Notary Rotary
Confusing instruction
Notary Discussion History

Confusing instruction
Go Back to February, 2013 Index

Posted by sueharke on 2/21/13 8:37pm
Msg #457018

Confusing instruction

The instructions said for the notary personally to make a copy of the BO DL. Luckily, the BO had a copy machine and I watched him copy his DL. Here is what confused me

What if the BO did not have a copy machine?

Do I take a picture with my cell phone and try to find a way to print it before I get home and miss the FedEx drop off time? I don’t like having this information in my cell phone.

I have a scanner with me. If I scan it, I have the same issue as with the taking a picture with the cell phone and miss the FedEx drop off time. I don’t like having this information in my scanner unless absolutely necessary.

I have a portable copy machine, but it is too much work to bring for a copy of one document.

I generally do not bring my laptop and printer to notary jobs. I do bring both to prepare tax returns. It is amazing how many people do not have internet service or are not computer literate.
If anyone has had this problem before, what did you do to solve the potential conflict from a notary perspective.

Reply by Claudine Osborne on 2/21/13 8:40pm
Msg #457021

If you take a pic with your cell phone could you email it to the hiring party??

Reply by bagger on 2/21/13 8:53pm
Msg #457027

If the BO's don't give me a copy of their DL, and I have to take a pic, I don't rush to Fedex, I drop the next day.

Reply by sueharke on 2/21/13 8:55pm
Msg #457028

Good idea.

Reply by sueharke on 2/21/13 8:56pm
Msg #457029

Title wanted docs by Friday morning. I agree that having them receive the docs on Monday was another option.

Reply by OR on 2/22/13 11:09am
Msg #457116

Re: Confusing instruction Is is just me.

I thought we were not to use our phone to take a picture of a Drivers license. I have been told to tell the borrowers they have the RTC period to get a copy of ID to title. However I have a 50 copy machine in my car for that.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 2/21/13 9:02pm
Msg #457031

I refuse to take photographs of IDs anymore. Noway, no how. I would never allow anyone to photograph mine like that, either.

I have a portable copier in my car. If the instructions were that specific that *I* had to personally make the copy of the ID... that's great... I can do that, no problem. But, there's an extra fee for that. That's not "usual" practice a loan signing. But, I won't take a photo of it.

BTW... they sure aren't going to get me to certify those copies, though.

I'm not sure that watching th borrower make the copy really satisfies the requirement... but, then, how are they going to know? It's a photocopy... how do they really know who made it, or when?

Reply by sueharke on 2/21/13 10:20pm
Msg #457039

Marian: great reply. All those thoughts went through my head. At least next time I will have a better answer to such a request.

Reply by CarolF/NC on 2/21/13 9:07pm
Msg #457033

Am I the only one who thinks this is a ridiculous request? n/m

Reply by sueharke on 2/21/13 10:18pm
Msg #457038

Re: Am I the only one who thinks this is a ridiculous request?

Why do you think I post and this question on the forum? If it happened to me, who else will receive the same request?

Reply by Buddy Young on 2/21/13 10:23pm
Msg #457040

I don't like having this information either. The last time this happened to me, I followed the borrower to the nearest copy machine and he made the copy.

Reply by CarolF/NC on 2/21/13 10:39pm
Msg #457041

Which company is asking this? Has anyone asked why?

I most always have an ID form I fill out that I saw the original.

Reply by sueharke on 2/21/13 10:48pm
Msg #457043

Re: Which company is asking this? Has anyone asked why?

Sent you a PM with the company name. Don't want to post it on the forum until I have more information on the subject.

Reply by Dorothy_MI on 2/21/13 10:49pm
Msg #457044

Just this week I've had two jobs

where the instructions were, "IN NO instance was I to take a photo of the borrowers license". If I'm there and they "forgot" to get a copy of their license, I ask them if they have a phone with a camera and have them e-mail to their address and they print it out. That way I don't have a copy on my phone of their license.

Reply by CarolF/NC on 2/21/13 11:13pm
Msg #457047

Her instructions were for notary to personally make the copy n/m

Reply by Dorothy_MI on 2/22/13 6:48am
Msg #457067

I understood the original post, I was responding

to someone else's suggestion that she could have taken a picture of ID's with her camera phone and what I'd just run across very, very recently about Lenders and TC saying it is a NO NO.

Reply by LuckyOne on 2/21/13 10:52pm
Msg #457045

Sueharke, I recently was asked to get copies of the IDs. Husband had a copy but the wife did not have a copy. I ended taking a photo using my cell, with thier permision and emailed it to my self. later printed and included in the returned docs next day. Printed copy was not that good. I ended up using photoshop software to improve it. Do-able but lots of extra work. Next time I will charge a extra fee for this task.

Reply by sueharke on 2/21/13 11:27pm
Msg #457049

This is a good forum discussion as it is pointing out that I was not the only one who has been asked to do more for no pay. I hope some of the newbies are reading this and are learning as much as I am from others about a better answer in the future. I hope this does not become the norm if the rules for NSA change.

When it comes to preparing tax returns I am being asked to document in my files what sources I used to support a deduction or supporting a client claiming the earning income credit because of tax fraud. When are notaries going to be asked to do the same without more pay?

Reply by Claudine Osborne on 2/22/13 7:50am
Msg #457077

I realize that some lenders are now saying it is a NO No to take pictures with your phone..I do not like to do it either and try to avoid doing it if possible..But this was a suggestion for her. I'm not saying it is right or wrong to do it that way..Some people are fine with doing this others are not!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.