Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Do you mail docs in soft pak or the epandable legal pak...
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to February, 2013 Index

Posted by CarolF/NC on 2/11/13 10:09pm
Msg #455372

just had this discussion with someone and now I'm curious. I switched to the soft pak at the recommendation of someone, but I'm sure the docs don't fare as well but the cardboard is apparently more costly to mail.

Reply by jba/fl on 2/11/13 10:16pm
Msg #455374

Sturdy Pak.

These companies negotiate their rates for peanuts, compared, for example, to an individual. Volume, here it works.

Reply by NJDiva on 2/11/13 10:16pm
Msg #455375

When I have to use the soft pak's I always fold it and tape

it so that it fits to the size of the document package. This way they don't slip & slide and get all raggedy inside the package en route.

Reply by Ilene C. Seidel on 2/12/13 5:00am
Msg #455390

Re: When I have to use the soft pak's I always fold it and tape

FEDEX requires the soft pack if the pkg is more then 1/2 lb. Depending on the size I may put it in a legal size envelope then soft pack. If it's a large loan pkg then just a soft pack. When the docs are overnighted to me and shipped in the large hard envelope most of the time it's torn apart and some papers are damaged. Just had that happen yesterday the HUD was a mess.

Reply by Gregory/CA on 2/11/13 10:20pm
Msg #455376

Same as NJDiva. Fold N Tape to Secure Docs. n/m

Reply by pdl/cali on 2/11/13 10:24pm
Msg #455378

Re: Same as NJDiva. Fold N Tape to Secure Docs.

I like the hard envelope, It assures me that the docs will get to them neat and tidy.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 2/11/13 10:23pm
Msg #455377

For FedEx, the cardboard envelope (the reusable legal size one) *is* more expensive if it's over a certain weight... 8 oz, I think... and they round it up tot he next pound at the PAK rate, not the envelope rate. The envelop rate is limited, the last they told me for documents under a pound. Everything else is billed at the Pak rate, even if it's in an envelope.

Reply by CarolF/NC on 2/11/13 10:27pm
Msg #455379

And which do you use?

I just mailed a one page and I was told cheaper to use the soft pak than the letter cardboard.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 2/11/13 10:38pm
Msg #455382

Re: And which do you use?

For one page? I'd use a cardboard envelope unless specifically requested to otherwise (in writing). A tyvek pak for one page is bound to get it destroyed.

Billing rates are widely different depending on who is paying the bill. Some companies get gigantic discounts, other get smaller ones... some pay retail rates. That's not our responsibility. If they have a specific shipping policy, they should request it as they do the shipper, otherwise, I figure it's my discretion.

I choose the container best suited to the size and contents of the package, and even the destination and weather. Sometimes, it's prudent to put the documents in a legal size manila envelope and then inside one of the tyvek soft paks if it's heading to an area in the middle of a storm area.

Reply by MonicaFL on 2/12/13 8:21am
Msg #455401

Personally, I don't even "think" about what it might cost - I am not paying for it BUT I send the package back in an envelope or soft pak that the papers will fit into. JMHO

Reply by Barb25 on 2/12/13 8:41am
Msg #455407

Tyvek paks are more durable. Unless it is a very small package, I always use Tyvek paks. They are also higher water resistant. I use what will protect the documents best. There was a time one TC said the Legal "envelopes" had to be used. Of course then that is what I used and it was their responsibility if it broke open and sometimes I wondered how it wouldn't becaused it was stuffed in there.

I also fold envelope "down" to meet the docs in order to limit movement and secure them with a binder clip. Haven't had any problems "yet."

As for the expandable cardboard and the padded Tyvek, I don't know about additional cost. I don't really see a need to use them especially if there is an additional cost. Not looking to antagonize the TC.

Reply by SharonMN on 2/12/13 2:58pm
Msg #455505

I love the study paks and the UPS bubble wrap packs. I only mail in a cardboard envelope if it is a small package. Usually when I use the sofy floppy plastic packs, I put the docs in a manilla folder with a binder clip holding it all together.

