Notary Rotary
Insured Closings
Notary Discussion History

Insured Closings
Go Back to February, 2013 Index

Posted by Orange78 on 2/1/13 1:56pm
Msg #453460

Insured Closings

Has anyone done signings for this company. I can't get them to pay, much less answer emails. Plus have tried to call and no one answers the phone??

Reply by Barbara___IL on 2/1/13 1:58pm
Msg #453462

They are a bad non-paying company.

Reply by Moneyman/TX on 2/1/13 2:30pm
Msg #453469

My suggestion when companies do not pay, is to contact title and the lender by phone to let them know and ask for their help. Then follow up both phone calls with a certified letter with return receipt, USPS, referencing the phone call, who you spoke with, date & time, details of the situation, and requesting payment and/or assistance in receiving payment from the SS they hired for a job completed on their behalf. In this case, I would probably also reference NotRot and their ratings/comments in SC regarding this company, with a link directly to their SC page. I would also send a certified letter to the SS, and if you made it clear in your confirmation to them and on the invoice that late and/or collection charges may apply for late or non-payments, I would add the postage costs to their invoice.

If still no help, the certified letters may help you in court, if you have to file on the company and at the very least, you may be able to help someone else down the road if the same title and/or lender hires the same company and they are stiffing other people. It's too easy to claim that they never spoke with someone on the phone regarding non-payment for their signings or to say something along the lines of "that person doesn't work here any longer and he never told anyone here about this company not paying." Once they receive the certified letters, they can no longer claim that they are unaware of hiring a SS company that does not pay its sub-contractors for their loan signings that they are requesting.

If nothing else, that last part may help you feel better if you forward the information to another NSA that got stiffed after they received the certified letter(s) and they get title to pay them, win in court, or it helps to put the non-paying company out of business.

Insured Closings, as you can see by the link to SC, has a very long history of non-payment.

Reply by PegiT_MN on 2/1/13 2:38pm
Msg #453472

First of all, the title companies that use this deadbeat company already know she doesn't pay her notaires, or she pays them with bounced checks.....they don't care....otherwise she would have went out of business a long time ago.

I am going to tell you how you get your money from Susan Harvey of Insured Closings......the same way I did. It is very obvious that she has a long history of not paying notaries and paying them with bounced checks. I threatened to turn her in to the Ohio Attorney General's Office, the Ohio Secretary of State, and her local county attorney's office for theft by swindle.

I had my check by the end of the week.

Reply by Moneyman/TX on 2/1/13 3:21pm
Msg #453476

If I were in the OP's position, I would do the same thing you mentioned as well.

Since there may be multiple TC's that may hire Insured Closings (or any non-paying SS company), some for a large volume and some on an as needed basis, I would still call and send certified letters. If they continue to hire deadbeat SS companies after being notified, imo, they may be liable for payment to the NSA directly if the SS does not pay. Without proof that they know prior to hiring the deadbeat SS company (any), it may be hard, if not impossible, to try to hold the TC responsible for payment.

The lender should also be aware that the TC they are hiring and paying has outsourced the scheduling to a non-paying (i.e. deadbeat) SS company. Lenders have their own reputations to think about and the vast majority of them would not want to be associated with TC's that hire non-paying SS companies. Just the thought that the local NSA ~ might ~ mention to their customer (the borrower), even in passing (not as a request to be paid), that they were not paid for their services in connection with their loan, would reflect badly on the lender.

I wouldn't request that any BO pay twice for my services, but, I would not have any issue with the BO finding out that I was not paid for my services on their loan with ABC bank or lender. They have a right to know that they were charged for something in connection with their loan and not all parties received final payment for their services, imo. If it were me that was the BO in a situation like that, there is no way I would refer anyone to that lender until I knew everyone was paid. I would let the lender, or my LO at the very least, know about the situation so that they could have an opportunity to make things right.

Disclaimer: I'm not an attorney and this is not legal advise, etc., etc., etc.

Reply by MikeC/TX on 2/1/13 6:30pm
Msg #453496

I like the idea of telling the lender that you will inform the borrower you were never paid for the closing. You can't demand that the lender pay you, because they never hired you. You also can't demand that the borrower pay your fee, because they already have, but you CAN let them know that the money they paid was never used for that purpose. The potential bad PR for the lender might be enough to prod the lender into doing something to get you the money you're owed.

Reply by Orange78 on 2/2/13 9:25pm
Msg #453702

Thanks to everyone for the input on these companies that fail to pay us. We are the ones who face the elements of weather and whatever else we have to deal with to get this job done.

Reply by BNS on 2/1/13 3:43pm
Msg #453478

I've done lots of work for Insured Closings and have never gotten paid UNLESS I go onto the website and request payment. Click on "Check on Payment" and it will take you to a pay request form. Fill out the questions and hit submit. Once I do that I always receive a check in a week or so. Hope that helps.

Reply by MikeC/TX on 2/1/13 6:23pm
Msg #453494

This is not directed at you - good for you for having figured out how to get this bottom-dweller to pay you - but just a comment on the techniques that some of these companies use. SOX does something similar - buried deep within their website is the information one needs to actually extract payment from them. It's just an opportunity for them to deny making payments because you didn't follow their payment policy. The fact that they never bothered to tell you what that policy was in the first place - or how to find out about it - seems to be inconsequential to them. They just want an excuse to not pay you, and that will be their defense when you finally start making complaints.

Reply by Moneyman/TX on 2/2/13 3:30am
Msg #453579

BNS, this is not meant to be a knock on you, I'm genuinely interested.

I'm curious, why would you (anyone) continue to accept signing requests from a company that you know plays games with you and and the money they owe you? You have to "check on payment" which * THEN * prompts you to fill out a "pay request form" after they have already received an invoice from you?
Do you go to the website and "check on payment" the same day you preform the signing?

What kind of lower than pond scum trick is that for any SS company to have the nerve to try to pull on people/companies that have extended them credit and already preformed the services that they were contracted to preform by this same SS company? For me, sending an invoice IS my "request for payment" form.

Imo,, from personal experience (from my first year in the business), Insured Closings is not a company that anyone should extend one penny's worth of credit to.

BTW, I am glad that you have discovered how to get paid from them and posted for others know the trick that might actually result in the money they are owed actually being paid.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.