Notary Rotary
Heads up for Noth Carolina signing agents
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to February, 2013 Index

Posted by CarolF/NC on 2/1/13 11:07am
Msg #453426

There was a decision and all notaries must be supervised by an attorney and legislation pending brought by BAR I was told to stop our involvement

Reply by jba/fl on 2/1/13 12:09pm
Msg #453435

You need to do better than this - You must provide a source document, quote or person's speech as a citation. This is too vague - also, since you used the word "pending", what is it that is pending?

Reply by BrendaTx on 2/1/13 12:13pm
Msg #453436

More info on the pending please....

In 3/12 the BAR affirmed NC signing agents' roles in signings.

I cannot find anything about pending legislation.

Reply by CarolF/NC on 2/1/13 6:03pm
Msg #453492

This was for NC and I only have the information told to me

by a Title Company and an Attorney. I was hoping someone in NC may have the actual ruling and info on pending legislation which attorneys are hoping will pass in their favor this year. My work from TC's disappeared and so I started asking questions.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 2/1/13 6:13pm
Msg #453493

If it were me and I were in NC and someone told me that

I would have no problem asking that attorney or title company for the specific rulings so I could read it. Maybe NCLisa is lurking and will respond as she always seems to have her finger on the pulse of the industry. But since it would directly effect me I'd come right out and ask them for specific information.

JMO

Reply by CarolF/NC on 2/1/13 6:47pm
Msg #453501

I have asked both title and attorney, but obviously I'm talk

ing to staff and not the people who would be able to quote me that. I've emailed our SOS Notary Division to see if and what they know. Usually they are the last to know.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 2/1/13 7:08pm
Msg #453504

Carol, based on your other post , I'm guessing it's

TS that told you that. I would flat out ask them for the legal citation. Remind them they're not the only company you work for and this is something you really really need to know. And like you said, the SOS is the last to know.

JMO

Reply by CarolF/NC on 2/1/13 7:48pm
Msg #453515

You have to know who to talk to at TS....and I've yet

to get that far. We NC notaries are all PMing and emailing and eventually we will clear this up. Some think TS buckled to the threat of some attorney, others have heard something going on and some charges may be pending And I am aware of the 2012 ruling and find nothing overturning it and nothing on the BAR's proposed legislation.

Reply by Donna McDaniel on 2/1/13 7:26pm
Msg #453509

Re: I have asked both title and attorney, but obviously I'm talk

2 links you may want to look at:

http://www.cga.ct.gov/2009/rpt/2009-R-0448.htm

http://www.ncbar.gov/programs/auth_notes.asp
Scroll halfway down and read issues and opinions 1 and 2. If there is anything more recent, I can't find it.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 2/1/13 7:32pm
Msg #453510

yeah...NC reaffirmed their opinion last year that

notaries CAN do closings. That's Opinion 2.

Reply by CarolF/NC on 2/1/13 8:06pm
Msg #453519

Does anyone have a Management Type Contact for TS? n/m

Reply by CarolF/NC on 2/1/13 10:50pm
Msg #453554

Rumors may be at rest...

Appears staff may not know what they are talking about. The attorney has to provide an opinion on the title before the deed records and by having the attorney involved early on allows recording to proceed faster and therefore TS probably entered voluntarily into the relationship with BK in order to facilitate recording. Now this makes sense. I can see staff not being fully informed and we are an attorney state for first purchases, so they could have become confused as to the reason why they were now handling refi's in conjuntion with an attorney.

Reply by laurielnc on 2/2/13 1:53pm
Msg #453644

Re: Rumors may be at rest...

I just did a closing for a Real Estate Attorney for refi on his second home. He saw on HUD what title was getting to do closing and tried to figure what I was making and even said he would like to do what I was doing. Young attorney but no mention of me not doing this in the near future.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.