Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Work for the Biggest Stars! WORK FOR THE BEST!
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to August, 2013 Index

Posted by 101livescan on 8/11/13 9:35am
Msg #480061

I'm nearing the beginning of the end of my notary career, I have a five year plan. My goal is to go out with a HUGE BANG! I will then become a full time rancher, living on the land, close to the earth, no more freeway hugging! late docs, no show, no sign borrowers! I'll miss it like heck!

So for the next five years of my notary career, I plan to work only for the best. 12 years ago when I first began doing this NSA work on a full time basis, I pretty much worked for any one who called me. I listed myself every where possible, and the phone rang nonstop every day.

However, I quickly learned not to work for DEADBEATS 101, as Les wrote yesterday. There were fewer of these DEADBEATS then, although companies like SOX lasted far too long before their ultimate demise. We still have Nations Direct and the remnants of FINAL LINK sucking the life out of notaries, tried and true to their lackluster business acumen.

So my motto is, WORK FOR ONLY THE BEST, and leave the rest to die on the vine, as they will over the next six months if we COLLECTIVELY refuse their paltry offers. WHY wait for slow pay, no pay results? I will love and cherish my work for the next five years and then happily step aside, and hope that others will carry the baton and help these DEADBEATS to their ultimate demise, sooner than later.

Happy Sunday everyone. Got a new washing machine, after two months without one, trying to get the sick one well, ultimately not doable, so far 10 full machine loads, the new GE works like a charm. Writing Maytag a letter because this Neptune was a piece of crappola. According to their ads, weren't they supposed to last a life time?

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 8/11/13 9:41am
Msg #480062

Will never get rid of the deadbeats as long as there

are notaries with the mindset as displayed elsewhere that I saw yesterday.

"70 low? that may be but one has to cut their teeth somewhere. How else does one build up confidence and resume?
Besides, that's what they offer - I'm betting that once I am established with them (and others) I can demand more. In the mean time, I'll take as many $70 jobs they want to throw my way"

Reply by Les_CO on 8/11/13 10:53am
Msg #480070

Re: Will never get rid of the deadbeats as long as there

There are many in this business that should not be. Some are desperate, some stupid; all easy prey to the unscrupulous. A completed job received back on time without mistakes is the criteria. This is all that Title and Lender care about. Experience means nothing to them. To us it makes our job easier, to the LO it could mean a saved deal, and to the SS or Title only one phone call instead of a dozen, but as far as price it means nothing. Your first signing or your thousandths should pay the same. This low fee for the newbie is just BS espoused by those that would take advantage of the uninformed. Just like promises of volume (there are no ‘economies of scale’ in this business). The low-ballers will always pay as little as they can, and those that except low fees enable them. We old timers have seen our fees drop from $150 plus to around $100 today because these companies are in constant competition with those that pay more, and there is no way a legitimate company that pays their notaries can compete with one that does not. I believe as long as there are companies doing interstate business without a brick and mortar presents there will always be a need for NSA’s, however I think that need will diminish to less than a third of what is today in the near future. JMO

Reply by Les_CO on 8/11/13 10:22am
Msg #480066

BRAVO! n/m

Reply by Shoshana/AZ on 8/11/13 10:28am
Msg #480068

I love my Neptune!

It's been going strong for 7 1/2 years now. I probably do twice the laundry you do as we are two people!

Reply by HisHughness on 8/11/13 11:10am
Msg #480071

Re: I love my Neptune!

I have become pretty adept at finding underwear sales. The trick is to find one just as you're running out of clean jockey shorts.

Laundry baskets for dirty clothes are no issue; they're quite inexpensive. You do have to remember to always keep one unassigned, so that if you ever do wash you have one left over to start a new collection of dirty clothes. Of course, you also have to remember which of the baskets hold clean clothes and which hold dirty clothes; the only alternative to that is actually folding the clean clothes and putting them away, and who does that?

They system does appear to have an overload point, when the total volume of the clothes baskets equals the storage volume of the bedroom closet. That point appears to be fast approaching, at which time I will be confronted with two choices: Do the wash, or expand the closet.

I'll get back to you on the decision.

Reply by LKT/CA on 8/11/13 11:20am
Msg #480073

SOX finally bit the dust?!?!

<<<.......although companies like SOX lasted far too long before their ultimate demise.>>>

Their phone #'s are disconnected but their website is still up and running: http://www.signonthexinc.com/home/
They're probably continuing to accept orders and hire notaries via their contact page.

Reply by HrdwrkrVA on 8/12/13 11:12am
Msg #480171

SOX finally bit the dust?!?! Say Whaaat??? :-) :-) :-) n/m

Reply by 101livescan on 8/11/13 11:52am
Msg #480076

FYI, soap dispenser developed a leak, water rusted out the panel board, wouldn't spin or drain, cost to fix more than I paid, $800 8 years ago, let's see that 96 months into $800, $8.33 a month to not have to cart everything down to a 24-hour coin laundry sharing machines with who knows who/what. Guess I got my $$s worth. (There are no Chinese laundries in my neck of the woods and what happened to fluff and fold???)

Now, having stocked up on new under gear, the old stuff is getting recycled to the trash heap, or the rag box, whichever is appropriate, Feels brand new around here, and everything is cool again.

Reply by CopperheadVA on 8/11/13 2:32pm
Msg #480091

I got a Neptune washer in 2000 and it was a total piece of junk. Repaired it under warranty and then also when it was out of warranty. Finally got rid of it because I was tired of dealing with it - total waste of good money. Also had a bad Maytag refrigerator bought at the same time. I will never buy another Maytag product ever.

Reply by jba/fl on 8/11/13 5:25pm
Msg #480106

I have a Maytag stove that I would use as an anchor if it weren't so difficult to get out of my house into a kayak. After 2 years, the handle feel off the front of the oven right into my hand. When I contacted them they said it was too old, not built to last forever and that it was time for a new one. I still have the stove, working, but without the handle on the front. So much for the Maytag man not being busy....it is because it is not fixable.

Bah!

Reply by 101livescan on 8/11/13 6:10pm
Msg #480111

I have all new kitchen appliances waiting to be installed in my new kitchen...JennAire. Why? A very wise, wealthy, experienced kitchen designer told me they are the best bet and that's what she put into her new home in Montecito next door to Steve Martin's newly decorated home. No nonsense. She had paid $12000 for a Wolf range and was dismally disappointed when it broke and needed $000s to fix. Never again!

Reply by jba/fl on 8/11/13 8:07pm
Msg #480134

Jenn Air was Maytag, bought by Whirlpool and now made by them.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 8/11/13 9:38pm
Msg #480145

Interesting... New kitchen appliances are on my to do list, too. However, my washer/dryer (I'm almost afraid to say anything...) I bought from Sears (Kenmore) nearly 18 years ago and they're both still going strong. I've never any problems with either one (thank goodness!) My Kenmore refrigerator is almost that old - and is the only appliance in my kitchen that I don't really need to replace.

HOWEVER.... we've all heard the old expression about machines not being made like they used to be. Part of it, I think, is because there are so many electronic components in things and they seem to break down faster than basic hardware. The new features can be great, but as with so many other things, I'd rather have something that works well for the basics and lasts a long time, than something with bells and whistles I'm unlikely to use that will need fixing or replacing... (Yikes! I'm beginning to sound my age! Oh no!!!! Wink)

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.