Notary Rotary
Been getting files with fax backs. Am thinking of
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to February, 2013 Index

Posted by HSH/WA on 2/27/13 11:21pm
Msg #458337

getting a hand held scanner to scan the fax back pages as they come up during the signing. Then I could drop the package at FedEx or UPS on the way home and send the fax backs off the scanner when I get home. Anyone doing this? What do you think?

Reply by JPH13/MO on 2/27/13 11:28pm
Msg #458340

I have a hand held scanner but only use it when a copy of IDs is required and they forget to make one for me. I have one company that requires a fax back of the signature page of the HUD, and for that I just make an extra signature page, and take it back home with me to fax. I let the Borrowers know that I need to fax it back to the company that hired me and they have always been fine with signing an extra page.

I am not comfortable scanning multiple pages since it is hard to tell if the scan worked correctly on something larger than an ID (mine has a small window that shows the scanned image). If you bring a laptop along and could plug it in prior to driving off to make sure all the pages were legible, then scanning would be a good option. Or if you practiced a lot first and every scan came out fine. I am just not brave enough to try that yet, but maybe at some point I will.

Reply by Robert522TX on 2/28/13 5:50am
Msg #458365

Bad idea in my opinion. I've had one of the hand held scanners for awhile, but you don't know for sure if it scanned the document correctly; you would have to lug around a computer, boot it up, check the file first in order for this plan to work.

Reply by Gerry Grummons on 2/28/13 7:51am
Msg #458382

I just tell the TC or SS they will have to wait for the FAX and I will drop next day. Unless it's
a purchase it's usually O. K.

Reply by ArtG/KS on 2/28/13 10:20am
Msg #458414

What I do if the title company agrees its OK to do this, print an additional set of the fax back pages only and have them sign those for faxing back, then shred. I limit this to 15 pages. Over that limit I just do the drop the next day. Dont read too much into this, the title company must agree and then the extras are shreded per title company permission. To me its not a big deal.

Reply by HisHughness on 2/28/13 8:19am
Msg #458386

They want the faxbacks, they live with the consequences

The consequences in this case may well be dox arriving a day later than they would otherwise.

Reply by Pam/NM on 2/28/13 9:32am
Msg #458401

If you use a hand held scanner and have multiple pages, it could potentially increase the time it takes to complete a signing significantly. I always let hiring party know that either I can make today's drop time cutoff and they will receive docs the next day, or I can go home and scan and they won't get their docs until the day after tomorrow.

Reply by Gregory/CA on 2/28/13 10:48am
Msg #458425

I do the same as PAM. I also let them know that faxbacks will not occur until the evening when I return from all my signing appointments, so it is their call if they want docs late at night and original two days later, or drop after signing and receive the next day.

Reply by FeliseSoCal on 2/28/13 11:59am
Msg #458458

I consider it an added service...

I charge an additional fee and do it when I'm back in my office.

Reply by Eric Andrist on 2/28/13 11:29am
Msg #458447

Anyone using their iPhone/SmartPhone for scans? I know it's perfect for IDs. There are apps for scanning paper pages as well, that I've used for other circumstances. They come out really well.

Reply by JAM/CA on 2/28/13 12:21pm
Msg #458466

I have a Droid and use the app, cam scan. It's better than my all-in-one. It comes out
crisp and perfect. It's so easy.

Reply by Pam/NM on 2/28/13 12:56pm
Msg #458477

Like Joan, my phone

(iPhone) scans in more clearly than my all-in-one. I use the free Genius Scan app for .pdf. I try to limit it at the signing table tho--too much time!

Reply by supersigner on 2/28/13 1:07pm
Msg #458483

Didn't know that was an option. Will check it out. I sometimes make an extra copy for the borrower to sign if it is only a few docs. Then I can drop the package off w/o having to go out again.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.