Notary Rotary
Food for thought
Notary Discussion History

Food for thought
Go Back to February, 2013 Index

Posted by Carolyn Nee on 2/5/13 4:56pm
Msg #454144

Food for thought

Some background first. Yesterday I handled the second part of a two part re-fi. The first part took place on Friday in another state and the second one took place here in Louisiana. The docs were supposed to have been sent by the first notary overnight, Saturday delivery. That didn't happen. So everyone was a bit frantic about if the documents would show in time for our scheduled 10:30 a.m. appt. - not me so much but witnesses and client had other commitments the rest of the day. Fortunately, the docs did show up. In talking to the client at the signing, she indicated that the first party was quite exasperated with the notary that handled their part. Apparently they wanted to look over the documents and the first notary was not very happy with that. The notary was in quite a rush because they indicated that they had many other appts. scheduled back to back and the clients were making the notary late for their other appts. Guess the first notary was so busy they forgot to get to FedEx on time. I guess my point here is that it's wonderful when we have full, busy days but don't think it's worth disgruntled clients who are rushed and then job isn't completed correctly. I'm sure that there are many out there that accept back to back appts and handle them appropriately and professionally. However, have a feeling that there are more notariesthan we'd like to think of that take more then they can handle.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 2/5/13 5:05pm
Msg #454147

Probably very true, however, there are always two sides to every story. Sometimes there really is a problem with the notary scheduling appts too close together and sometimes it could be the borrower who is not focusing, wants to read over everything, even the disclaimers, etc. I think finding that middle ground can be a real challenge when you're dealing with different personalities.

Reply by pat/WA on 2/5/13 5:54pm
Msg #454156

Remember the borrower who read everything including the W9

Reply by C. Rivera Chicago Notary Services on 2/6/13 8:58am
Msg #454210

I take appointments back to back, but I don't rush the BO

to sign. They have every right to read what they like especially when it comes to their loan docs. I do politely mention in the beginning of the signing that they do have another packet to look over and review after I've gone and if they have any questions regarding their figures to contact their LO. Its simple. The NSA must take control of the signing as much as possible when they all sit down so as to ease the BO into signing, even when there is doubt or if they are unhappy with the lender, etc.

But I have had one or two that did read EVERYTHING, that took me well into the 2 hour signing range...but that's only because I let the BO take over the signing from the beginning, and this only happened what 6 years ago when I first started my NSA biz.

Ever since then, I know how to handle the BO and my closings...so its on the NSA and yeah, your're right, they may have taken a bit more that they could handle.

Reply by NJDiva on 2/6/13 11:32am
Msg #454239

I, too, take appointments back to back, but I don't rush

the bo. I block out an hour and a half to two hour time slots per closing. There is no reason why it should be unreasonable to expect to complete a closing within an hour. An hour (which is for readers-my closings are generally a half hour to 45 min's) for the closing and a half hour drive time to my next closing.

Carrie is absolutely right. Being in control of the closing from the beginning is what sets the precedence. If people feel confident in you and feel that you know what you are doing and capable, most times they will be more apt to trust you and to go with the flow. The first thing I do when I walk in-after introducing myself-is to say, "I have a great system. I'm going to set us up to move right along and get this completed in a timely yet thorough fashion. Do you mind if I take control and set us up?" Most times people are happy that I'm going to get it done, but there are times when people look at me quizzically and sometimes suspiciously yet agree. I assure them that they will appreciate it when we are all said and done.

I am not a point and sign notary. I found that once I started giving a brief summary of what each doc is, it certainly helps to gain their trust and move right along.

HOWEVER, there are those who are readers. At least if I give them the brief summary, they are more likely to scan as opposed to reading word for word. In my experience some of those include, engineers, teachers and the elderly (with good reason)-not ALL mind you, but they are the most likely...lol. It's taken a number of years to get my "system" perfected and is the most organized, efficient and time managed.

Again, the more in control you are in the beginning, the more of a chance you have of moving right along.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.