Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Does anyone know what's required to do an e-signing?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to February, 2013 Index

Posted by Tudi/CA on 2/12/13 6:38pm
Msg #455559

Does anyone know what's involved with being able to do e-signings?

Reply by Sha/CA on 2/12/13 6:41pm
Msg #455562

Maybe as much or more time, paper and ink. n/m

Reply by Yoli/CA on 2/12/13 6:42pm
Msg #455564

You'll find a lot of info on this forum by simply using the orange "search" button.

Reply by Yoli/CA on 2/12/13 6:58pm
Msg #455567

But, to get you started ...

a laptop, aircard or wifi access, access to all docs (both printed and electronic) and all your usual office supplies and equipment.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 2/12/13 7:03pm
Msg #455569

And the ability to conduct a signing while 2 or more

people are all crammed in around your laptop screen. Smile

Reply by Doris_CO on 2/12/13 7:14pm
Msg #455573

Tudi, You can use the orange search button to look up e-signings and that will give you a good idea of what is needed in order to complete the signing. There is a difference between e-signings and e-docs and some people are confused by the terms. E-signings are done using the internet with only a few documents printed and "wet" signed by the borrower and notarized by the notary. E-docs are sent to the notary, who prints out the entire loan package and carries the package to the borrower to be signed.

Reply by Frank/NC on 2/12/13 8:14pm
Msg #455579

In addition to a laptop and aircard they do require more time to complete in that the borrower or borrowers sit in front of your laptop and are more compelled to read the document as opposed to presenting the paper copy that most just sign. I haven't done an awful lot of e-signings but I do charge more for them and the TC, in most cases, understand. In addition, I also print out a copy of the e-sign docs for the borrower so that when I leave, they have a copy of everything they signed. Thay are all grateful for that and I also let the TC know that will be done.

Reply by sueharke on 2/12/13 9:51pm
Msg #455591

I once had a e-signing where I had to rely on the printed docs because the e-file company computer was down or was going to close down at 8 pm (my time). Luckily I had messed up and printed two sets of paper docs -- I think my spidey sense (esp) said this would be a disaster if I didn't.

Reply by Tudi/CA on 2/12/13 11:15pm
Msg #455604

Thanks to everyone for your help and answers!

Reply by Jessica Ward on 2/13/13 11:31am
Msg #455620

Yes

*Windows capable laptop with Internet Explorer. (No Chrome and Firefox won't work, no, and Android tablet or iPad won't work, unless you're logging through a remote desktop with a system like LogMeIn but you give up so much speed, and uses so much more data that you REALLY don't want to do that).

* Wireless card or the ability to create a secure hotspot from your mobile phone. Fast connection speed and LOTS of data on your plan are a must, as all the docs open individually as PDF files and they're BIG files. If you're on a limited data plan, you won't want to do too many of these each month.

* Patience. Especially at EOM, the servers are often full, and you can get lots of technical challenges. I had an e-sign that took three hours once--the servers were overloaded and after every single e-signature, the security system locked us out of the site, and we had to log back in through the multi-step authentication procedure.

*A small portable mouse or touch-screen computer are critical. The first year that I did e-signs, I think every single person lived on the back side of a mountain (terrible connectivity for my mobile phone) and was 80+ years old, and had never used a computer. It hasn't been like this recently, but I always schedule LOTS of extra time for these. (And I charge for it).

* Paper. Don't fall for the line of "most pages are signed electronically." Anyone who tells you this has never conducted an e-signing, at least not properly. There's a LOT of paper. Not more than most refinances, but a lot still.

NYCB offers e-signing training on their web site. It is very good, it goes over technical specifications as well.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.