Reply by bfnotary on 2/12/13 3:25pm
Msg #455515

Same here Sharon. For fed ex I use the sturdy Paks, and for UPS i use the bubble wrap paks. Unless instructed otherwise.

Reply by MW/VA on 2/12/13 8:28am
Msg #455403

I always use Fedex Legal Envelopes & Sturdy Pks. for extra

lg. pkgs. It's just me, but I've never like the idea of using the soft paks. There is a difference in rates, and I've been told it's more expensive to ship in the paks.

Reply by Xcel Signings, Inc - Mobile Notary on 2/12/13 8:50am
Msg #455408

I use the Sturdy PAK and it seems to work well...

Reply by Pam/NM on 2/12/13 8:58am
Msg #455411

According to my local FedEx staffed store, the cost is based on acutal weight-- not type of pkg--so, assuming they account for the weight of the packaging, it shouldn't cost more to use sturdy pack. Every time I use a pre-printed label, rather than one that I generate, it needs to be re-labeled to reflect accurate weight when I ask for a drop receipt. Envelopes are not to exceed 1#. Very few pkgs are 1# or less. I think sturdy packs protect docs more. I don't use binder clips, but rubber bands to keep pkg together--clips add up.

Reply by Yoli/CA on 2/12/13 9:21am
Msg #455414

My docs are always bound by a binder clip, put in a 10x15 manila clasp envelope and finally put into a large soft pak. Haven't heard any complaints of mishaps. Wink

Yes, binder clips and clasp envelopes bear a cost. But, I consider myself a professional and prefer to present a professional package. Besides, my fees take into account ALL my expenditures.

Reply by Yoli/CA on 2/12/13 9:30am
Msg #455418

"My docs are always bound by a binder clip, put in a 10x15 manila clasp envelope and finally put into a large soft pak."

Correction to the above: Anything under 10 pages goes in a letter-size Fedex/UPS envelope with just a paper clip.

Reply by Barb25 on 2/12/13 9:38am
Msg #455420

Smile

Reply by Barb25 on 2/12/13 9:27am
Msg #455416

Perception is Reality, I guess.

Weight: Tyvek is lighter than cardboard? Definitely.
Strength: Tyvek stronger than lightweight cardboard yes

Are your packages getting there okay? Everybody happy.

Then what's the problem?

Reply by CarolF/NC on 2/12/13 10:20am
Msg #455426

Who Knew?

I do mostly use the Tyvek softpack because they seem more durable and for the most part my docs will not fit in the flat cardboard without bulging all over the place. And I assume they are getting there in good shape or I would hope someone would have brought it to my attention. Don't know if fed ex or ups knows what they talk about but I was told that the packing material does add to the weight/charge, but then I assume each company has their own shipping contracts so it may not matter what you ship in. don't know.

Reply by Barb25 on 2/12/13 11:28am
Msg #455438

Re: Who Knew?

Smile

Reply by ToniK on 2/12/13 12:00pm
Msg #455449

There is no difference in rates on the type of package

I asked a fedex guy since I was told I shouldnt use the tyvek paks cuz they title company will charge $25 extra.

Fedex guy said thats a bunch of BS. They charge by the weight and the Title companies arent even using the right weight. They are trying to be cheap and send it as less than 8 oz and he said loan packages run between 1-3 lbs. So no matter which type of package you use, they still going to charge by weight.

Reply by HARRY_PA on 2/12/13 12:17pm
Msg #455457

Re: There is no difference in rates on the type of package

It all depends on the account holders agreement with FED EX. I have unlimited weight on domestic shipments that I can stuff into a FED EX legal or letter envelope.

Harry

Reply by Bear900/CA on 2/12/13 12:40pm
Msg #455462

I only use the Dakar Rally T4 series Sturdy Paks (man grunt!)
They’re powered with a turbocharged 17.2L V-8 that cranks out 730 hp.

They not only get there SAFE but they generally get there before the FedEx guy wakes up in the morning. I’ve heard rumors of Tyvek packages getting lost in Tierra del Fuego.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.