Notary Rotary
Best apps to secure your smartphone
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to February, 2013 Index

Posted by sueharke on 2/4/13 2:54pm
Msg #453933

Here's the link for anyone who wishes to read the article. This is not an advertising post, but a source that keeps up with all things computer..

"http://www.komando.com/apps/category.aspx?id=10183&utm_medium=nl&utm_source=notd&utm_content=2013-02-04-article_1-cta"

Reply by BrotherOwner on 2/4/13 3:14pm
Msg #453937

androidlost is well recommended to track lost/stolen Android phones. AS WITH ALL APPS you may install on your phones, look with a critical eye at the PERMISSIONS you are granting to the app. Phone book, YOUR phone number, location, social app info, ALL email contacts, are SOME of the things some of these "COOL" apps are gaining access to. You wouldn't do it with your computer, why would you do it with your phone???

Reply by sueharke on 2/4/13 3:44pm
Msg #453945

BrotherOwner, you and I are computer literate and understand the issue of computer/phone security. Unfortunately, not everyone has our background and maybe this information will sharpen his or her skills to stay safe on their phone and computer (such as reconsidering using IE). Considering that as Notaries we have a higher requirement to protect sensitive information. Any other great ideas you have to help newbies would probably be welcome.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 2/4/13 5:53pm
Msg #453975

I'm glad it's not just me. After I got my smartphone and began to look at downloading apps, I was stunned at the permissions being requested for things that didn't seem to have any relevance. I thought maybe I wasn't understanding it at first. As a result, I've seriously limited the apps that I've been willing to download.

For any of us who get email on our smartphones that include attachments with other people's loan docs, we need to be extra careful, imo.

Reply by Malbrough_LA on 2/4/13 9:37pm
Msg #454021

look with a critical eye at the PERMISSIONS you are granting

Best advice for a smartphone user EVER. You can use lookout or whatever other apps you want, but are they "necessary?" No, notrly. I find what came with 4.x Android to be perfectly acceptable. (Though lookout does have that really nifty push to phone for "Hey, phone, where you at, phone?"

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.