Notary Rotary
Key Tools for Maximizing NSA Success
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to February, 2013 Index

Posted by 101livescan on 2/3/13 10:02am
Msg #453753

Five-star profile here with contact information to attract signing opportunities
Answer your phone (for only 4 and 5 star companies)
Get confirmation via email and confirm with borrower before printing
Have the latest and greatest technology in smart phone, PC, printer, scanner, and GPS
Knowledgeable, accurate, competent, prompt, professional and wear business attire only and be neat and clean. You might get asked to remove your shoes..be prepared and do it...
Be kind, considerate and pleasant
Stay focused on the task
Review packages before you leave the signing table, as well as looking at every page for completed signatures, initials and that the names are signed as they appear on the documents.
Report back to vendor on successful completion or (?) ASAP
Drop the package back to TC or lender ASAP.

Don't work for losers and make sure you check out any new companies on SC.

This at least works for me.

Please feel free to add to this list if you care to.

Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest. Mark Twain

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 2/3/13 10:14am
Msg #453756

Only one that I can think of off the top of my head...

Be read and able to think on your feet - nothing is scripted and etched in cement - be able to troubleshoot, problem-solve and think on your feet on a moment's notice without getting rattled - the answers are right in front of you if you stay calm

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 2/3/13 10:16am
Msg #453757

Blah..sorry..should be "Be ready"..apologies. n/m

Reply by 101livescan on 2/3/13 10:21am
Msg #453759

Re: Only one that I can think of off the top of my head...

excellent.

Guess I should have included, exercise good judgement at all times.

Reply by Donna McDaniel on 2/3/13 10:52am
Msg #453765

Excellent information, Cheryl.

If I may add, for those who want to know how to complete 7-8 signings in a day, logistics is the key. Make your schedule work for you. Know you coverage area well, ask for details (lender, fax back requirements, zip codes, etc..) when accepting appointments.

In time one gets to know the different hiring parties, who has the docs the day before, who has the lengthy packages, who may possibly send you the docs 2 hours prior, and who lets you be more fexlible with the signing times. All things to consider when accepting assignments.

It can be done without losing the quality of service that the hiring parties expect.

JMO

Reply by 101livescan on 2/3/13 10:56am
Msg #453768

Excellent.

Before anything else, preparation is the key to success~Alexander Graham Bell

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 2/3/13 12:55pm
Msg #453792

Good list

I would add to Cheryl's' **Get confirmation via email and confirm with borrower before printing** At this point drop a short e-mail or txt that "Signing's cofnirmed for such and such a time" if you know your hiring party is into that kind of notification and many are.

You might get asked to remove your shoes..be prepared and do it...
Be kind, considerate and pleasant
Stay focused on the task
Review packages before you leave the signing table, as well as looking at every page for completed signatures, initials and that the names are signed as they appear on the documents.
Report back to vendor on successful completion or (?) ASAP
Drop the package back to TC or lender ASAP.

Don't work for losers and make sure you check out any new companies on SC.

This at least works for me.

Please feel free to add to this list if you care to.

Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest. Mark Twain
Be read and able to think on your feet - nothing is scripted and etched in cement - be able to troubleshoot, problem-solve and think on your feet on a moment's notice without getting rattled - the answers are right in front of you if you stay calm

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 2/3/13 12:57pm
Msg #453793

Ooops. Ignore above post. Will try again in a minute n/m

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 2/3/13 1:11pm
Msg #453797

OK, me again...

I would add to Cheryl's list **Get confirmation via email and confirm with borrower before printing** At this point drop a short e-mail or txt that "Signing's confirmed for such and such a time" if you know your hiring party is into that kind of notification and many are.

**You might get asked to remove your shoes..be prepared and do it...** I carry those small socks to put on cos no pedicure can cover my gnarly toes, and IMO, most people have gnarly-looking toes. Besides I'm not walking around in somebody's house with bare feet. Yuk. And kitchen tile is tooo cold.

**Be kind, considerate and pleasant** Even I can do that for about 40 minues.

**Stay focused on the task** It's sooo easy to get sidetracked chitchat on yard, dogs, cats, home decor, latest news, kids at home or away at college, blah blah blah. Best to not even get started. Save the chatting until after everything's signed.

