Notary Rotary
Commission...
Notary Discussion History

Commission...
Go Back to February, 2013 Index

Posted by Jennifer Jackson on 2/3/13 4:21am
Msg #453743

Commission...

My commission expires in 23 days and the SOS still has not even gotten to my application...OMG! I took the test on November 8th, and they are on October 27...Any ideas??? I know once I get the info from them I am going to have to JET down to the county clerk's office and file everything...UGH...

Reply by Shoshana/AZ on 2/3/13 7:17am
Msg #453745

It has been said here before that one should allow 6 months.

A little over 3 months is not enough time! You should have taken the test in August.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 2/3/13 10:17am
Msg #453758

Re: It has been said here before that one should allow 6 months.

Her commission Expires 2/26/13.
She took the exam 11/8/12.
So that's about 110 days... not NEARLY enough time.

That's exactly the problem here... PLUS you're dealing with the Secretary of State's office right around the time of an election. When you do that, you need allow even more time because application processing slows down a bit.

The day you take your exam is one thing, but what also matters is having all of the other items are returned to their office, like the background check results. You better hope all of those things are there and done so when they DO process your file, it goes through fast, otherwise, if there's anything that might hold it up... you're out of luck, if you aren't already.

But yeah.... 90-120 days just isn't enough time when you're dealing with an election season. UNder "normal" processing times you may have squeaked through, but that's questionable. At the very minimum you should take the test 4-5 months before you expire, but to be safe 6-9 is better. And, you can take it as much as an entire year ahead of time.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 2/3/13 10:53am
Msg #453767

OH, and to answer her question about suggestions about what to do? FOr now? There's not a lot you *can* do but wait and learn for future renewals... start early... like ridiculously early.

Reply by 101livescan on 2/3/13 11:02am
Msg #453769

Im taking my test on Feb 13, expiring September 1. 2013. I will have a passport photo with me, and I'll do my live scan at the Sherriff's office since I may not capture my own and send in.

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 2/4/13 1:54am
Msg #453867

Are you the Jennifer Jackson who's the Sea World notary? (Wow, sounds like fun). Or the one in Turlock? If you live in Turlock, I'd consider buzzing up to the SOS office in Sacramento and plead for mercy. It worked for me when I was waiting for my second commission. Some very nice lady pulled my file, signed some stuff, gave me my commission and sent me on my way. Whew! (Learned my lesson.)

I dashed over to the county recorder and then to the seal-making guy and was back in business with two days to spare. But it was scary. And this was when there were thousands and thousands more notaries in CA than there are now. 'Course, there may be fewer SOS workers handling notary commissions now, too.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.