Notary Rotary
I lost a good client this weekend because of
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to February, 2013 Index

Posted by ME/NJ on 2/28/13 6:42am
Msg #458371

Family emergency, had 9am appointment this Saturday and could not get anyone to watch my daughter last second while dealing with issue and appointment. I could not push it off and had to turn it back with only a half before appointment. I wish I could of handled everything at once but I said how sorry I was. I also had to turn back two others later that day and night.

This client gives me 2-3 deals a month and is local she was understanding to me but I know she as a business person had to be POed.

Reply by snowflake/PA on 2/28/13 6:55am
Msg #458374

Emergencies occur, and sometimes we have to cancel. If

your client knows you well enough, perhaps you can call them to apologize (again) and see if they would be willing to throw you some work. We all have emergencies from time-to-time and they should be more understanding.

I was working regularly with a SS who quit using me due a medical emergency with my mom who went by ambulance to the hospital (and I had given the ss 6 HOURS notice to find someone else)! As a result, the title company who used said ss canned her and title now comes to me directly with a handsome fee each and every time.

A new client will turn up. I wish you luck.

Reply by Julie/MI on 2/28/13 7:35am
Msg #458377

That's a shame, I know I have an infant and a 5 year old and when I got started in this business my older teens were little guys and not having a sitter IS a logistical nightmare when something goes off schedule.

After a recent thread on the age of some of the posters, they certainly don't face the babysitting hurdles as we do.

Is is possible for you to have someone to "have your back" so to speak, another closer in your zip that won't steal your clients?

Do you have a friend or family member that could get their commission to help you in a pinch?

If I didn't have my brother as back up, from time to time, I would lose my sanity.

Reply by HisHughness on 2/28/13 8:15am
Msg #458385

***After a recent thread on the age of some of the posters, they certainly don't face the babysitting hurdles as we do.***

Yeah, well, that may be true, but on the other hand you don't have to worry about running out of Depends so you can carry an extra pair in your briefcase in case of emergencies. Have YOU ever tried to change your underwear while parked a block down the street from the borrower's house and running 10 minutes late?

Reply by ArtG/KS on 2/28/13 10:09am
Msg #458408

I dont have that problem, but I did observe a real estate lady sitting in her car and cleaning her dentures once.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 2/28/13 11:44am
Msg #458451

"After a recent thread on the age of some of the posters, they certainly don't face the babysitting hurdles as we do."

I wouldn't make that assumption so quickly. There are a lot of "older" parents out there, and more and more grandparents who are helping out with childcare in this economy.

Not only that, but it isn't just children that need care at home. There are disabled spouses and elderly parents to worry about as well.

We all have extremely different needs when it comes to that kind of thing. Sometimes it can be helped, sometimes it can't. Something one of my business mentors told me once, though... she said, "Your family comes first. There's no question about that. But if you want to become a successful business owner, you have to make sure that you have backup plans for your backup plans in case of emergencies. YOu cannot be taken seriously if you use your family as an excuse. Business is business and it just doesn't care about your family, so you need to make sure your family is covered first....after all that *is* your priority."

She was right. That's not to say that life doesn't get in the way, because it does.

Reply by jba/fl on 2/28/13 12:11pm
Msg #458464

I am 67 with a 3 yr. old....many have children, or adults th

they care for.

Since taking this child my life has changed, along with it my business life. I can only work with certainty 8-4:30 during the week. This has been difficult as I was formerly a night time preferred notary. You just have to adjust, be a chameleon so to speak. No one said life is easy unless you are willing to adjust - always tweaking, adjusting, acclimating.

Reply by Stephanie Santiago on 2/28/13 12:52pm
Msg #458473

We may face Parent issues or grandchildren issues.... n/m

Reply by Gerry Grummons on 2/28/13 7:37am
Msg #458379

Happened to me twice. Once in ER 30 minutes prior to appoint and another 1 hour prior in route to ER. It upsets the apple cart, but people are forgiving and I still get lots of work
from the SS's that had to scramble to get covered. Everything works out and family comes
first.

Reply by janCA on 2/28/13 8:09am
Msg #458384

Life Happens!

Been there, done that with the whole kid thing. I was a single mother for years and lived far away from family. There weren't too many people I could rely on to help out, but the companies I worked for knew my daughter came first and foremost. So once the kids grow up, then you have your parents, so it really never stops. If an SS or title/lender do not understand this, I would dump them in a heart-beat.

Reply by ME/NJ on 2/28/13 8:27am
Msg #458389

Our families are in FL and NY state, someone offered to watch my daughter later that day but I had to deal with issues at hand. I hope the client will call me again someday. With what happened and being a Saturday morning and finding someone within a few minutes was a next to impossible task.

One good thing happened this week a major client that was MIA for 6 plus weeks with a few phone calls and speaking with the right people five minutes after I was done boom work for the week. Almost back to normal. This client could make or beak my months.

Reply by jba/fl on 2/28/13 10:35am
Msg #458420

See....out of all bad comes some good. don't panic. n/m

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 2/28/13 1:18pm
Msg #458494

Depending on the type of emergency and how long you'll be tied up, also consider calling the borrowers first and throwing yourself at their mercy for a possible resked later that day before turning it back to hiring agency...

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.