Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Fraudulent credit card charge - check your statements!
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to February, 2013 Index

Posted by JanetK_CA on 2/22/13 12:58am
Msg #457058

Somehow, someone got hold of my business Amex card number, address and cell phone # (I'm sure that part was easy...) and helped himself to a Weber gas grill worth almost $400... Seriously??!! (I found out it was sent to a guy in San Jose, CA I've never heard of.) Because it's a credit card, not debit, I don't think it will cost me anything (they are still investigating) but now I'm having to get a new card (Costco Amex) and number, which I won't have until Monday. (And I was planning to try to pick up a Costco cooked chicken tomorrow - my favorite EOM sustenance, since I can grab and run. I have to get gas, too, and I'll be ticked if I have to go somewhere else! I should be able to get a temporary member card, but that will take time I don't have at EOM! Wink)

Naturally, this could have been so much worse, but now I'm wondering how he got that info, since I only use that card for business expenses (and Costco purchases...) If he managed to hack someone who many of us do business with, it could happen to someone else, so be careful. Pays to check your credit/debit card statements very carefully...

Reply by BrendaTx on 2/22/13 7:22am
Msg #457069

That happened to me when I visited Boston. I didn't catch it for several months. Someone bought himself a new book, but nothing else. In the back of my mind, I thought it was my son's purchase, but then when I asked him about it, he reminded me that I had given him his own AMEX card...so not his.

Reply by BrendaTx on 2/22/13 7:23am
Msg #457071

Meant to say, it was a one time

charge for me...a starving MIT or Harvard student doing a little creative textbook procurement...but not nice.

Reply by Shoshana/AZ on 2/22/13 7:23am
Msg #457070

Actually, a debit card with a mastercard or visa symbol is also protected. I have had that happen several times with Chase. I check my accounts online every morning.

Reply by Kenny Services - Dawn on 2/22/13 8:25am
Msg #457081

I had this happen last year, when someone purchased a large expensive tool at home depot on my credit card, the home depot was over 60 miles from my home. Home depot has security camera that captures the buyer swiping the card on all their registers. I found out someone physically swiped my card. How can that be i asked when I have my card in my possession and can prove where I was at that time and day. I filed a police report and after an investigation it turned out that during a recent trip to a u-haul where I rented a truck the guy at the desk asked for my card, dummy me, gave it to him. Not thinking at the time, the guy walked away for a minute came back and handed me the card back(I usually never give my card to anyone,i scan it myself), in any case, it copied it, made a whole new card identical to my card and used it. He was caught. NEVER let anyone touch your card. The detective told me that the crooks scan the card to make copies, the scanners can be on gas pumps and the sides of registers. Is this crazy or what!!!

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 2/22/13 11:45am
Msg #457126

Yikes JanetK Sorry this happened to you and tnx for posting! n/m

Reply by taxpro on 2/22/13 12:08pm
Msg #457136

Someone in another state got my business Mastercard CC number and charged over $2000. I still had the actual card in my possession, so don't know how they got the number. The charges were mostly online charges for Monster.com, Career-Builder, Netflix, etc. No tangible items were purchased. The CC company reversed all the charges, cancelled the account, and sent me a new card overnight delivery.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.