Notary Rotary
How many of you have all your 1099's and is there
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to February, 2013 Index

Posted by Notarysigner on 2/21/13 1:49pm
Msg #456925

a correlation between who you worked for and whether you got it our not?? comments welcomed

Reply by Yoli/CA on 2/21/13 2:10pm
Msg #456931

Still waiting for some.

However, as has been mentioned here, I know better than to rely on 1099's. Last year, I was told by a 4-star SS that he doesn't send out 1099's. And, of course, he's one that's still missing this year. Last year when I inquired about it, first he told me his accountant had taken ill (I believe it was a heart attack, just not sure now). Then, he proceeded to tell me that he doesn't send 1099's and to just rely on my records. My income from in 2011 was well over $600.

For the CPA's out there, is that legal? If a company doesn't send out 1099's to their vendors, it gets me wondering if that company is reporting all it's income. I know, I know ... it's none of my business. It just gets me wondering if that company is as honest and upfront as they claim to be.

Reply by Notarysigner on 2/21/13 2:47pm
Msg #456942

Re: Still waiting for some.

I had a company last year send me a 1099 for $2,700.00 more that I made from them. I had to give and affidavit to the IRS saying it wasn't so!

If it's the law...and they don't, what does that say about character?

Reply by sueharke on 2/21/13 8:45pm
Msg #457026

I'm happy you solved the issue without needing expensive help. Sounds like a company to stay away from.

Reply by sueharke on 2/21/13 8:44pm
Msg #457025

There is a $50 fine (if my memory serves me correctly) for each 1099 that is not sent. Also, any ethical tax preparer will not allow a tax deduction for payments to IC unless 1099's have be sent (I know I won't).

So, why not get the proper form from the IRS and turn him in and get a percentage of any tax the IRS collects?

Reply by ajd/pa on 2/21/13 3:30pm
Msg #456949

Here is a question related to that: I had a company send me one where not only was the amount well below the $600 threshhold, but most of that money had not even been paid to me until part way through January. My husband says that is how their accounting system works, but it is bugging me that they are saying that they paid me in 2012 but I did not actually get paid until 2013. Does/Did this kind of thing happen to anyone else?

Reply by MW/VA on 2/21/13 7:58pm
Msg #457005

I think I have all the one's I'm going to get. Only get

them from major clients (over $600). I thought the IRS was trying to push for everyone to send one, regardless of the amt. They hate biz like ours, where there's no way to know exactly what we're making. ;-)

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.