Notary Rotary
A first for me.
Notary Discussion History

A first for me.
Go Back to February, 2013 Index

Posted by Shan/CA on 2/27/13 11:42pm
Msg #458345

A first for me.

I called Mrs., to confirm our appt. for tomorrow evening, and she asks "would you like me to have coffee, tea, or pastries ready when you arrive?" How nice I said, but no thank you, but not during the signing.

Reply by ananotary on 2/27/13 11:55pm
Msg #458348

In many cultures refusing is considered rude and

disrespectful. I have a policy to accept what is offered and at least nibble a corner before or after the signing.

Reply by ananotary on 2/28/13 12:06am
Msg #458353

Today I got a yummy piece of Sees Candy. Yipee! n/m

Reply by ToniK on 2/28/13 6:42am
Msg #458370

Re: In many cultures refusing is considered rude and

That is true BUT in my culture forcing me to accept your offering is rude and disrespectful. Im supposed to respect their culture ad they cant respect mine. hmmph Smile

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 2/28/13 6:55am
Msg #458373

That's true... I'm offered things all the time that I cannot partake of... either because of personal or religious convictions or physical/medical ones. Basically, just about all of the goodies are off limits for me -- coffee, tea, juice, candy, cookies, cupcakes, bread, crackers.... no, none of that stuff. I'm sure people would prefer that I be a tiny bit "rude" that get physically ill after eating something my stomach can't handle.... which, sadly, is a LOT of things. Trust me, I've learned from experience that when I'm on the road, I don't eat unfamiliar foods in case my body decides to rebel, because if it does, I'll be sick for 3-4 hours.

It usually makes things easier for me to point to my medical ID bracelet and simply explain that I appreciate their offer, but I'm on a very strict diet. That has always worked. Though, I always appreciate it when they offer me a bottle of water on my way out the door.

Reply by Shan/CA on 2/28/13 9:17am
Msg #458396

Toni, exactly! I politely declined (in advance), so if food is made, that is HER problem!

Reply by Notarysigner on 2/28/13 7:32am
Msg #458376

I carry one of those little 4 Oz bottles of water in my my case. When I'm asked if I would like something I will say, "I have some water, thanks for asking". Usually when we're finished they will give me a bottle of water for the road, ice cold!
Last week I did get a $50 gift certificate for lunch from a couple that owed the restaurant we signed in.

Reply by Gerry Grummons on 2/28/13 7:47am
Msg #458381

I just say "Thanks, but I don't drink while I work." After we are done, then maybe, time permiting, I may partake. I did have one that during the signing she kept jumping up from the table to do something on the stove. When we were done, she had prepared a beautiful meal and insisted that I stay. Her invalid father also joined us for dinner. That was a special
event. She quit her good job to be a care giver.

Reply by Eric Andrist on 2/28/13 10:50am
Msg #458426

Having just taken the loan signing class, we were told to never partake at the signing and never have any food or beverage on the signing table...in case of accidents.

I love the story, though, about being asked to stay for dinner!

Reply by Shan/CA on 2/28/13 11:45am
Msg #458453

I talked to someone last night via PM, but I will say this publicly; offended or not, I'm not having anything unless it's water to go. Not only do I want to avoid accidents, but I don't do other people kitchens!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.