Notary Rotary
phones
Notary Discussion History

phones
Go Back to August, 2013 Index

Posted by Rosegirl/ca on 8/14/13 11:11am
Msg #480445

phones

I am going to be upgrading my phone and trying to decide between the iphone 5 or new 5s thats coming next month vs Galaxy 4. Anyone think one is better than the other in regards to the Notary business?

Reply by Yoli/CA on 8/14/13 11:16am
Msg #480446

I have the Galaxy 4 and love it! n/m

Reply by SharpMind on 8/14/13 12:14pm
Msg #480460

Whether iPhone or Galaxy, it is a personal choice that matters depending on how you will use your phone. I am not an expert at Galaxy but I looked into it when I upgraded to an iPhone 5 this year. If you decide to go with an iPhone, wait until 5s (or whatever version is coming out next month). Here are some considerations:

SIZE: Since I use my phone for business and some personal use, I preferred something smaller. It would be really nice to have that big screen for watch videos, but I carry a small purse that fits into my notary business bag. Plus, I sometimes need my phone to fit into a pocket.

RELAIBILITY: I like "reliability". I don't want to hassle with computer applications/software. The iPhone's apps and connectivity with my Outlook has been outstanding over the years.

CUSTOMIZABILITY: I like all the apps available for Apple products. I realize more apps are being developed for the Galaxy but Apple was the industry leader.

EASE OF ACCESS OF PURCHASES: I like how Apple stores my downloads, so if I lose my phone, I don't have to re-buy all the songs/apps that I have already purchased.

UPGRADES: When Apple provides new features, you are able to download them as long as your phone has the proper hardware.

STORAGE SIZE: I would buy the larger size (36G?) if you plan on taking videos of your family. I currently have the 16G which forces me to just sync with my computer more often.... It forces me to clean up my photos. The Galaxy has a slot for external memory storage.

EXTERNAL FEEL: I like the feel of the iPhones better than the Galaxy; HOWEVER, because the iPhones are made from glass and aluminum(?), they break more when you drop them. I have become an expert at carrying/storing my iPhone without a protective case. For newbies, I would recommend a mid-grade protective case. The Galaxy feels like cheap plastic BUT it lasts!

CAMERA: I think both phones will be great. My iPhone 5 takes great pictures and videos.

EMAIL SETUP: Setting up email for most major email servers were pretty straight-forward.

CALLING: I am with AT&T. It is sooo critical to be able to talk and text or web-browse all at the same time.

These are just my personal preferences. I am picky about my phones and its functionality when it comes to work.

Good luck in your choice. Either way, you'll have a good phone for work.

Reply by Bear900/CA on 8/14/13 12:19pm
Msg #480461

I vote anything Android for a work phone

You can download programs such as FoxFi to use your phone as a secure hotspot for your pad or laptop.

By the way and speaking of pads, I recently bought the Nook HD+ (Android version) based on recommendation here. I got the 32 GB for $159 online (originally up to $350).

Even though it already had android 4.2.2, jellybean os, I still was able to root it ($15 for software) and turned it into a full-on Nook, Kindle reader with other misc readers, several browsers, and many other things a normal reader cannot do. I did this because Nook and Kindle don't cooperate with each other too much. I can use my android phone's wifi or any other secure network. It doesn't have a camera or phone, but still a pretty decent Nook-into-pad setup.

I have never rooted anything and was scared to death, but the developer was real good answering questions and made it fairly easy. He also provided a program to restore it to original if needed.

Reply by jba/fl on 8/14/13 12:23pm
Msg #480462

Nook is really cool. Has MS Office app too. n/m

Reply by Bear900/CA on 8/14/13 1:03pm
Msg #480467

Did you dowload that app from Play Store? Cost? n/m

Reply by jba/fl on 8/14/13 3:18pm
Msg #480499

B&N Nook Facebook page has Free Fridays

Every Friday there is a free book, and a free app. One week it was the freebie. Also on Fridays, people posts lists of free books that they feel are very good. Follow the path....lots of freebies.

http://www.facebook.com/nook

It eventually takes you to B&N page, where you actually pick up your books and apps. Then it safely adds to your lists and is stored on your computer, with your reader there too, and more links to more freebies... What is not to love about this?

Reply by jba/fl on 8/14/13 4:09pm
Msg #480512

Re: Did you dowload that app from Play Store? Cost?

I told you the wrong one. It was OfficeSuite Professional 7, which is now $14.99. Can start at this B&N page: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s/?dref=4815%2C4823&view=grid which was under B&N, Apps, Productivity search. I see Sticky Notes and Animal Caller Pro; a Loan Calculator; Hungarian, Swedish & Russian Travel Phrases; Strobe Light & Flashlight; Portuguese, Hebrew, Korean among other phrase books and: drumroll..... ...The Eye of Rah - The eye of Answer!

There are so many more, plus the Play Store.

Reply by Bear900/CA on 8/14/13 12:30pm
Msg #480463

Correction, the Nook didn't come with jellybean, the current

android open access software, however it does have basic android. Thanks Julie for the recommendation!

The last time I checked, the iPhone didn't have a decent app to turn it into a secure Wi-Fi hotspot to use your phone's data plan to connect your pad or laptop to the internet. That may have changed but it's a great feature and one that I use a lot.

Reply by MW/VA on 8/14/13 1:26pm
Msg #480468

I have a Galaxy3, and like it. I've never played with an

Iphone, so I couldn't compare. My tech guy, however, got the Windows Phone & loves it. There's so much competition these days, it's hard to decide. Then there's the darned 2 year commitment to have to deal with.

Reply by Belinda/CA on 8/14/13 10:05pm
Msg #480557

I have the NOTE 2 and love it. The size does not bother me

Since I use an earpiece. The size is great for reading and can have two apps open on screen at the same time. For instance, the calendar and the email. Can even set it to only unlock when it sees your face. If someone else tries to open it it takes their pic and emails it to you. Cool extras.

Reply by Rosegirl/ca on 8/14/13 10:15pm
Msg #480558

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm staying on the fence while I do research...

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.