Notary Rotary
?? copies of ID's
Notary Discussion History

?? copies of ID's
Go Back to August, 2013 Index

Posted by Ireneky on 8/10/13 11:32am
Msg #479965

?? copies of ID's

Have a closing with SS not TC they want me to email or fax copies of borrowers ID's to them. I have no problem sending back with docs, but email or fax to SS Why do they need them sounds shady to me. May have to turn this back to them. I know I don't want my ID emailed or faxed. Would you do this?

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 8/10/13 11:39am
Msg #479966

Only one company I've worked for has asked for that

and I comply...BUT - I ask borrowers to please have two copies of their photo ID for me - I then tell them I need one copy to send back with the package and one copy to fax back to the company with my report. This way borrowers know what's happening with their ID.

If you scan and e-mail it, it's probably safer cuz it can be encrypted.

JMO

Reply by Karla/OR on 8/10/13 1:33pm
Msg #479978

I did not detect anything "shady" from your description. Perhaps I would if this was a documented (on Signing Central) low star shady company.

I agree with Linda's response and would handle it accordingly.

Have a nice weekend.

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 8/10/13 2:29pm
Msg #479986

This is EXACTLY why I would never ....

... never use a mobile NSA (if I could help it) to close any loan I may do cos they might be faxing back a copy of my ID to a SS - none of which is regulated in any sense of the word, none of which has any privacy obligations ... or probably any respect for privacy. And none has absolutely any need to have a copy of anybody's ID for their files or for any other reason. And what do they do with this copy when they go out of business in the dead of night as many do?

TCs and lenders are bad enough when it comes to privacy, but you might as well be handing over all your personal info to a crook. Oh, that reminds me: how about that SS owned by a convicted identity thief? Gee, wonder if she requested copies of borrower IDs to go back to her separately. And she's not the only SS owner who grew up on the wrong side of the law, not to mention their unvetted employees. Gimme a break. Since it's not a copy of *our* identity going back to a SS, we generally play ball if we want to keep the SS business and not rock the boat... but if it were *your* identity, well ....? No thanks.

Reply by LKT/CA on 8/10/13 5:00pm
Msg #480000

If you are computer savvy

Scan the ID copy and email in a password protected file....have them call you on the phone for the password. I've done that with other docs and made the password simple - just pick a fruit for the password and add numbers (i.e. strawberry2525, lemon3030, orange1919, banana8686, grapefruit4774, peach5005).

For more security, put the numbers before the fruit and capitalize two inner letters - 2525stRawBerry, 3030leMOn, 1919orAnGe, 8686baNaNa, 4774graPefruIt, 5005peAcH

Reply by Ireneky on 8/10/13 6:57pm
Msg #480008

I feel this is more a privacy issue

I don't understand why a signing service needs copies of ID's. I don't think it's any of their business. I will get copies and return in closing docs, but not to the SS.
Thanks everyone

Reply by LKT/CA on 8/10/13 8:03pm
Msg #480013

Re: I feel this is more a privacy issue

I agree...I was thinking more in terms of HOW to securely fax an ID copy....but I agree with you that an SS does not need a copy of the BO's ID.

Reply by CarolF/NC on 8/10/13 8:09pm
Msg #480014

They can get the copies from borrower if they

want them. Just my 2 cents. But there are companies that have you fax back critical docs and the ID. Is most always on that list IF the lender required a copy of ID. More and more lenders I work with do not require copies.

Reply by jnew on 8/10/13 9:04pm
Msg #480022

Re: They can get the copies from borrower if they

I wonder if the title companies realize how many times a signing service has violated a stated document security policy. Most title companies will not email documents by PDF and require the documents to be accessed through a secure web site. If the signing service accesses the secure web site and then emails the pdfs to the notary, they have broken the document security. The only way to send copies of documents by email and maintain security is by a password encrypted PDF where the receiver must enter a password to view document. A JPG will show up in the message body of the email and has absolutely no security. If you take a picture of an id with a camera or scanner, you must convert the JPG image to PDF and then encrypt it with a password. You would then have to erase the memory card on the copying device. Faxing is normally secure, depending on how it is received. (Sitting in a machine tray in an open office?)

Reply by Moneyman/TX on 8/11/13 12:22pm
Msg #480081

This has been discussed before

I tried to find a link or two to the past discussions but couldn't come up with the correct combination of key words.

It is in reference to a certain SS that had such a policy. For almost everyone else, it was a matter of privacy issues for the borrower who had zero contact, or may not even have any knowledge that this SS was even involved in the transaction. This same SS tried to claim that they get "several calls from TC's requesting copies of the ID's" - LOL I called BS on that claim then, and I still do. If a TC is missing copies of ID's, they will either contact the lender or the borrower(s) themselves.

IMO, if any SS wants copies of the borrower(s) ID's, they can call and introduce themselves to the borrowers and request it themselves. Outside of the lender and TC, I don't see any valid reason for anyone else to have copies of the borrower(s) ID's.

Not only that, but from what I can recall from the discussions, the SS's that requested copies be sent directly to them, did not include their privacy policy in the closing docs for the borrower(s).

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 8/11/13 3:18pm
Msg #480093

Here you go Cris

Msg #457168

Reply by Moneyman/TX on 8/12/13 11:48pm
Msg #480267

Thank You, Linda! That is the one I was thinking of. :-) n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.