As far as Linda's post about not getting rattled, all that comes from experience. As a rookie, I'd totally freak if things started going south. I learned to just put on my problem solving hat and not worry too much about what the borrowers thought about how I was handling things. Important thing is to be yourself (with a dose of professionalism) and be honest and open (without giving away state secrets) with the borrowers.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 2/3/13 1:21pm
Msg #453799

That's basically what I was saying

"I learned to just put on my problem solving hat and not worry too much about what the borrowers thought about how I was handling things"

But not everyone has a "problem-solving hat" - so for those who don't, if they stay calm, the answers are usually right there in front of them.

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 2/3/13 1:26pm
Msg #453802

P.S.

BTW: as far as putting on sockies if you have to take off your shoes, no it's not a necessarily a "key tool for maximizing NSA success," but I did have a borrower take notice the other day, telling me that a previous notary came in wearing flipflops with dirt all over her feet up to her ankles. She said it was just gross. Ewwww.

Reply by linda/ca on 2/3/13 11:13pm
Msg #453859

Post Script to removing shoes......

*****As far as dirty shoes on borrower(s) floor; I always ask or sometime automatically remove my shoes if they have light carpet and especially if the house appears to be immaculate. It is a way to get off on the right foot and impress your borrower's that you are considerate.

And like GOLDGIRL/CA said: Make sure you have socks, if possible. Most people tell me it is not necessary to remove my shoes when they have light carpet, however, the fact that you asked is appreciated.

Reply by linda/ca on 2/3/13 11:07pm
Msg #453858

Re: That's basically what I was saying

"I learned to just put on my problem solving hat and not worry too much about what the borrowers thought about how I was handling things"

But not everyone has a "problem-solving hat" - so for those who don't, if they stay calm, the answers are usually right there in front of them."

*****If you don't have a "problem-solving hat" and even if you do, in case the answers are not "in front of you:" Always have the contact information handy for the trouble shooter supplied to you buy the hiring party. Having that number high lighted or circled makes it easy to find when you have a multitude of instructions and phone numbers.

*****As far as dirty shoes on borrower(s) floor; I always ask or sometime automatically remove my shoes if they have light carpet and especially if the house appears to be immaculate. It is a way to get off on the right foot and impress your borrower's that you are considerate.

Reply by HisHughness on 2/3/13 11:51pm
Msg #453862

Automatically removing shoes when entering a home ...

... even one with light carpet, strikes me as being the same as squatting on the floor when offered a chair. Floors and carpets are made to walk on. Absent some cultural norm that dictates otherwise, my shoes stay on.

Reply by linda/ca on 2/4/13 12:18am
Msg #453864

Re: Automatically removing shoes when entering a home ...

"Absent some cultural norm that dictates otherwise, my shoes stay on."

You have a point as far as cultural, Hugh. I'm sure a lot of my gesture is due to the fact I used to live in Hawaii and going into a house with shoes on was not acceptable, not even to take off "inside" the front door. That's one of the reasons everyone wore thongs; easy to kick off and leave outside. Also, with thongs, you don't have to worry about someone stealing your expensive shoes that was customary to leave outside.....:-)!

Reply by AR_razormac on 2/4/13 9:37pm
Msg #454020

A couple of things that I can add;
Don't be afraid to make a phone call! If the borrowers/signers can't hash it out between them and you have done your best to explain barney style without crossing the line of "practicing law" Call your contacts or allow the signing parties to call their contacts. In essence; Don't be affraid to ask questions and learn something new everyday.

On the subject of being professional, at the table I have found that fully explaining why you are there sets the tone; control the signing. Informing the signing parties that you are not there to force their hand can make them feel more comfortable about allowing this stranger into their home.

just my .02

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 2/4/13 10:10pm
Msg #454028

Yikes!

"Informing the signing parties that you are not there to force their hand can make them feel more comfortable about allowing this stranger into their home."

