Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Can a Notary Possess Two Notary Stamps and Two Journals?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to February, 2013 Index

Posted by Raj Sahu on 2/24/13 6:06pm
Msg #457523

It's pretty inconvenient to move around with a brief case with all notary articles. Can a notary ---who wants to do regular(not loan docs) notarizations---carry a spare notary stamp ( along with few loose jurats/ acknowledgments) and a notary journal in a more compact/ much smaller bag ( even a back pack)? Will appreciate prudent advice from the experts -- thanks Smile

Reply by Stoli on 2/24/13 6:09pm
Msg #457524

No. See (Government Code section 8206(a)

A notary public is required to keep one active sequential journal at a time of all acts performed
as a notary public. The journal must be kept in a locked and secured area (such as a lock box
or locked desk drawer), under the direct and exclusive control of the notary public. The journal
shall include the items shown below. (Government Code section 8206(a))

Reply by Raj Sahu on 2/24/13 6:48pm
Msg #457541

Re: No. See (Government Code section 8206(a)

Thank you for the valuable info. SEQUENTIAL is then the keyword --- thereby ruling out any question of keeping additional journals.

Reply by 101livescan on 2/24/13 6:15pm
Msg #457527

One sequential journal...this is on every CPS exam for notary public commission.

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 2/24/13 6:22pm
Msg #457530

You can have as many stamps as you want, as far as I know. I have 3 (have stamp will travel), but a CA can have only one active (sequential) journal at a time.

Reply by Raj Sahu on 2/24/13 6:44pm
Msg #457539

Oh I see. Thank you for the input Smile But tell me something Goldgirl-- Do you carry your journal everywhere you travel( in case you are a mobile notary)?
I am in CA as well

Reply by CarolF/NC on 2/24/13 6:55pm
Msg #457544

Yes and do you carry that lock box everywhere too? :) n/m

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 2/24/13 7:40pm
Msg #457555

Unfortunately, yes, Raj. I do.
Basically, I have no life except for loan signings. Or so it seems. When I leave the house, it's usually for a job, and the journal goes with me.

But back in the day when I didn't do this 24/7, the journal stayed home until specifically needed. Not sure what you're getting at, but the law clearly states only one journal at a time.

Reply by VT_Syrup on 2/24/13 6:33pm
Msg #457535

Depends on how much you can charge. If you can charge enough to make it worthwhile to not use the remaining blank pages in your big journal, you could do it.

If the California legislature were fair, when a California police officer takes a notary's journal as allowed by CA law, they should be required to pay a pro-rated fee for the blank pages in the journal, since if the notary has to perform any notarizations before the journal is returned, those pages won't be usable.

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 2/24/13 7:32pm
Msg #457553

Right on, VT! n/m

Reply by jojo_MN on 2/24/13 9:12pm
Msg #457581

Not unless it is for different states. I, for instance, am commissioned in three states. I have a bag with journal and stamp for each state. My journal entries would be sequential for each state in which I do business. If I ever quit being a notary in one state, all journals for that state would be turned in. I could not as in the original question have more than one journal going at a time for any one state.

Reply by Sandra G Holland on 2/24/13 10:10pm
Msg #457596

I am not in California. To answer the original question, I don't have two stamps or journals because I don't notarize in two states.

As to carrying seal and journal with me, I learned my lesson. I was in a convenience store, wearing my notary public badge when the cashier asked if I could notarize something. I went to my car to get my bag. By the time I returned, his brother, the owner, had convinced him that he could get the notarization for free at the bank. Since I started signing agent work, I carry my seal, journal, receipt book, fee list, wording of jurat, etc., in my handbag. All of it except the seal are in a little pouch. The seal is in a sturdy camera case. I keep two badges saying "Notary Public" pinned to my cloth, washable handbag. When I am not doing my other occupation, I wear one of them. For some odd reason, small receipt books are more expensive than regular-sized ones. I always write my phone number on the receipt, in case the client loses my business card.

You'd be surprised how often I encounter people who need a notary "right now". I have been asked for my card in a restaurant. I have done several notarizations at the courthouse just by keeping my ears open when I am there doing background checks, one of my other money makers. I walk into businesses all the time, asking if I can leave a stack of cards on the counter. I walked into one a few months ago when an employee standing there said, "A notary. Now I don't have to drive to town to go to the bank."

If someone says they need a notary, I ask if they have the documents with them. I know how late the local restaurants are open. I know where we can sit at Walmart without being disturbed and where the most secluded benches are if the document is sensitive.

So to answer the question, I always have my seal and journal with me. I don't notarize at an employer's business, as I am not employed by others, so I don't have to consider those kinds of issues.

I used to use journals prepared by others. Then, when our family owned a publishing business, I began making my own. I don't want my handbag to completely be taken over by business so I now use a bound 3x5 card journal. I know where on the page I write the name and address, get the signature, write the document name, the date and the cost, broken down to show travel fees. I have a place for the thumbprint. By reading posts of all you fine folks, I now also list where the notarization occurred and the expiration date of the ID. With such a small book, I have to be aware of how many pages are left and have a back-up in the car.

Years ago, I tried to give some old journals to the county clerk's office. They were refused because the office doesn't have room to store notary journals. I have never asked other local notaries what they do about old journals.

Reply by CarolF/NC on 2/24/13 10:52pm
Msg #457606

Have you thought if selling those pocket journals?

What a great post. Good ideas. I'd love a pocket journal but I'm like a man and seldom carry a purse. I do have 2 stamps. One stays in my briefcase and the other very small pocket size I usually have with me.

Reply by Buddy Young on 2/24/13 10:27pm
Msg #457599

You can have as many journals as you want, you can only use one at a time. One ACTIVE journal at a time.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.