinations onto g-----maps

and usually use it to find the exact residence on the county road w/no numbered mailbox at the drive. Anyway, I leave the location-thingy app on until I leave the place & instructed my family of my methodology. Also, there's the AVG find-my-phone free app which coordinates w the computer. We all have heard of drivers who have gone off the road at night & crashed in a forest or pond---no one seeing their car; searchers discover it days later, etc. So this is a very simple way, not 100% protection against wierdos (but neither is Mr S & W) or mishaps while we're going about our job. Remote areas can be every bit as sketchy as anywhere else.

Reply by Sandra G Holland on 8/29/13 10:20pm
Msg #482585

Re: This is one reason I load all destinations onto g-----maps

I don't like cameras because I don't want anyone to see me pick my nose, ha. Cameras get dusty and have to be cleaned. By the way, have you ever seen a good picture from a security camera? Roadside cameras are useful only in high-traffic areas, where there is a greater likelihood of witnesses, anyway. Elsewhere, they would be expensive. Phones don't always work in remote areas. I think that cell phone towers in remote areas should be of more concern to government than many of the things that government does. After all, they sponsored rural home delivery and rural electrification. Leaving a phone on GPS doesn't work if the phone is stolen. As I understand it, from a poorly-remembered news report from months ago, at least one of the cell phone companies can access data from the phone from their corporate offices when the police need information and the phone has been stolen or disappeared. Since customers pay for cell phones, the extra towers would not be a money drain. Taking a friend doesn't guarantee that the friend doesn't get murdered/kidnapped, too. Our world is a very evil place.

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 8/29/13 11:17pm
Msg #482596

I'm sure the Boston bombers would have loved .....

not having their faces and their activities recorded by cameras! Yes, let's take down all cameras so we have no leads or evidence on people like them ...

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.