If they're not adult enough to know what's going on, I am not playing the "stranger in the home" act. It's not my job to make them "comfortable" and to worry about their "allowing" me into their home. If they're such babies, meet somewhere else. I'm there to conduct a loan signing; if they're all uncomfortable, then maybe they're not mature enough to sign a loan. And I'm certainly not going to even got close to I'm "not there to force (your) hand." WTH?!?!? Why would you even hint at such a thing, let alone say it? Sounds like trouble to me. We're there to conduct a loan signing, not baby sit them through some life-threatening ordeal.

And, of course, at the first sign of loan term problems, have them get the LO on the phone or call your hiring party. I'm not sure what "barney style" is, but ain't my job to talk them into anything. And why would I "allow the signing parties to call their contact"? That's the first thing I'd tell them to do. Sorry. Guess I just don't understand where you're coming from.

Reply by AR_razormac on 2/6/13 4:12pm
Msg #454321

Re: Yikes!

I have found that the atmosphere of the signing can be mostly attributed to how the lender has treated the BO. You are the only person that the BO may see in the whole transaction. Therefore, the experience of the BO is going to partially dictate how they are going to treat you. There have been several discussions concerning this point in particular Msg #451976
and Msg #441367 to name a couple. BOs that have had a good and near problem free experience generally have had better attitudes then those that felt like they have had to fight to get the terms they wanted.

In one particular signing the borrower felt like he HAD to sign the loan, he was not sure if he agreed with the terms. And made a comment that he felt that I had been sent there make sure he signed. I explained my role and advised that we could terminate the signing right there or proceed at his discretion. He decided to continue, btw it was a Chase loan and the first Chase loan I had done not to mention a split signing one BO was in SC, But as you can imagine the damage was already done and he held the belief that I was in someway an agent of lender. Since that moment I have made it a point to inform the borrower of my role before they sign a single piece of paper.

Now as far as “barney style” perhaps a poor phase to use in any case, I am talking about the standard documents that it is claimed in this forum that every notary should know. When a BO asks about certain documents, a basic no frills striped down non specific definition is given, its up to the borrower to read from there. Such as, “What is a HUD-1? How does the right to cancel work?” “What is this correction agreement for?” “Need a better understanding lets call (insert name here)" As I have said before dont be affraid to pick up the phone and make a call. I made this reffence to point that as this was directed to "newbies" and as with any new occupation or experience one may feel uncomfortable to asks questions out of the fear of being percieved as inferior. And argue any point you like but in every orientation class I have ever been in a major emphasis has been made to encourge people to ask questions. Out of that expierence I can infer that in an occupation that there is no formal orientation and now no one coaxing questions out of notaries, the likely hood of a new notary asking questions is miminal at best. I dont suppose it helps much that on this Forum inparticular that when someone asks a "newbie" question at some point they will be ridiculed for asking such a question and thus periodically prompting someone to create a thread in an attempt to answer newbie questions in hopes that will not be asked again. But I digress.

I understand that it is not our job to make people feel comfortable, and there is no need to. However, sometimes breaking the ice just a little bit can lead to less stressful signing for all. Most of my signings are prearranged, it’s not like you are the exterminator or cable repair man, You are dealing with not just their loan but their home. A level of respect for that fact and professionalism is required. Goldgirl I did not say to play the stranger in the home, but I guarantee you that you have had clients that have perceived you just as that. And its nothing that you have done or can do to avoid the facts. You have arrived at their home at the direction of someone else, assuming this is the first time they have ever met you in person, (provided you have called in advance), it’s the individual themselves, we all have different perceptions of the same thing. Such as I perceive that people may see me an unknown variable. You perceive that people should just accept the fact that you are there, and that’s fine, there is nothing wrong with that.

For example, I start my Signings with a greeting, I set up and review the notary notes one last time then I proceed to giving them my verbal disclaimer.

“I am here only for the purpose of completing this closing. I am in no way associated with this loan therefore I do not know the particulars of your loan. I am not an attorney or your loan officer and I cannot advise you on any documents but to give you a general layman’s understanding if possible. If you see something that needs a specific response, I have a number to call to get your questions answered. If you are unable to resolve the issue, you can terminate this closing at anytime. Whether you sign or not is up to you it does not matter to me one way or the other.”

I have tried my best to better explain where I was coming from and to try make a better point. We all act upon each situation differently, as dictated by our previous experiences in life. Hope it has helped.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.