Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
IRS and incorrect direct deposit account...
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to February, 2013 Index

Posted by C. Rivera Chicago Notary Services on 2/26/13 3:33am
Msg #457848

my son did his taxes online himself, and accidentally put down a bank account which he forgot he closed, instead of his current checking account.

Does anyone know what the IRS will do or does in cases like this? Will they contact him, or send him a paper check?

Any help would be greatly appreciated... TIA!

Reply by Teri_PA on 2/26/13 4:25am
Msg #457851

They will attempt to deposit it to the incorrect account. If the account is closed and hasn't been reassigned, the funds will be returned to the IRS and in their good old time, they will reissue a check to him. It wouldn't hurt to call the IRS and advise them of the error to knock a few weeks off the lead time

Reply by C. Rivera Chicago Notary Services on 2/26/13 4:40am
Msg #457852

thanks Teri, he's tried this and got one of those automated messages...we will see I guess.

Thanks for your advice!

Reply by Lisa Cirillo on 2/26/13 7:57am
Msg #457859

This happened to my son a few years back. Your son will have to call the IRS and they will ask him questions to determine that he is, indeed, he and they will send him a paper check after going through all the information. He should contact them asap and get the persons name and ID number he speaks with. They are usually very helpful. I've never had a problem in getting taxpayer assistance. It's just the wait time, so have patience and you will get through. This time of year the wait time can be as high as 15 minutes. Good luck.

Reply by sueharke on 2/26/13 10:34am
Msg #457888

First, the waiting time on the phone is a lot more than 15 minutes. If you visit an IRS office, the waiting time may be 2 hours.

When I do income tax returns and a person is getting a refund via direct deposit, I do not send the return until the client signs a paper form stating this is the correct account and routing number. Also, my software is set up to require me to enter the information twice. Essentially, I triple check the routing number and account number input.

Reply by Lisa Cirillo on 2/26/13 11:29am
Msg #457903

I guess it depends on the time of day you call. I called last week and waited a little more than 15 minutes to get to the person I needed to speak with.

Also, the original question was regarding the son providing information on a closed account of his. I also do taxes and have a program to enter direct deposit info twice to avoid mistakes.

Reply by C. Rivera Chicago Notary Services on 2/26/13 11:44am
Msg #457907

Thanks Lisa...an online tax software was used but the

problem wasn't data entry...it was a totally wrong account number. He is young, 21 yrs old. I'm sure this will be the last time he makes this particular mistake, especially after I advise him what you indicated.

Thanks to all that responded! Have a great day!

Reply by Lisa Cirillo on 2/26/13 12:37pm
Msg #457920

Re: Thanks Lisa...an online tax software was used but the

I understand what you're saying, the person posting before me did not. My son did the exact same thing. He provided a wrong account number as well. After a phone call and a question and answer session, it was straightened out and he was mailed a check. For some reason, at that time, they could not direct deposit to his correct account.

Reply by jba/fl on 2/27/13 9:04am
Msg #458131

Re: Thanks Lisa...an online tax software was used but the

" For some reason, at that time, they could not direct deposit to his correct account."

How do they know they have the right person on the phone? Do you take ID's over the phone?
Same scene almost.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.